Firmware flash question

vbimport

I have just purchased a sony crx 185 which I am sure is actually a liteon? I have followed the instructions on how to save the firmware to floppy using mtkflash but after typing in the command
mtkflash "3" R/B/M.file name.bin I just get a mtkflash menu each time no % count as states in oc freaks instructions????
any body offer any suggestions on why I cannot save the sonys original firmware .
Also does this mean I can change this drive to a liteon 32x then flash up to a 40/42x liteon ???????? thanks.

might be wrong but at prompt, command line should be so :

MTKFLASH 3 R /B /M name.bin

at a: prompt typing MTKFLASH 3 R/B/M XYS2.bin
no go just displays a mtkflash menu no % count?

MTKFLASH 3 R space /B space /M XYS2.bin

try so : MTKFLASH 3 R /B /M XYS2.bin and not
MTKFLASH 3 R/B/M XYS2.bin

success !!! well sort of . managed to start read % running was a question of having spaces in correct place. thanks!!
HOWEVER after 4th % run read stops then states at 18%
ERR. fail to write output file ???
any body got any ideas?
if I browse my floppy in a:
there is a bin file there though???
as and when iI DO EVENTUALLY BACK UP MY SONY CRX185 FIRMWARE WHAT CAN I FLASH UP TO ? AND HOW DO I GET THE
NEW FIRMWARE TO THE FLOPPY DISC ? DO I JUST COPY THE NEW CORRECT BIN. TO THE FLOPPY TO FLASH IT USING MTKFLASH?
WHICH BIN. FILE IS THE CORRECT ONE FOR THIS SONY CD ROM ?
I AM SURE ITS A LITEY ITS A SONY CRX185E1 WITH CURRENT
FIRMWARE XYS2. ALSO DO I HAVE TO CHANGE THIS FIRMWARE TO THE EQUIVALENT LITEON BEFORE I UPGRADE IT THEN TO A HIGHER LITEON MODEL?
WELL THATS IF I CAN GET AROUND MY BACKING UP FIRMWARE PROBLEM 1ST???
THANKS IN ADVANCE LOGICWATCH

The CRX185 is not a Lite-ON drive.

edit
yes it is, see below

you sure it certainly looks like one rear and front & it copies safedisc 2 A1??? even the labels on the top look the same where did you find out that it wasnt ? spec on clones site
states all same features etc as a litey ie . correct efm writing raw 96 etc etc.

Someone thought the drive was a BTC, that may be the case, but I am 100% sure that the CRX185 and the LTR-32123S are the same drives. To see the similarities between the Sony CRX185 and the LTR-32123S, look at these two excellent reviews: CRX185 & LTR-32123S
The BTC drive looks different:

1: XYS2 seems to be a Lite-On LTR-32123S drive…

2: Write error is normally caused by not enough space on the floppy (if you use a floppy) you need at least 512k free on the floppy to read out the firmware…

As OC-Freak said, the floppy may not have enough room for the firmware. Try typing:

MTKFLASH 3 R /B /M c:/XYS2.bin

The firmware will be located on your c drive at c:/XYS2.bin

I must be a little slow… OC has a Sony CRX185 binary in his collection already. There’s really no need for you to back it up unless you have a different version than xys2 (but you don’t).

Edit by OC-Freak

Oppps, sorry yes it’s a modified version (not modified by me) but I’ll remove it as modified = illegal, also had to remove link :wink: