Firmware options for NEC 3530A

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC ND-3530A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello,

I definitely need your assistance in choosing the most useful, up-to-date firmware for my NEC burner. This all started when I wanted to know if it burns Dual Layer DVD Discs. I read somewhere that some burners just require an upgrade of the firmware to make the burner able to burn Dual Layer. A Google later, I ended up at Liggy and Dee’s firmware page for this model and there are so many different firmware choices and, being a newbie at this, I don’t know how to choose the best option!

Even with reading most of what I could find on the drive, I am not sure whether it burns dual layer or not - unfortunately, that IS something I should be able to figure out!

I could definitely use some advice and, if you don’t mind, I’d like to know the why of your suggestion also - its the only way to really learn!

Thanks for your time.

cs.

Welcome to the forum - love the avatar BTW :slight_smile:

The drive will burn DL discs as is: +R DL at 8x max, and -R DL at 4x max.

What firmware do you have on the drive currently? You can find this out with Nero InfoTool (a free download, if you don’t already have it in the Nero Toolkit).

For best results, pick Verbatim DL discs, as there’s no guarantees DL discs made by other manufacturers will produce quality burns, due to the difference in the way they’re made.

:flower: Thank you for your reply. I accidentally posted twice when I signed up for email notification and do not know how to delete the entire post.

My opinion, after reading the specs for the burner, was that it would burn dual layer dvd’s but I guess I needed someone else to confirm it for me. It’s really important and I needed to be sure.

Not knowing about the drive, I haven’t purchased any dual layer discs yet and will take your advice on Verbatim DL discs.

The current firmware version is 103C which is what was installed when I purchased the Dell Dimension E310 - not modified as yet.

Will any of the drivers listed improve the performance of the burner?

Thanks!
cs.

Do note that it’s an old drive and even the most current firmware is years old Burning DL is tricky at best. New burners are cheap.

Hi,

I definitely understand what you are saying. Money is tight right now but I did find the following for sale today and was wondering if you would comment on it:

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail
Special savings w/ LightScribe combo, ends 8/31

I appreciate your assistance and that of everyone else!

THANKS!

cs.

[QUOTE=Citsme;2116794]:flower: Thank you for your reply. I accidentally posted twice when I signed up for email notification and do not know how to delete the entire post.

My opinion, after reading the specs for the burner, was that it would burn dual layer dvd’s but I guess I needed someone else to confirm it for me. It’s really important and I needed to be sure.

Not knowing about the drive, I haven’t purchased any dual layer discs yet and will take your advice on Verbatim DL discs.

The current firmware version is 103C which is what was installed when I purchased the Dell Dimension E310 - not modified as yet.

Will any of the drivers listed improve the performance of the burner?

Thanks!
cs.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem, I removed the extra one for you :slight_smile:

Liggy’s or Dee’s firmwares are always good, but I never had that particular model drive, so couldn’t tell you which to pick (I have a 4551A running Dee’s firmware though, and have also run Dee’s firmware on my current Optiarc drive).

Edit: LiteOn make good drives also (I have one of the older 20x models) - does it tell you anywhere what the model number is for that LiteOn? Also, that drive is SATA - does your Dell support SATA at all, or is it just IDE (like your NEC drive)?

:clap: Thank you for removing the extra post - to totally Newbie!!!

Ok, to make matters worse, I didn’t think ahead about IDE and the SATA; it’s been awhile since I have purchased individual drives, etc (which for years was the only way I was able to have a computer - I was given an older one and as the components failed, I replaced them one by one.)

How do I know if it will support SATA? I have to research SATA and IDE quickly as a refresher.

In the meantime, the model number is iHAS220-08.

You have been so kind; thanks again for getting rid of that duplicate, duplicate post!

cs.

Hehe, no worries at all :slight_smile:

I think to be on the safe side, you might want to replace like with like - meaning go for an IDE drive. Less headaches as some SATA drives don’t play well with motherboard chipsets :wink:

If you want to replace the drive, but you’re on a tight budget, maybe tell us where you’d like to order from, and what your budget is, and hopefully we can find something good for you :slight_smile:

I really appreciate your offer. The one I gave the specs on was on sale for (NO LAUGHING!!!:bigsmile:) $29.99 and free shipping.

I looked at the other burners and saw that the majority of what I took a quick look at were SATA! There were a few IDE there though and if you don’t mind checking it out, I prefer to purchase from newegg.com.

For now, the $50 range would probably be around the highest although if it were a huge difference in quality for a little more $$, I would consider it.

Please let me know what you think! It doesn’t have to be internal; although I know as a rule internal is less expensive. I’d probably keep the NEC drive and remove the read only CD/DVD drive that was also included.

BIG THANKS!!!

cs.

Hi, found two you might be interested in :slight_smile:

First is the Optiarc AD-7201A and second is the LiteOn DH-20A4P - I’d go for either of those :slight_smile:

Both are OEM drives (meaning, you get just the drive, no fancy branded packaging or cables etc), and the LiteOn costs $24.99, and the Optiarc costs $26.99.

I really appreciate the time and knowledge you have put into this for me. I am definitely glad you mentioned that they were both OEM - I have purchased OEM software before but not hardware.

The LITE ON burner had quite a few comments mentioning how extremely loud it is.

There was a comment on the Optiarc burner:
Cons: Had to look up the jumper settings, it would be nice if they were printed on the drive.

Do you think spending more on a drive would make a significant difference?

What cables, etc. will I need to connect either one of these? Would you still suggest the Verbatim DL discs?

Any you though you’d be answering a quick question!!! :bigsmile:

Many thanks.
cs.

Hehe, yeah LiteOn drives can be loud - but then I find my own Optiarc (5170S SATA model) is loud at high speeds as well. :wink:

Hmmm, jumper settings usually are printed on the drive, odd that they wouldn’t be on the Optiarc.

If you’re just replacing a drive, then just use the same IDE cable you use for your current NEC drive (I assume currently you have the NEC and the DVD-ROM drive on the same IDE cable)…so no extra cables required. :slight_smile:

If you really are worried about either drive being loud, then another option is this one: LG GH22NP20. LG make good, robust drives in my experience - and the reviews say this one’s pretty quiet :wink:

The LG will set you back $23.99 and is also OEM.

Hehe, instead of just answers, I’ve managed to give you another cheaper-priced drive to consider :bigsmile:

Edit: And yep, whichever drive you choose, I’d still recommend Verbatim DL :wink:

Well, thanks a lot!!! Just as I couldn’t decide between the first two options . . .

I just purchased the LG. I read through some of the reviews and they were pretty positive - one guy said that he wished he’d bought two!

I guess I’ll just have to wait and see and, of course, post a message again when it arrives and is installed! While I have installed almost everything on the other computer, except the motherboard, I have only had this case open once. Nothing looked familiar so I quickly shut it. Guess I’ll get over that, too!:eek:

Thank you for everything. You have been great. I really appreciate it. :bow:

BIGGEST THANKS!!!
cs.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2116841]Hi, found two you might be interested in :slight_smile:

First is the Optiarc AD-7201A and second is the LiteOn [B]DH-20A4P[/B] - I’d go for either of those :slight_smile:

Both are OEM drives (meaning, you get just the drive, no fancy branded packaging or cables etc), and the LiteOn costs $24.99, and the Optiarc costs $26.99.[/QUOTE]
The DH-20A4P is the worst drive I’ve ever had, nothing good to say about it. My current Pioneer 115D is my favorite (also have a Benq1640). It does a nice job on my 8X TYG02’s burning them at [B]12X[/B]. Here’s a scan in the Benq.

Although not available, the new version should be a fine choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129023

[QUOTE=Citsme;2116906]Well, thanks a lot!!! Just as I couldn’t decide between the first two options . . .

I just purchased the LG. I read through some of the reviews and they were pretty positive - one guy said that he wished he’d bought two!

I guess I’ll just have to wait and see and, of course, post a message again when it arrives and is installed! While I have installed almost everything on the other computer, except the motherboard, I have only had this case open once. Nothing looked familiar so I quickly shut it. Guess I’ll get over that, too!:eek:

Thank you for everything. You have been great. I really appreciate it. :bow:

BIGGEST THANKS!!!
cs.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, sorry about that :flower:

Yes, do let us know if/how you like the LG! And yeah, my own Dell’s insides took a bit of getting used to as well :wink:

And you’re most welcome, just hope you enjoy the drive :smiley:

@MysticEyes - ow, sorry to hear you aren’t/weren’t happy with your 20A4P…to be honest, I didn’t suggest the Pioneer (116) as I’d read on the forums here that maybe it…needs to mature a bit.

I also like the 115D :iagree:, and would have suggested it in a heartbeat had NewEgg had it in stock :slight_smile:

You guys are great . . . really. Just for the pure torture of it - my specialty!- I Googled the Pioneer 115D that you BOTH like so much and found it at a couple of highly rated merchants for about $35- $40.

I guess I was too specific about newegg.com. That’s okay; since I’ve paid with PayPal (which I usually reserve for eBay) they have the LG ready to go out the door at NewEgg.

I guess I’ll print this thread and if :disagree: the LG goes bad, I’ll know what to purchase next! :iagree:

Sincerely, I do thank you both. Finding this forum has been the highlight of my . . . (week, month?)

Preview of my next question, anyone?
Is there a free program to rename all of my music files in My Music uniformly?

Thanks, again, so much!!!

cs.

[B]I WAS ABLE TO CANCEL THE LG FROM NEWEGG.COM.[/B] :cool:
[B]DO WE HAVE A CONSENSUS ON THE PIONEER 115D?[/B]

Thank you for your great kindness! I am running out of ways to thank you!

cs.

Hehe, unfortunately I don’t know of any programs to easily rename music files (I do mine the hard way, one by one LOL) - you might like to create a new thread for that question (it’ll get more specific attention and help that way, rather than tucked into this one) :slight_smile:

And wow, I’d heard the Pioneer 115(D) was hard to fnd in the US now! So I learned something as well, it’s still available :wink:

Just do us a favour - don’t be a stranger to the forums :flower:

Be a stranger? I love it here! You are both great!

Do we have a consensus on the Pioneer 115D?

:flower:
cs.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/DVD-Burners/DVD+Drives/ci.DVR-115D.Shop/?source=base

Great, would be nice to see you around the forums :slight_smile: - and yep, if you can get the 115D for a good price, I say go for it - I have one myself and it’ll burn anything, from really cheap stuff, to the good stuff like Verbatim :wink:

Edit: try the Pioneer with your current IDE cable, and have it set to Master at the end of the cable (with your NEC connected to the middle connector as Slave) - if the Pioneer fails to work properly, you may need to purchase an 80 wire IDE cable - Pioneers can be fussy about this! :wink:

I am lol over this question: is it IDE??? I have it half-way ordered and I was just checking to make sure . . .:o