Firmware flash, Master by itself on secondary. Really necessary?

A friend asked for my opinion if he should take these instructions seriously:

From the A102 readme:

GSA-4163B Version A102 Firmware Update…
Note: Not following the subsequent update instructions explicitly will result in
permanent damage to your drive, for which LG will not be responsible.
Critical Instructions: (to be followed carefully)

Connect the drive as master by it self, on the secondary IDE controller
with no other device on the same IDE cable

As I don’t own any LG drive I post here for your expert opinion. He has the drive @ secondary master but has a slave connected (a Liteon cdrw). Should he indeed disconnect the slave before flashing his 4163? It’s quite an old fashion sort of demand for a modern drive IMHO, but what do you think?

TIA :cool:

I have flashed my lg 4120b as master with two different devices (an lg cd burner and a dvd rom at differnet times of course) with no problems whatsoever. (A102>A104>A110>A111>A112>A115). That’s a total of 5 flashes.

Thank you, peter ifsnoff :cool:
Can anyone with a 4163b report as well?

Cheers!

Works on USB2

Works for me, got a Lite On 1613S on the same channel.

I just disconnect the power plug to my second drive on the secondary IDE channel and reboot. The second drive does not show up when you look at the connections with the System file (Icon in Control Panel).

I believe that it is then ok to flash without any problems. I haven’t had any so
far doing it this way.

You then reconnect the power plug and reboot again to bring your second drive back online.

Thanks guys :cool:

Mango,

how did your friend do on his FW update?

NEC states that you should disable the other drives in the control panel. This adds an additional measure of security without having to open up the computer.

My Philips 1640 is Master to my LG4163.

I have not disabled the Philips when I have flashed the firmware.

Well, NEC does, unlike LG, not have easy bad-flash-recovery capability :stuck_out_tongue:

alexnoe,

well then, wouldn’t that be a bonus for LG and make it more desirable to own than the NEC? :smiley:

where can I find an app that will flash my GSA-4120B? I’m a complete newbie and I think I killed my drive trying to update the firmware - is the a tute that will help me try and revive it?

Thanks in advance

alexnoe

Do you mean that you flashed the unit successfully with it as an external drive, connected via USB2?

I was going to flash my 4167 this way, but haven’t plucked up the courage yet!

I flashed my 4163b to A106 this am without an issue. Did not disable my NEC beforehand. No problems.

Great site by the way!

Yes a lot of people flash their motherboards from windows, if I am going to flash a burner, and feel safer, I do it from safe mode. Flashers are much better today
at pointing out the right drive and refusing to flash the wrong one.
Still a lot of noobs/near noobs killing drives?

I don’t exactly know what you mean by that, alexnoe.

Could you do me a favour and give me a hint, please?

I’m not 100% certain of this because I’ve never had a bad flash with my LG writers, but I understand that LG writers go into some kind of “recovery mode” in cases of a bad flash. This is where the writer is detected by windows, but won’t read or write to discs.

You can usually reflash the drive from this point and it should work again. But take the following precautions since the first flash was bad :

• get a fresh copy of the latest firmware in case the copy you used before was somehow damaged. You can get that from here :
    http://au.lgservice.com
    click on Device Driver->DVD-ROM(Writer)->2 (to go to page 2)

• either boot into safe mode or shut down every other application running (no virus scanners, no anti-spyware tools, no DVD protection removal utilities, nothing)

You may also want to connect the drive as secondary master with no other device connected to the same cable. This isn’t normally necessary (although LG’s flashing instructions say you should), but since you’ve had a bad flash and you don’t know the cause, it would be best to play it safe, just in case another drive on the same cable caused the problem. It’s up to you if you want to do this.

Then, reflash the drive with the fresh copy of firmware. If all goes well, your drive should be working again.

and don’t do what I did twice and flash a drive with a disk in!

Pioneer solved this problem; they kick the drive open before it flashes. The first one I ever flashed almost knocked me out of my chair as I wasn’t expecting anything to happen.