Firmware for drives Sony Nec Optiarc, model AD-7200S

vbimport

Hello my friends, :slight_smile:

i’ve some drives Sony Nec Optiarc, model AD-7200S.

Untill now i never used these drives. i’ll instal one in my computer for the first time. Looking for the last firmware for these drives on Sony Nec Optiarc page i’ve found this warning:

[I]Important:

It is very important that you don’t try to flash a S-ATA device with a P-ATA firmware and vice versa.You could damage your drive in doing so. To be on the safe side, please read the Update Procedure under menu item ‘Firmware updates’ before you flash the drive. Our firmware installer is only available as a WindowsInstaller.

OUR FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THOSE PROVIDED BY THE OEM VENDORS (e.g. HP, DELL, FUJITSU-SIEMENS ETC.).

THESE VERSIONS MAY DAMAGE YOUR DRIVE.
[/I]

i think my drives are OEM version, but i don’t know what was the manufactor.

My question is: Can i use the firmware 1.09 of official Sony Nec Optiarc page, or get it from another source?

Thank you very much for any help :bow:

I think you can run Binflash to determine current firmware & the bootcode of the drives. I think, from what I remember, that as long as the bootcode supports your desired firmware (or, rather, as long as the desired firmware supports your drive’s hardware), there shouldn’t be any issues. And the current firmware version may provide a clue as to where the drives were originally installed.

Binflash: http://club.myce.com/f86/binflash-nec-optiarc-firmware-flasher-dumper-105676/

You may want to back up your current firmware before doing any flashing. Binflash does allow you to try to flash any firmware (such as 1.09) as long as you have the necessary file, and you don’t have to use the download from the official Optiarc site unless you just want to; you can use the downloads on the Liggy & Dee site: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7200A/. Attempting to flash an incompatible firmware typically results in a warning and a cancellation of the process before anything becomes broken.

Thank you very much for your help Albert!
All the best for you!