Firmware Update Help (WH14NS40)

vbimport

I am purchasing WH14NS40 to be put into a new system build that a computer store is going to put together for me. I understand that there is a Firmware update (WH14NS40_1.01-A1 released Apr. 23, 2013) for this blu-ray drive. Is it safe for the firmware to be installed from the LG site without riplock being added to the blu-ray writer? The computer store technician is suppose to install firmware updates, but I am wondering if I should tell him not to for this blu-ray drive…maybe some additional steps need to be done and I should do it myself instead of the technician?

Do blu-ray drives that are purchased without riplock, end up having riplock by installing firmware updates? I am also not sure if I should automatically do firmware updates whenever new ones are released. I have never installed firmware before and am hoping someone can give me some advise.

Thank you,
Licita

As a general rule, firmware updates should be applied. In this particular case, you might want to hold off. There have been some complaints in the LG forum about this firmware: http://club.myce.com/f91/issues-b-wh14ns40-firmware-1-01-a1-334117/

The guys using this drive can probably tell you more. Would you like me to move this thread into the LG forum?

Hello Kerry56:

Thanks for the quick response. When you say that perhaps I should hold off, do you mean hold off on installing the firmware or hold off on buying this model of blu-ray writer?

By the way, I plan on using this with a Windows 8.1, 64-bit computer.

Also, I am wondering…If a firmware update is installed and there is a problem with it, can the firmware update be uninstalled putting the firmware status back to how it was before the firmware update was done?

Yes, you may move this thread to the LG forum. That sounds like a good idea.

Thank you,
Licita

When I said hold off, I meant with the firmware update. The LG blu ray burners are good quality.

You should be able to flash an older firmware on the drive if necessary.

I’ll move the thread into the LG forum now. Good luck.

If I have a brand new WH14NS40 blu-ray writer installed in my computer next week and don’t do any firmware updates as per what you are suggesting (you mention holding off), will the blu-ray writer work with a Windows 8.1 (64-bit) computer?

There are 2 firmware releases showing on the LG support page:

• ver. 1.01A1 Release Date: 04/23/2013
    Operating System(s): XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8

• ver. 1.00-A4 Release Date: 11/28/2012

[QUOTE=Licita;2708674]If I have a brand new WH14NS40 blu-ray writer installed in my computer next week and don’t do any firmware updates as per what you are suggesting (you mention holding off), will the blu-ray writer work with a Windows 8.1 (64-bit) computer?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Firmware updates rarely have anything to do with the operating system the drive will be used with. They are primarily used to improve compatibility with existing blank media, and to add writing strategies for new types of media as they are introduced.

I appreciate your advise in regards to holding off on installing the firmware for the WH14NS40. Would this advise only be directed to the latest firmware release?

There are 2 firmware releases showing on the LG support page:

• ver. 1.01A1 Release Date: 04/23/2013

Maybe I should only hold off on the latest firmware release (ver. 101A1), but flash using the older version (ver. 1.00-A4) or do you think that I should hold off and not flash any firmware updates at all at the moment?

[QUOTE=Licita;2708788]

[/QUOTE]

That is probably the original firmware release, which the drive comes flashed with.

If you are buying a new drive, it may come with one of these already installed. It should in fact.

Check it when it comes in. Then do some test burns with whichever media you prefer. If you don’t have problems, or if the firmware is already up to date, you might not have to do anything at all to the drive.

I generally recommend Panasonic, Vebatim or FTI Falcon for blank 25gb blu ray discs. For dvds, I use Taiyo Yuden (especially their 8x +R discs) and Verbatim AZO 16x.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2708630]…
The LG blu ray burners are good quality.

You should be able to flash an older firmware on the drive if necessary.

I’ll move the thread into the LG forum now. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

The 10/12x family based on a Renesas chipset used to be … the 14/16x ones based on Mediatek are not as good in my opinion…

Flashing an older firmware was easy for 10/12x drives, but I don’t think that’s the case for the new 14/16x drives (it would require either a patched/standalone LG flasher for Mediatek drives - which I don’t think we have - or some other third party tool, but I haven’t seen any confirmation of any of the existing tools working on these drives). I’ll be more than happy to stand corrected, but I won’t hold my breath just in case :bigsmile:

^And this is why we move things into the correct forums. What we take for granted when working with drives (which I rarely do anymore) sometimes changes for the worse.

Thanks for the updated information cvs.

CVS mentions:
[I]The 10/12x family based on a Renesas chipset used to be … the 14/16x ones based on Mediatek are not as good in my opinion…[/I]

[I] Flashing an older firmware was easy for 10/12x drives, but I don’t think that’s the case for the new 14/16x drives (it would require either a patched/standalone LG flasher for Mediatek drives - which I don’t think we have - or some other third party tool, but I haven’t seen any confirmation of any of the existing tools working on these drives). I’ll be more than happy to stand corrected, but I won’t hold my breath just in case.[/I]

Are there any BDXL supported blu-ray writers that are based on a Renesas chipset or something other than Mediatek that would be recommended?

Yes, the Pioneer 2208.

$85 at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129072

Does this mean that the Pioneer 2208 can be flashed with older firmware if needed?

I am also wondering if a blu-ray writer is riplocked, can it still rip anything a non-riplocked writer can rip, just the only difference is that it will be much slower? Or does riplock make it so that you can not rip some things at all?

[QUOTE=Licita;2708957]Does this mean that the Pioneer 2208 can be flashed with older firmware if needed?[/QUOTE]

No, but it is a better burner. There are no firmware updates released yet for these drives anyway, and flashing older firmware is rarely needed anyway. The 2208 is basically a retail packed BDR-208M.

[QUOTE=Licita;2708961]I am also wondering if a blu-ray writer is riplocked, can it still rip anything a non-riplocked writer can rip, just the only difference is that it will be much slower? [/QUOTE]

That’s correct.

1. I asked the technician at the computer store to [U]not[/U] install the firmware update for the LG WH14NS40 blu-ray writer (Kerry56 wrote I may want to hold off on the update) for my new computer build. This is the response I got:[I]Regarding the firmware on the LG Blu-Ray drive, I should give you notice that updating the firmware may in fact enable the 3D support. My builder saw this as somewhat of a conflict. I’m sure your research lead to request the firmware not be updated for a good reason, but it is possible that will hinder its functionality.[/I]
    Now I am a little confused as to whether I should hold off on the firmware update or not. I’d appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

2. By the way, I looked into the Pioneer BDR-2208 and can not find it available locally in a store in my area (Vancouver, BC, Canada), only online. Also, I spoke with Pioneer and they told me this writer is not available as OEM if I want BDXL support. They said if I want an OEM product that supports BDXL the only one available at this time is BDR-207mbk. I can not find that model locally in a store either. I would prefer not to buy online.

207mbk is old these times.
There is even a 208mbk.

I have a WH14NS40 that came preloaded with the v1.01 firmware. I’ve seen it hit over 9x when ripping blu-rays.