Firmware Update for DigitalMax 3S163-05

I purchased a DigitalMax 3S163-05 16X DVD±R/±RW Drive on Black Friday from OfficeMax and I would like to update the firmware. It appears that this unit is a rebagged LITEON SOHW-1633S and LITEON has announced a major firmware update that significantly improves the performance of this Drive. I do not know whether or not the LITEON firmware update will program this device and I was wondering if anybody has experience trying to update the firmware on the DigitalMax using the LiteOn Update.

If the drive truely is manufactured by Liteon, but is some OEM variation, then you can patch Liteon’s official updaters with FlashFix, or OmniPatcher should automatically apply the FlashFix patch if you use it.

After the updater has been modified by FlashFix, it will no longer refuse to update OEM drives. Be careful with an updater like this because it will also not refuse to flash drives that it should not flash.

DigitalMax (whoever they may be) is making the firmware update available through their web site. Until the warranty is up on the DVD Drive I will use the DigitalMax firmware update. Since the price on this DVD Drive was so dirt cheap I assume it was purchased by quite a few people. So, they may be interest in the update site. It is

http://www.godigitalmax.com/download.html

Thanks for the link. This drive is 100% identical to the DRW-3S163 sold by 4KUS, Liteon’s OEM branch. They also have BSG3 posted.

Keep in mind that these OEM’s don’t receive firmware updates as often as the retail drive does. You really should consider flashing with a more recent SOHW-1633S firmware

BSG3: 2004/09/29 20:36
BS0R: 2004/11/18 09:59
BS41: 2004/10/29 18:28

i got the bf officemax digitalmax drive. i crossflashed to 1633s first thing. no problems. used flashfix and am using firmware bs0r. works fine.

You fellows are lucky,I have never ever gotten my unit to work,did not try it until after the thirty days were up,and digitalmax has not helped at all.They were extremly slow to answer my emails for a RMA. Contacted them April 26,05.
Their answer was to try it in other computers which I did to no avail.Tried different media also. Now they don’t answer my emails.
I hate to bad mouth them,but if I don’t get a response soon,I will make the rounds to the different forums that I frequent and spread the word.
Nothing travels faster than bad news about a product than on the internet.

DigitalMax will not answer my emails,I wonder if they went out of business.
I may have to have some of the local boys give them a visit.

I tried another email and now I receive this:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

[email]support@godigitalmax.com[/email]

I think they are going or have gone out of business. :frowning:

Today I receive this:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

[email]support@godigitalmax.com[/email]

Guess they went back to china.Another fly by night outfit. :frowning:

Latest update,they finally sent me a RMA and I sent it in for repairs or replacement. :slight_smile:
Will post later the outcome,if anyone is interested.

Well they finally sent me a replacement,only took 44 days to finish solving the problem. Received new one yesterday and it works. :slight_smile:

Hi guys. I am new to this Forum which I found when I was looking for the same issue. I also have a DigitalMax 3S163-05 (16X DVD RW) ready to a Firmware Update.

My question is: which of the two options is better, 4KUS or DigitalMax?

They’re identical, byte-for-byte.

Ok.

Also, dhc014 said: “Keep in mind that these OEM’s don’t receive firmware updates as often as the retail drive does. You really should consider flashing with a more recent SOHW-1633S firmware”

BSG3: 2004/09/29 20:36
BS0R: 2004/11/18 09:59
BS41: 2004/10/29 18:28

Then, today date: Which is the more recent SOHW-1633S firmware?

BS0S is the latest 1633S firmware. You can flash your drive with the stock version found here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/stock/1633S.BS0S.stock.rar No special steps need to be taken; just download and flash.

CS0P is the latest 1653S firmware, if you wish to convert your drive to a 1653S. However, if you decide to do this, you will need to take special steps, which are outlined here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/oc.html

Nice!!! I did it and it seems everything is fine. I proved it with a cheap blank DVD from CompUSA (100 DVDs package bough on sale long time ago). Before this update, the drive could not recognize it but now, I could do a copy from a DVD backup movie very well.

I have another question. I also have a JLMS DVD-ROM LTD 166S in my PC. It cannot read any DVDRW. Could it be possible to do with an Update?

According what other people have posted in some other forums, this drive has been damaged when trying to Update. Thanks very much for your help.

I have another question. I also have a JLMS DVD-ROM LTD 166S in my PC. It cannot read any DVDRW. Could it be possible to do with an Update?

Well, there’s one way to find out… try it :wink: The latest is DS1E… www.jlms.com.tw

Can you tell me how you got in touch with them? My drive died 2 weeks ago. I cannot reach anyone via their website mail or direct phone.
Thanks