Firmware question CRW-F1

I bought my CRW-F1DX (external Firewire+USB2) and flashed the firmware to version 1.0d (it came with 1.0c)

On the CCD compatibility list, it says that the drive does EFM “almost correctly” with firmware 1.0c. A friend of mine said with the new firmware it does not need AWS any more.

I did not try this, as I do not want to waste a CD-R.

Does anyone know if this drive is really capable of copying without AWS when you have 1.0d firmware.

Thanks very much if you know about this and tell me

Note that you need a Toshiba 1502 DVD-ROM to verify this. Only if this drive can play a backup, you can say that it works.

nope… it does not work without AWS.

This writer is great (DiscT@2, fast, quality) and I knew it was not fully EFM capable, but I thought “Well even if it can’t encode EFM properly I can use AWS or BetaBlocker”, but I hope they will add this soon

So all CRW-F1 owners (and even those who don’t own it if you want to help) please write to YAMAHA and demand that the correct EFM encoding is added in their next firmware update. Good to know they promised to add more writing speeds, because I got 24x media, and always have to burn it 16x.

Here is the adress to write to Yamaha Service:
http://yamaha-service.de/forms/allgemein-forme.htm

Originally posted by CR4CK1N705H

Good to know they promised to add more writing speeds, because I got 24x media, and always have to burn it 16x.

this was already done in firmware 1.0d… if you turn OWC off you will be able to select 24 or 32x writeing too…

I wrote to Yamaha to add correct EFM encoding. I hope everyone does!