Firmware SA00

vbimport

hi all. i just bought 2 samsung sh-s222a dvd writers. one has firmware sa00, the other has sb00. i found new firmware sb02 and updated the respective drive (after using the patching utility to make the drive rpc1 as well) without problem. i cant find newer firmware for the other drive, so assume there is none. i have used the patching utility on this drive also with no problem. my questions are:
a) why the different firmwares?
b)what is the difference(s)
c)is one drive better at reading or writing than the other?
d)i cant cross flash the sa00 drive with sb00 or 02 firmware or vice versa, why?

hope someone can educate me

TIA

a) why the different firmwares?

Because Samsung feels like it … they were probably meant for different OEM markets …

b)what is the difference(s)
c)is one drive better at reading or writing than the other?

I doubt there are any differences between firmwares with the same base / date stamp.
SB02 should be better than SA00 because is much newer and might contain fixes, better media support and improvements in the writing strategies.

d)i cant cross flash the sa00 drive with sb00 or 02 firmware or vice versa, why?

You can’t flash a drive with a firmware with a different OEM code … even though the hardware is the same, the Samsung flasher checks for an OEM code match, and it won’t let you do it. It is an intentional flasher limitation.

However, you can crossflash between OEM codes easily, but telling the flasher to behave … i.e. running it with the -nocheck option.

hi. tnx for reply. Samsung told me there is no difference between the SA00 and the SB01 firmwares. they also told me there was no newer firmware, which obviously is a mistake, as there is SB02. i have updated the respective drive with this firmware, rpc1 ing it at the same time.
sorry for not understanding, but where is the ‘nocheck’ option you refer to? is it a ‘tick box’ to enable-disable this option, perhaps in the flash tool? assuming the SB02 firmware is better, will it go straight on to the SA00 drive, or must i put SB00 firmware on first? dont want to cock up, if i can help it. would appreciate further info, please

is no one able to advise on the points i have raised?

Hi,[QUOTE=kevpc;2477932]is no one able to advise on the points i have raised?[/QUOTE]The nocheck-thing is covered by the FAQ.

And of course, you can directly flash the firmware you want. No need for an “interim” firmware (had an ancient Acer 4x CDRW that needed such. But this was nearly a decade ago)

Michael

hi mciahel. tnx for reply. i have the same flasher, TSDNWIN, as shown in the pic under the ‘how to flash’ link you put in with your answer. i can see in the pic where it says ‘no check’. however, i dont recall seeing that option or any other when i opened the flasher to change the firmware. if it is there, how do i change it from, i assume, ‘check’ to ‘no check’? sorry if being really dumb here. not had samsung drives before, so a bit new to me.

“-nocheck” is a [I]command line parameter[/I], not an option you can select with a mouseclick. :smiley:

Michael

no clue what to do now. maybe leave things well-alone? unless you can give an idiot some idiot proof directions or pics, of course.

Hi,

unless you can give an idiot some idiot proof directions
the FAQ has all information, so an experienced user can go ahead.
There is no “idiot proof description” since we do not want to encourage novice users to do things they may regret then.
Any firmware update has some risk of killing the drive. That risk is higher if you disable the flasher’s hardware check. Also, crossflashing (that way) voids your warranty.

Michael

tnx for info and warning. think i’ll wait and see how things go with the firmware that is on the drive atm. anyway, appreciate the help

[QUOTE=kevpc;2477688]hi. tnx for reply. Samsung told me there is no difference between the SA00 and the SB01 firmwares. they also told me there was no newer firmware, which obviously is a mistake, as there is SB02. i have updated the respective drive with this firmware, rpc1 ing it at the same time.
sorry for not understanding, but where is the ‘nocheck’ option you refer to? is it a ‘tick box’ to enable-disable this option, perhaps in the flash tool? assuming the SB02 firmware is better, will it go straight on to the SA00 drive, or must i put SB00 firmware on first? dont want to cock up, if i can help it. would appreciate further info, please[/QUOTE]

Hello Kevpc,
I’ve got that sh-s222a drive with SB02, but I can’t figure out how to make it rpc1. Can you enlighten me please?
Ballpoint.

Ballpoint,

read this: http://club.myce.com/f105/mini-faq-samsung-dvd-writers-220607/