Firmware flashing does DMA have to be off

vbimport

Is it necessary to have DMA off when you flash in either a win or DOS environment..

I prefer to flash in DOS...so does DMA have to be off....I have flashed others drives with DMA on i nthe past until plex started saying to turn DMA off to flash ther edrives...

And why is this the case..esp in DOS???

Thanks

Originally posted by nealh
[B]Is it necessary to have DMA off when you flash in either a win or DOS environment…

I prefer to flash in DOS…so does DMA have to be off…I have flashed others drives with DMA on i nthe past until plex started saying to turn DMA off to flash ther edrives…

And why is this the case…esp in DOS???

Thanks [/B]

i just flashed my 40125W to a 40125S without turning dma off !
and i have flashed my liteon 12x in windows aswell without turning dma off !!

conclusion…

dma duz not need to be off i never have it off
but if your unshure about a firmeware your flashing then turn it off in windows !! ONLY IF YOUR FLASHING IN WINDOWS if your flashing in dos true mode then you dont need to turn dma off

its not exactly useing dma in dos becuse all drivers arent loaded !!

hope this helped :)))))))))))))))))))))):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DOS: Don’t care about if DMA is on or off in windows.

Windows: if you use the IDE drivers shipped with the OS you may leave DMA on while flashing. But in some cases if you have installed other IDE drivers and have DMA on the flash program may give an error message or hang/crash. (Examples on other IDE drivers: ViA, Intel, SiS, ALi Nvidia AMD…)

I flashed my CRW3200 Yamaha drive with DMA on and now I can’t burn faster than 16x (it’s a 24x drive) even on the same 24x certified spindle that burned 24x fine before. I get a tracking error. This is the only thing I can trace back to. It’s still not fixed :frowning:

i believe yamaha advises to turn to the DMA off and connect it to the master ide port

it is in the guide…if i remember correctly

With the lite-on i had no problems at all…even with via drivers installed and the drive not even connected to a master ide port

thanks guys I appreciate all the great info

I have the 3.14 VIA miniport drivers so I guess some of my WinXP attempts to update my 24102B are due to this leaving DMA on…I will need to try with DMA off

hmm…i think your miniport drivers could be a problem…

un-install them and just the via 4in1 drivers

then try to flash

I would not be surprised in the miniport drivers are the issue…but I prefer a DOS flash…so with the available .bin files here I doubt this will be a future problem…

I hate to try and uninstall them …likely to screw up my system

When the system is booted into DOS, Windows settings have no bearing anyway. However, the BIOS settings would still be showing the drive parameters as U/DMA mode 2 or whatever is relevant to the drive in question.

I have flashed drives with BIOS settings unchanged as well as with DMA off in the BIOS too. Haven’t faced any problems - so far :slight_smile:

BTW, I usually flash in DOS mode.