Firmware update help Lite-on sohw-1633s

I recently bought a new pc with a dvd burner. I have copied about 50 movies now with dvd+r. There was a sale on 25 pack of dvd-r that I bought. Of course when I tried to burn a movies it said the disc was "not usable’ or something like that. I did find out that I need this firmware update thing. I though it would be easy to go online, download the file and install. I guess there are specific updates that I need. My burner is:

dvd+/-RW DL Multiformat Drive
lite-on dvdrw sohw-1633s

I dowloaded the bsoy zip file, but when I unzip the file it says:
No match drive detected.
Utility for lite-on dvdrw sohw-1633s

deteced drives:
4-0-0-0 lite-on dvdrw sohw-1633s BGS4
4-0-1-0 lite-on cdrom ltn-489s 8GS4

Any ideas

you need a crossflash enabled firmware, because yours is oem. look here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-1633S

you can also flash with 1653s and sony 710a firmware.

I downloaded the lite On sohw-1653s. It said CSOt patched crossflashing,multicolored LED. (for…my drive was there…1633)
I opened and installed…rebooted… When I tried to burn a dvd it siad please insert dvd+r/rw and stuff like that but DVD-r was not there. Does this mean that I can not burn to dvd-r?

You should be able to burn -R media. Is it possible that it said “insert dvd±r/rw”? I use the same firmware and fine with me.

:slight_smile: Leo

OK, cool. It seems to be working now. Thanks everyone. I want to let everyone know how helpful these messages boards can/are to people like me. Thanks again.

With this firmware update, my drive will only burn at 12x with -r. Is this correct?

That’s correct. As a 1633 your drive was able to burn -R at 8x, so it’s an improvement. If you want to see what mediacode is supported and at what speed, check the Mediacode report supplied with the firmware, or load the firmware in OmniPatcher and create a report. Always handy.
Have fun with your “new” SOHW-1653S.

:cool: Leo

Help! Everything on this thread seems like it should be the answer to my problem (which is identical to the original poster). However, I am unable to make use of the Codeguys downloads because I keep getting this error when I try to extract the files:

[I]“The data read from this archive or encoded file was not in the expected format”.[/I]

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.

Did you use WinRAR (or another program capable of unpacking RAR-files) to unpack the file? Windows does not have that capability built in.

WinRAR did the trick. Weird how WinZip tries to open the file? I can now burn 16x DVDRs which is HUGE news. Thanks!

Only thing I was curious about is why I can still only burn at 4x while the others on this post seem to have gotten it up 12x?

The speed you can use to burn is related to the mediacode of the disk. Use OmniPatcher to create a Mediareport of your firmware and check the mediacode of your dvd’s. Than you know the maximum speed you can burn them.
Thanks for reporting back about WinRAR.

not sure what firmware i have but dont think i ever changed it.

does the 1633s work at making xbox360 backups on dvd+r dl media?

Hellow everybody:
I have a Gateway with Windows XP sp2, with a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BGS4.

I don’t have problems with cds (can read, play and burn), but don’t read any dvd.

I tried to fix the problem with DR16BS0Y, but don’t works.

In some post here Leo say that you can flash it with 1653s and sony 710a firmware. But 1653 don’t works for me.

The page http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-1633S don´t works anymores.

Can you help me?

Thank you

Sampler

Hello:

About Lite-ON

Finally I find the flash to put in my unity in
http://codeworks.cdfreaks.com/cgmirror/firmwares.html

The name is: 1633S.BS0Y.patched-cf-mcled.rar

My Lite-On now is only 1633S after flash it, but the problems still are there.

My Lite-On read, play and burns cd’s, but dont recognize any dvd.

Can someone help me?

Thank You

JL:(

[QUOTE=Sampler;2054127]Hello:

About Lite-ON

Finally I find the flash to put in my unity in
http://codeworks.cdfreaks.com/cgmirror/firmwares.html

The name is: 1633S.BS0Y.patched-cf-mcled.rar

My Lite-On now is only 1633S after flash it, but the problems still are there.

My Lite-On read, play and burns cd’s, but dont recognize any dvd.

Can someone help me?

Thank You

JL:([/QUOTE]You should be able to flash your drive with 1653 firmware. My 1633 performed very well for a long time with CS0T. But I doubt it will help. My drive died with a similar problem, it did not recognize or read cd-media. I replaced it with a DH-20A3P, and I’m very happy with it.

[quote=ldw;2054585]You should be able to flash your drive with 1653 firmware. My 1633 performed very well for a long time with CS0T. But I doubt it will help. My drive died with a similar problem, it did not recognize or read cd-media. I replaced it with a DH-20A3P, and I’m very happy with it.

:slight_smile: Leo[/quote]

Hi Leo:
Thank you for your help.

I obtain the CSOT (1653S.CS0T.patched-cf-mcled), flash my drive but the problem still is there.

My drive can recognize cd’s (read and burn), but don’t happen nothing with dvd’s.

Where can I obtain DH-20A3P?

So long and thanks again

Sampler

[QUOTE=Sampler;2054856]
Where can I obtain DH-20A3P?[/QUOTE]At the time I was in for a new drive it was the newest available LiteOn (pata) here in Holland. The same store I bought it from (www.informatique.nl) now offers 20A3H (lightscribe), and 20A1 and 20A4 models. I think one of those will be a good replacement for your 1633 too.

:iagree: Leo

[quote=ldw;2054950]At the time I was in for a new drive it was the newest available LiteOn (pata) here in Holland.

:iagree: Leo[/quote]

Thank you Leo, for your support.

I probe the new flashes, but my Lite-On is still in the same way.

Only works with cd’s.

I think that my drive never will play dvd’s again.

Maybe someday someone tells me why a DVD writer turns in a CD writer.

But it was funny try to fix it.

Thank you a lot again.

I will go to the shop tomorrow to adquire a new writer of DVD’s.

So Long

Sampler

[QUOTE=Sampler;2055800]
Maybe someday someone tells me why a DVD writer turns in a CD writer.

But it was funny try to fix it.

Sampler[/QUOTE]I agree. I spend a few hours to try to revive my old drive, opening the drive, clean the laser lens, tried different firmwares, tried different saved EEPROM files, but it was all in vain. Even a tryout in another computer did not fix my problem, not being able to read and write cd’s.

Well, every cd-dvd drive seems to have two lasers, one for cd and one for dvd. And one of them is the first one to die. In your case the dvd laser, in my case the cd laser gave up first.

Good luck with your new burner.

:smiley: Leo

Possibly the DVD part of the drive is toast. New drives are cheap and the 1633 is an OLD drive.

[quote=ldw;2055973] I spend a few hours to try to revive my old drive, opening the drive, clean the laser lens, tried different firmwares, tried different saved EEPROM files, but it was all in vain.

:smiley: Leo[/quote]

Jajaja.
I did the same.

It was difficult open the drive, but I did. And when don’t works, I began to look help in the web.

One day I find Cd Freaks and your invaluable help.

I didn’t know that the drive have two lasers.

I’m not an expert in computers, but like my grandma said: “There is not machine that I can not disarm”.

Like her, I don’t garantize that works, but disarm is a good therapy.

Greetings from México

Sampler