Firmware Naming

Is there any pattern to LiteOns naming of their firmwares?

Something that would indicate a major/minor revision?

The pattern that I have noticed, at least for the standard firmwares, is this…

Example: VS0B…

• V: drive family… (E = 401S, F = 411S, H = 811S, G = _51S, T = 1213S, U = 812S, V = 832S, B = 1633S)
  • S: corresponds to last letter of the drive name… J
K

0N is the firmware for the 24082

K

, V

S

0B is for the 832

S

, and K

H

0Q is for the 48161

H
  • 0B: revision number… starting with 01, going up to 09, then continuing to 0A through 0Z, and then looping back to 11 through 1Z, etc. Few firmwares make it into the “1” area. The 167T firmwares did (I have a veeeery old 9S03 firmware that someone dumped in my collection; the current one is 9S16)… there are a few exceptions to this; the 166S moved over to the “1” territory after the name-change from LTD- to XJ-HD, and the 451S, which is just a stripped version of the 851S, had “B” instead for that third character.

The pattern for OEM drives are rather varied. Generally, the second character is now in the 3rd position (like BW

S

E vs. B

S

0H), and generally, the 2nd character denotes the customer (W = Memorex, Y = Sony, 4 = Teac, P = HP, etc.)… but there are lots of exceptions…

So no, there is no way to determine if it’s a minor revision or a major revision. For example, going from BS01 to BS02 was quite a major revision. Tons of changed changed. From BS02 to BS03 was just a minor bugfix–both 02 and 03 were created within hours of each other, in fact.