Firmware issues

vbimport

Hello,

I currently run a BENQ DVD LS DW1655 Optical drive and have been having what I believe to be a firmware issue and was wondering if anyone can confirm.

I recently purchased a video game, Call of Duty 4 and have been unable to run the game. Error: “Please insert the correct DVD-ROM, select OK and restart application.”

I have been in contact with Activision tech support and they agree that this may be a firmware issue. I have the most recent firmware available (at least to my knowledge), which is BCIB.

I can run other DVD video games, have no problem watching DVD’s, and can use the burning function any way I see fit. But with this specific game, the above error code is produced. According to the Activsion system requirements, SCSI drives are not supported for Call of Duty 4. The BENQ DW1655 is an IDE drive, yet when viewing the driver information in the Windows system information utility, the PNP device is as follows: “SCSI\CDROM…”

I have attempted to Re-flash the drive with no joy. Afterwards I flashed back to the two previous firmware sets, BCHB and BCDB, no joy. I then re-flashed back to the most recent firmware (IAW one of the forum posts on this website), BCIB all with no success. The same error code is produced.

Call of duty 4 has 2 modes, single player and multiplayer. The multiplayer mode works fine, it is only in single player mode that this error code is produced and will not run the game. This is probably the biggest reason why I believe this may be a firmware issue. My computer well exceeds the minimum required hardware and the same computer with the same drive will run other DVD games.

Any insight anyway can bring to this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Your burner is NO SCSI drive anyway.
Grab a cheap DVD-ROM and it should work.

Hi,[quote=ssbn743;2021512]The BENQ DW1655 is an IDE drive, yet when viewing the driver information in the Windows system information utility, the PNP device is as follows: “SCSI\CDROM…”[/quote]So your drive is connected to an IDE controller, that needs its own drivers. Windows detects these controllers as SCSI controller. Some software (mostly games) will fail to work with them due to copy protection mechanisms.

Some controllers can be configured as IDE compatible and Windows will install its generic drivers (Standard PCI IDE controller), which should work normally.

Could you please provide any information about the controller you are using for the Benq?

Michael

[quote=chef;2021636]Your burner is NO SCSI drive anyway.
Grab a cheap DVD-ROM and it should work.[/quote]He wrote this in his initial post. Additionally, I doubt, the game will work with a DVD-ROM that is connected to the very same controller.

Yeah, I have the drive connect to the board IDE controller on an ASUS P5WD2 board. Initially Activision tech support suggested what you did and told me to update my board drivers, which I did, short of flashing the BIOS. I have always been reserved about flashing the BIOS and I didn’t think that it would help anyway.

Anyway I sort of solved the problem although it kind of makes me mad. I went out a purchased and external DVD-ROM and all is good. For sure this was an issue with the BENQ drive, either the driver was causing problems or the drive is having issues with the dual layer game DVD. In any case I had to buy a new drive to run this game, which sucks, but oh well.

Thanks for the help,

Josh

[QUOTE=ssbn743;2023516]Yeah, I have the drive connect to the board IDE controller on an ASUS P5WD2 board. Initially Activision tech support suggested what you did and told me to update my board drivers, which I did, short of flashing the BIOS. I have always been reserved about flashing the BIOS and I didn’t think that it would help anyway.

Anyway I sort of solved the problem although it kind of makes me mad. I went out a purchased and external DVD-ROM and all is good. [B]For sure this was an issue with the BENQ drive, either the driver was causing problems or the drive is having issues with the dual layer game DVD.[/B] In any case I had to buy a new drive to run this game, which sucks, but oh well.

Thanks for the help,

Josh
[/QUOTE]

The issue here is initiated by the creepy copy-protection coming with the game/dvd.