Firmware Hell Lite-on SHM-165P6S - HELP!

Hi guys

Got an OEM Lite-on SHM-165P6S drive a couple of weeks ago and seem to have broken it updating the firmware, hoping someone can help.

I have downloaded the stock firmware from the codeguys website. the raw .bin file from this is 2048 bytes long. If I back up my firmware using ltnFW the file it creates is 1024 bytes…what does this mean? Which is right?

I tried to use ltnFW to update the 2048byte firmware from codeguys web site but I get the message ‘File size exceeds limit !’ (I ticked update boot code when I did this, is that right?)

Is the codeguys firmware the real deal, should it be 2048 bytes? Could someone back me up a copy of their OEM Lite-on SHM-165P6S drive using ltnFW and e-mail it to me at lowp@blueyonder.co.uk ?

Should I just use MTKFLASH to force the 2048 bytes .bin file?

I am really deperate, been pulling my hair out for days on this.

Thanks

Pete

The fw for the 6S drives is 2048 kiB large. As far as I know, it doesn’t work with the Ltnfw flasher. If you really want to flash the BIN file, you have to use XSF after booting to true DOS (see this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=160914). You have to go this route too if you want to back up the firmware

But why are using the [B]BIN [/B]file? just use the builtin flasher in the EXE file, e.g. as included in the latest flashfixed official firmware: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/stock/165P6S.MS0P.stock.rar

G

Hi,

LtnFW does not support the new generation of Liteon drives. These have indeed a firmware, that is 2MB in size.

I tried to use ltnFW to update the 2048byte firmware from codeguys web site but I get the message ‘File size exceeds limit !’ (I ticked update boot code when I did this, is that right?)
This might have killed your drive, if LtnFW has already transferred data to the drive.

Is the codeguys firmware the real deal, should it be 2048 bytes?
Yes. It is. Or use Liteon’s official firmware from their website.
In order to try recovering your possibly dead drive (is it dead?) you may try XSF with the .bin from the codeguys. But read the instructions carefully.

Michael

tgbyhn10,

Some time ago C0deKing requested me to produce a guide on how to flash the firmware of the new series 5 and 6 of Liteon’s burners, using the XSF utility.

You can find such guide here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1370819&postcount=29.

I hope it can help you.

GB

Thanks for all the help

Writer is on Primary master

I tried XSF as follows:

XSF 3 W MS0P.BIN

says: No PXi 9050 Serial chip, then loads up, press enter to write and get ‘cannot enter flash mode 27 checksum 0x0’

Help

tgbyhn10, are you trying this at real DOS (not a DOS window). You will need to create a bootable disc for this, as explained in Gordon Banks’ thorough guide. :wink:

FYI, some SATA motherboards do not work with XSF.

If your writer is the [B]Primary master[/B], you should use

XSF [B]1[/B] W MS0P.BIN

Be sure to boot to true DOS for this. But try using the regular flasher first (the EXE file from the codeguys’ site)- use XSF only if you really need to!

G

On a similar note, I just got a 165H6S and am having difficulty figuring out all this firmware stuff too. After about an hour of scouring the forums, I found that the latest test version is HV9N which I can’t download. Additionally, Omnipatcher can’t open the stock firmware from http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/stock/165H6S.HS0D.stock.rar

This is really a mess compared to the NEC firmware’s on the NEC forums!

Hi,

It’s quite simple. There is choice between experimental firmware and official stock firmware.

Omnipatcher can’t open the stock firmware
There is a huge thread about Omnipatcher, that also gives information about its compatibility with firmwares of recent drives.

This is really a mess compared to the NEC firmware’s on the NEC forums!
Can’t agree. :disagree: Using stock firmware, Kprobe and Smartburn there are more possibilities than with hacked NEC firmware :stuck_out_tongue:

Michael

Sorry, I meant Secondary master, very tierd, been trying to sort this out for a long time.

I moved the drive to secondary slave and changed the jumper to slave instead of cable select and it flashed OK with XSF. I rebooted but it was still not working properly so I downloaded the stock MSOP flasher from Liteon and flashed the drive with that but it’s still not working.

To be honest, I’m a bit annoyed with the FAQ in this forum, so much has happened, I’m not sure where I am now but I know I have used ltnfw to backup and flash this drive when it is not compatible. Now I seem to have a dead drive. An out of date FAQ is worse than no FAQ at all.

The drive seems to be reading DVD-ROM discs OK but struggles a bit. It reads some DVD-Video but does not seem able to read others.

During the course of this nightmare, out of desperation, I think I have done the following:

Used eeprom utility 3.3.3 to back up and restore my eeprom, I just tried the restore but it has not fixed the probelm.

Used eeprom utility 3.3.3 to reset learned media, may have reset hypertuning too.

I have done a checksum repair which states everything is OK.

What should I do now?

If someone e-mailed me a backup up their eeprom for the same drive would it work on mine?

Is the drive dead? Can I RMA it? Any suggestion appreciated, I’m desperate here.

Thanks

Pete

No. This wil render your drive definitely useless.

Is the drive dead?
Possibly. Can you try it in another computer?

Can I RMA it?
As you used inofficial software to modify your drive, you agreed to do that on your own risk and voided your warranty. So, no RMA.

Michael

Is there nothing else I can try? Anything?

Where exactly does the problem exist in the writer? Which part of the firmware, anyone know?

If I RMA’d it, do they check if firmwares have been altered?

Pete

I’m not sure, it depends on the retailer. It is their right to do this though. So if they don’t accept it, do the right thing and get a new drive. :rolleyes:

Someone really needs to update the FAQ on liteon drives or there will be a lot more dead drives around b4 long. It if had been up to date I would not have a dead drive, I’m quite anoyed about that as I’m so skint I can’t afford to replace it.

Would someone alert the appropriate people to update the FAQ ASAP?

Once again, is there nothing that can be done? It still seems to work to some extent (burning / verifying CD’s, reading some DVD-Video discs and reading DVD-ROMS, may even burn some DVDs not tested it fully yet) does that really sound like a dead drive?

Are eeprom contents really specific to each drive? If so, anyone know what info is specific?

Would someone please send me their original firmware in .bin format, backed up from their drive?

Thanks

Pete

Hi,

Hmm, if a drive is killed by a bad flash, it will do nothing any more. Maybe something else is messed up - such occurs, if the EEPROM data is deleted or overwritten.
Or its simply a messed up Windows installation or bad media.

I don’t know if it helps, but you may try a brainwash using Sony DW-G120A firmware. There is a flashfixed MYS3 or MYR3 firmware (both will work, the difference is marketing by Sony) in the firmware announcement thread. After that, you can return back to Liteon stock firmware, again using the flashfixed version of your drive for the first crossflash. Then you can use Liteon’s official releases from their website.

Are eeprom contents really specific to each drive? If so, anyone know what info is specific?
Yes, the EEPROM data are unique for any drive, as that keeps its individual calibration data. See also the documentation of EEPROM tool and the thread about this.

Michael

Hi Michael

I have done a backup and restore of the eeprom but the only thing I would have been able to restore of would be the backup I already created, assuming version 3.3.3 of the eeprom_utility works, this should be fine; I am amazed that I am in this position. I only did the restore because it became apparent there were problems but it didn’t help. I am pretty sure the damage was done by ltnfw tho.

I may try flashing again with xsf and the crossflash as I have nothing to lose.

If anyone has any more ideas, please let me know

Thanks

Pete

I had an unfortunate incident with my 160P6S a while back ago when I unknowingly wrote over the EEPROM data with XSF through the -full feature, without actually having to incorporate the EEPROM data within the firmware. IIRC, with XSF, there is a block of address range that doesn’t get updated with the normal options, thus, that’s probably the EEPROM area. However, with the -full option, it overwrites everything.

Even with trying to use the EEPROM Utility to restore the data, it still had not worked. Since the drive was recognized during POST, it was alive. The only way to recover the drive was to have a 2-KB file built with the particular EEPROM data. Since I don’t know how to do that, C0deKing was kind enough to rebuild it into an executable that I was able to burn onto a CD-RW and flash the drive via real DOS.

LtnFW limits the file size to be only 1-KB large and is only good for the previous generation Flash chip (parallel-type). XSF supports the current generation because it’s a larger serial-type chip.

I think I’ve seen the thread, and like you said, it’s a huge thread. Considering that there are only so many drives, it would be a lot easier of compatibility issues were made available in the first post or in Omnipatcher’s readme. Considering that the latest build of Omnipatcher was made on 7/28/06, who would have thought that it wasn’t compatible with newer Lite-On drives?

That is probably true, but the information is everywhere and the FAQ is completely out of date. At least with the NEC forums, it was easy to find any relevant firmware simply by searching for the drive’s model identifier. For example, a thread for each model where one could find official firmwares, experimental firmwares, working utilities, etc. would definitely be a lot more useful.

Hi,

why not opening a separate thread about that? And anybody’s help in improving the FAQ is appreciated. :bigsmile: I think, you volunteered just now :bigsmile:

Michael

Haha, if only I knew more :stuck_out_tongue: I could probably go through and try to sort out firmwares for each drive. But that would have to wait til next week at the earliest.