Firmware Help Freecom DVD-RW Drive USB-2

[qanda]This thread is about the Freecom DVD RW Recorder USB-2. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi everyone,

I’ve found an updated firmware (I think) for my Freecom DVD USB burner (model code: ILHCAA), but it won’t let me install it because it says it cannot find the driver for this model on my laptop, even though the burner does not require a driver (according to the Freecom website). A bit of a catch-22 situation I think.

I’m just wanting to install this firmware because I’ve been having some problems lately with discs skipping/pixelating towards the end. I usually use Imation discs, which I’ve found quite reliable until recently. I’ve now switched to Taiyo Yuden through advice on this forum. From the two I’ve burnt so far one has been perfect and the other did the whole pixel thing again (although the original disc wasn’t in the best condition itself).

Is there anyway to go about installing this firmware? I’m not too clued-up on this kind of thing. I just heard that updating the firmware is a good way to help improve the quality of a burn.

Thanks for any help.

I’d just like to mention that I use DVDFAB (version 3.0.9.8). I used to use DVD Decrypter followed by DVD Shrink, although FAB seemed to cut the time down (Copying and shrinking at the same time).

I’ve just changed the burning to 8x using Taiyo Yuden -R 16x silver discs. Although I’ve just noticed that my drive says it burns -R’s at 20x,16x, and 6x.

Should I burn at 16x then?

Would it hinder the quality burning at this quicker speed?

First, your DVDFab is out of date.

Second, the only way to know for sure how the discs will turn out is to test. The skipping issue you describe are typical for low quality media or bad burns. Since you are using a good media, try to slower speed. If that doesn’t work, you’ll need to experiment and find a media that will work with the burner or simply upgrade to a newer model.

What burners are usually considered the best then? I’m sure each person has their own favourite, but what kind of models would I be looking out for?

I’m talking about external drives here.

Thanks for your response btw.

Any of the current Name brand units should work fine. It all boils down to brand preference and/or cost.