Firmware update - Pioneer compatible

[qanda]This thread is about the Asus DRW-1814BL. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]My Asus DRW-1814BL does not read/write CDs anymore. The installed firmware version is 1.13, still I’ve read that 1.14 is not helpful. I’m thinking to flash a compatible Pioneer firmware. Do you know what’s the right one?

This is a MediaTek chipset drive. The only comparable Pioneer drive that uses that chipset is the DVR-113/DVR-1910LS, and I’m not aware that it is compatible with your drive.

[QUOTE=negritude;2451588]This is a MediaTek chipset drive. The only comparable Pioneer drive that uses that chipset is the DVR-113/DVR-1910LS, and I’m not aware that it is compatible with your drive.[/QUOTE]

And the DVR-118L / DVR-218L…

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;2452352]And the DVR-118L / DVR-218L…[/QUOTE]

Yes, I said comparable, as in a similar design. The 118/218 have nothing in common with the earlier drives except the chipset.

His drive is older. The only thing that comes close to his drive is the 113.

Yeah I jumped the gun there, sorry.

His drive is older. The only thing that comes close to his drive is the 113.

IIRC, the DRW-1814BLT and the DVR-213LS are the same drives (identical hardware).

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Thanks for your feed-back.
Where do you find these detailed info about the actual chipset used by the optical devices?
I understand that Pioneer DVR-113 has the same chipset, therefore I could try use the corresponding Pioneer firmware on my Asus 1814 drive?

Well, I can confirm that version 1.14 of 1814 firmware is not helpful, it makes no difference on reading CDs :frowning:

[QUOTE=vasy_me;2452446]Well, I can confirm that version 1.14 of 1814 firmware is not helpful, it makes no difference on reading CDs :([/QUOTE]

Have you tried booting something from CD, to make sure it’s not OS/software issue?

@rivanvx: Yes, I tried to boot Windows XP from valid CD. The behavior is the same as in the OS: bad noise for about 10-12 sec (while trying to read), then nothing.