Firmware kaos. ;)

Sorry for the newby question :slight_smile: :
well, i just installed a new Nec 2500A DVD Burner on my PC :iagree:.
i want to install a new firmware but my head is a mess.

1. is it possible to turn my 2500a into an 2510 (by a firmware update)?
    if yes then how?

2. there are many versions, can i upgrage streight into 2.06 (that made for the 2510A) or do i need first to install the 1.07 (thats made for the 2500) and then install the 2.06?

is there any order of firmware updaes 2500a to 2510a?
where is the best reliable place to Dload from?
?

Go to http://tdb.rpc1.org and download the NEC ND-2510A v2.06 firmware. Read the instructions contained in the ZIP file for flashing directions.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

I understood that there is a new official firmware coming soon (based on something that a German Nec support person wrote). Can’t find the post, but does anybody know anything more about this?

So if I understand you correctly, you are able to flash the 2510 firmware into the 2500 drive and it will show up in DVDInfo as an actual 2510 drive?

I just saw that they have patched firmware that will work on both 2100 and 2500 drives. I’ll give them a try and see what happens.

Well don’t know about that… I flashed my 2510, and now it shows up as a 2500, even in BIOS/during post…
But I guess that its only a matter of changing a few bit in the firmware to change the name…
But when "NEC 2100 = NEC 2500 = NEC 2510 = HP 420i = HP 520i = TDK 880 = TDK 882 " as written in the FAQ, it would be stupid with 7 almost alike firmwares, only changing the name in each one…

Any idea how it’s done though? Changing the name that shows up?

well. you have to do som work with a hex editor I think. It has been up in the forum before I belive. So try to play around the the search function, and perhaps you will find something…

Will do. I didn’t know anything like this was discussed before so I’ll do some digging and see what I can find out. That would be awesome if you could make that drive say whatever you wanted during POST or in DVDInfo!

Yea… It still bugs me, that my 2510A shows up as the cheaper model 2500 :slight_smile:

Your burner will only show up as an ND-2500A if you’re using an ND-2500A firmware OR Herrie’s patched firmware. Use the NEC ND-2510A release 2.06 firmware and your drive will appear as an ND-2510A.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

First i wanna thank u all for responding! :iagree:

[B]OK so whitch Firmware is better?

1. harrie’s patatched or is it the official 2.06?[/B]
  2. and again if i install thos firmware pathes, whould it change my driver’s name from 2500A into 2510a?
  3. Is it possible to install the official 2.06 and then update with harrie’s patch? does in work like that? or is the firmaware update totally overwites the old firmware?

I would say Herries, you can read about it in the FAQ and see what the differences are.
This firmware is based on the HP 520i 2.21 firmware.
It includes RPC1, riplock removal, 2100@2500, bitsetting, DL burning support, and speeded up media. (allows you to burn many 4X certified discs at 8X

1. and again if i install thos firmware pathes, whould it change my driver’s name from 2500A into 2510a?

No… Is I wrote earlier they would all be called 2500

1. Is it possible to install the official 2.06 and then update with harrie’s patch? does in work like that? or is the firmaware update totally overwites the old firmware?

No, only one firmware at the time…

YES! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I flashed the 2500 drive using the 2.06 2510 firmware and it now tells me that this is a 2510 drive! It says it in the BIOS and in DVDInfo. And it still has the dual layer support. Thanks a bunch man!