Firmware Patch for Burn-Speed reduction, does it make any sense?

Hi all

I will ask for something here, but I do not know if this makes sense or not.
Most activities here have the goal the get higher burning speeds with better quality.
While this makes a lot of sense in order to save time, there might be a lot of media checking involved.
I want to go another path. I want to get the best burning quality possible.
Time is not my issue. If it would increase my quality, I would also accept at burn at 2x speed (or even 1x).
I did some checks with TYG02 medias being burned at 4x and at 6x on my Samsung SH-202N.
The quality burned at 4x is clearly better.
I scanned with PlexToos XL Pro, using a Plextor 755UL.
This leads me to the conclusion, that an even slower burning speed might further improve the quality of the burn.

1. Does burning at 2x speed make any sense?
  2. could the firmware be patched in order to achieve that lower burning speed?

Am very curious, what you think about this idea.

cheers

Mike

[QUOTE=michaeljeger;1919810]Hi all

I will ask for something here, but I do not know if this makes sense or not.
Most activities here have the goal the get higher burning speeds with better quality.
While this makes a lot of sense in order to save time, there might be a lot of media checking involved.
I want to go another path. I want to get the best burning quality possible.
Time is not my issue. If it would increase my quality, I would also accept at burn at 2x speed (or even 1x).
I did some checks with TYG02 medias being burned at 4x and at 6x on my Samsung SH-202N.
The quality burned at 4x is clearly better.
I scanned with PlexToos XL Pro, using a Plextor 755UL.
This leads me to the conclusion, that an even slower burning speed might further improve the quality of the burn.

1. Does burning at 2x speed make any sense?
  2. could the firmware be patched in order to achieve that lower burning speed?

Am very curious, what you think about this idea.

cheers

Mike[/QUOTE]

Let see I will take a hit on this…

1. Depends on the media…now if your burning DL media which is rated at 2x then burning at 2x on DL media will give it the best burn rather then burning at Max speed on DL media tends to cause coaster. Also make sure your burner is firmware upated…- don’t crossflash it unless your ready to purchase another unit if that cross fails…because cross voids your warranty…
    1a. But depends on the media
    1b. What type of burner you have makes a difference on burn quality.
    1c. Do you need to booktype to -ROM for +R and DL as well
    1d. DL media should be burned at 2x speed and -/+R shouldn’t be burned at max speed as well.
    1e. For -/+R media ie let say it 16x media, I burn at either 6x or 8x…and maybe possibly at 12x but not max speed
    1f., 2. When you burn depending on the burner and software they should give you a option to choose your burn speed but…

Don’t Don’t Multitask when you burn as this is a CPU and memory and HDD intensive demand on system resources…I could be missing more but that is one way to look at burning.

Hi

The media I use most are the Yudens DVD-R TYG02, which I burn @ 4x.

I have not tried Double Layer so far.

Comparing the burning results for the Yudens DVD-R TYG with my Plextor PX-755A, I must say that the Plextor delivers better quality @ 4x burning speed.

The comparison is again done in plextools 3.13 XL Pro, doing all the standard reading tests.

The question is now, can I beat the Plextor if I could reduce the burning speed on my Samsung SH-202N?

Note:
The reason I got the SH-202N was to get better results for DL-media. But as already said, i have not tested that yet.

Cheers, Mike