Firmware Flash

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey All

I just became an owner of an Optiarc AD-7200A. It came with 1.06 firmware. Wasn’t too thrilled with the burning results so I flashed it to 1.09bt RPC1. Still no joy so I tried, as someone suggested here to go back to maybe 1.06. I cannot seem to be able to flash anything now other than the 1.09 versions. Even tried the 1.Z versions and no joy. The error I get says firmware file expects a different boot code. Found 0x3134 expected 0x3132 then says wrong drive, flash cannot continue. I wanted to try some different versions to see what would work best on my machine. Any thoughts or answers from the masses?

If you’re using the latest Binflash version (at least 1.46) this indicates that the file you’re trying to flash does not have a firmware that is compatible with your drive’s bootcode. In this case it means that your drive seems to be one of the few drives that contains the 0.14 bootcode.

Might be interesting to get this bootcode and check for differences.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2223442]If you’re using the latest Binflash version (at least 1.46) this indicates that the file you’re trying to flash does not have a firmware that is compatible with your drive’s bootcode. In this case it means that your drive seems to be one of the few drives that contains the 0.14 bootcode.

Might be interesting to get this bootcode and check for differences.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply,Liggy. I am not quite sure if you are asking me to get the bootcode. If you are, how do I go about doing that. As mentioned previously the drive did come with 1.06 installed. Can you elaborate why the drive couldn’t be reflashed to that? Oh and by the way I am using Binflash 1.46. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=cevet;2223593]Thanks for the quick reply,Liggy. I am not quite sure if you are asking me to get the bootcode. If you are, how do I go about doing that. As mentioned previously the drive did come with 1.06 installed. Can you elaborate why the drive couldn’t be reflashed to that? Oh and by the way I am using Binflash 1.46. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Instructions for extracting the bootcode sent via PM.

Did you dump the 1.06 firmware before flashing? If you did, you should be able to flash this firmware back again. (I would be interested in that firmware too)
The 1.06 firmwares that I currently have can only be used on drives with the 0.12 bootcode.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2224317]Instructions for extracting the bootcode sent via PM.

Did you dump the 1.06 firmware before flashing? If you did, you should be able to flash this firmware back again. (I would be interested in that firmware too)
The 1.06 firmwares that I currently have can only be used on drives with the 0.12 bootcode.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I did not dump the original firmware, sorry. I have sent you the bootdump as requested.

Received your file and it is indeed the 0.14 bootcode. Unfortunately I do not have a 1.06 firmware for this bootcode, so I cannot help you with flashing back to this version. :frowning:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2224745]Received your file and it is indeed the 0.14 bootcode. Unfortunately I do not have a 1.06 firmware for this bootcode, so I cannot help you with flashing back to this version. :([/QUOTE]

I sort of thought that might be the case. Am I correct in saying that 1.09 is the only firmware I can use or is any of the other versions (including Dee’s) that I could experiment with?

[QUOTE=cevet;2224907]I sort of thought that might be the case. Am I correct in saying that 1.09 is the only firmware I can use or is any of the other versions (including Dee’s) that I could experiment with?[/QUOTE]
At least it’s the only firmware that we have for the AD-7200A. For the next time you should always keep in mind to dump your current firmware before flashing a new version.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2225082]At least it’s the only firmware that we have for the AD-7200A. For the next time you should always keep in mind to dump your current firmware before flashing a new version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Liggy for you insight and advice. Much appreciated.