Firmware upgrade may be a blessing or a curse.
Well, in my case it has proved to be a blessing.
My CD-ROM drive is an Acer 52x “652P-031” (UDMA/33 Capable).
When I purchased this drive the Firmware was 52AE.
It had the following problems:
- It wouldnot read CDs properly.
- Many times wouldnot even detect CDs.
- Error correction was the worst I had ever seen.
- LED lamp in the front behaved mysteriously. It would light up when
No data was read & when data was transferred, it would turn off. It
functioned the complete opposite way.
- Detecting CDs took ages.
The drive was in a complete mess. Only thing good about it is that the
speed was really cool.
Today I just found a firmware upgrade for my CD-ROM.
So I just flashed the drive & Voila a complete change in Avatar.
The new Firmware is 52GE
- It reads CDs perfectly fine.
- Detects CDs easily (like other normal CD-ROMs)
- Error is very good.
- LED Lamp functions the right way.
It now reads the CD with which it had problems earlier at Full Speed.
Even crossed 52x in Nero CD Speed.
This is cool.
I was thinking of selling it. Now I won’t.
Sorry for the essay.
Anyone with similar experiences with the Acer or other CD-ROMs.