Firmware solution to open the tray to the max

vbimport

I’m looking for a firmware solution that would extend the drive tray to the max, allowing easier robotic access to the disc (for this: www.dextimus.com).
It would be achievable by keeping the motor running ~0.1 seconds more after the internal switch was triggered.
Does anyone know of someone who can provide such firmware customization? For Pioneer drives maybe?
Thank you.

I thought the trays DO open to the max?

Couldn’t you just move the switch or actuator?

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2495275]Couldn’t you just move the switch or actuator?[/QUOTE]
There are various hardware modification options. The least invasive one we’ve used consist of inserting a timing circuit (basically a capacitor) to delay the signal generated by the switch. Solving this without altering the hardware at all would be much better. The required software modification would be really trivial for the firmware writing guys… I know this is actually possible, from here:

Nope. Pioneer drives open wide, indeed, but extending the tray those 2-3 mm more, up to the mechanical limit, would help a lot

Maybe it is stupid, but wouldn’t a custom (thinner) faceplate helps ? (is it possible ?) :o :confused:

Another question : will you still use x18 Pioneer series ?

ya i think you can use a firmware for drives in automated machines and that will let the tray open further.

You have not posted what burner(s) you have that you want to do this with.

I’d say ala42 would have to reply [B]IF [/B]he is willing to help.

[QUOTE=Bob;2495353]ya i think you can use a firmware for drives in automated machines and that will let the tray open further.

You have not posted what burner(s) you have that you want to do this with.

I’d say ala42 would have to reply [B]IF [/B]he is willing to help.[/QUOTE]
I regularly bump into questions like: “What drives should I use with your Dexterix robot?” Answering “Any sturdy, reliable ones that open their trays generously” don’t help much, so we look into offering a robot+drives/tower bundle as an option (See www.dextimus.com for details). Regardless the nameplate, almost all the drives on shelf at Fry’s look the same nowadays. I guess we’ll stick with Pioneer drives (the current models, DVR-118 & 218). I just hope that the knowledgeable fellows out there will help putting me on the right track with the custom firmware info… Thanks

New Pioneer 18 series are rebadged QSI…
Maybe you’ll have more luck using other drives like Optiarc, Samsung or Lite-on, with more “tweakable” firmwares ?

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2495458]New Pioneer 18 series are rebadged QSI…
Maybe you’ll have more luck using other drives like Optiarc, Samsung or Lite-on, with more “tweakable” firmwares ?[/QUOTE]
Thanks Lithium466 for the valuable info! Which brand & current models would you recommend?

Hum… Do you need ide or sata connection ? Ide drives are vanishing…
Considering write quality, Optiarc (AD-7240S, or AD-5240S if dvdram support not needed ?) or Lite-on (real lite-on like iHAS124 A ?), or maybe new samsung 24x series (avoid 22x).
Maybe Lite-on, with hyper-tuning enabled, will best suit the “duplicator use” ? They are good readers too…

A lot of maybe :confused:

I know how to patch the original Pioneer drives to eject the tray a bit further, but this will not work for QSI clones.

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2495503]Hum… Do you need ide or sata connection ? Ide drives are vanishing…
Considering write quality, Optiarc (AD-7240S, or AD-5240S if dvdram support not needed ?) or Lite-on (real lite-on like iHAS124 A ?), or maybe new samsung 24x series (avoid 22x).
Maybe Lite-on, with hyper-tuning enabled, will best suit the “duplicator use” ? They are good readers too…

A lot of maybe :/[/QUOTE]
Thank you Lithium466! Excuse my ignorance: what does QSI mean? Are you talking about these guys?: http://www.qsinc.com.tw/qsi/Official_Product_en

I’d like to choose some model(s) I can rely on being available for at least 1 year from now… It’s kind of tricky these days, when they all trade labels… Even Plextor went “cheap”

[QUOTE=ala42;2495520]I know how to patch the original Pioneer drives to eject the tray a bit further, but this will not work for QSI clones.[/QUOTE]
Thank you Ala42! I guess we’ll need to start with the ones that can be patched with your solution. What are the last known original Pioneer drives your patch work with? Is it a software/firmware patch? Could you please share the info? Thanks again!

QSI = Quanta storage inc. yep. Available for at least one year, why not ? But reliable ?

I’d like to choose some model(s) I can rely on being available for at least 1 year from now… It’s kind of tricky these days, when they all trade labels… Even Plextor went “cheap”

It would be difficult to find “real” Pioneer currently :confused:
Available for at least one year from now…Maybe 20x Q-flix drive ? Or blue-ray drives :bigsmile:

Solved! We now provide our systems with drives that extend their trays nicely, allowing wide margin for our robotic access. Thank you all.:slight_smile:

Nice !
So what drives are you using now ?

Hi! Is there any chance to patch sony AD-5280 AD-7280 for extended tray eject?