Firmware dump and flash utility for Pioneer?

We have a CD/DVD duplicator that uses Pioneer SATA drives (DVR-212D) with custom firmware. The company that makes the duplicator charges a very high price for replacement drives. Is there a utility available that can dump the firmware from one of the drives, and load the firmware into a stock drive of the same model? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

no

do you have any details for the “custom firmware”?

The answer is still no.

[QUOTE=chef;2213015]The answer is still no.[/QUOTE]

the supplier could be applying MCSE patches and calling it “custom firmware”.

in this case dcherry would not have to purchase “a very high price for replacement drives”

According to their tech support, the tray does not extend out far enough to allow the robotic arm to descent vertically straight down to the tray. They say that the customization makes the tray extend out a little more. I’ve tried installing a stock drive and the tray DOES extend far enough. It’s close, but enough. The problem is that the dupe software that comes with the machine does not recognize the stock drive.

Can you run dvrflash with it using -v (verbose) option and post the output here?

What is the name of the company that makes the duplicator?

DVRFlash v2.5.1
Commandline:
dvrflash -v e:

Drive Information:
Description : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-212D
Firmware Rev : 9.21
Firmware Date : 07/06/07
Manufacturer : PIONEER
Drive is in normal mode.

Additional Drive Information:
Serial Number : GIDP054401WL
Interface type : SAT
DVR generation : 0813
Kernel type : OEM_EXT
Normal type : OEM_EXT
Kernel version : 0001

Region : none
   Changes : 5 region changes remaining
             4 vendor resets remaining
             state is 'Region not set'

[QUOTE=negritude;2213792]What is the name of the company that makes the duplicator?[/QUOTE]

Never mind. I think I just guessed that your duplicator company is Primera, based on the firmware revision.

Have you emailed them about getting a firmware update for your existing drives? Once you have that in your posession, there’s nothing preventing you from loading it onto other drives.

http://www.primera.com/contact_tech_support.cfm

Remember, don’t be stupid and tell them why you really want the firmware. Just ask them if they have any firmware updates for their DVR-212D duplicator drives.

Note also that they do have firmware on their web site for the DVR-215D and DVR-216D. You could consider replacing your existing 212D drives with 215D or 216D drives, and they may work in the duplicator once you load them with their firmware. The only problem is that you would probably need to replace all of them at once, since you can’t mix drive models in a duplicator.

http://www.primera.com/downloads/support/DriveFirmware/DriveFirmware.html

I’m worried that they might refuse to sell the drives to us if I name them. I would be in a lot of trouble at work! I will say that the company is not Primera. Thanks for trying to help. I do appreciate it.

Being an mechanically inclined individual I have disassembled numerous CD and/or DVD Drives and understand the physical mechanical operation and to a limited extent the electrical/electronic operation of numerous manufacturers CD/DVD Drives and fail to see how any CD/DVD Burner Firmware can override the drawer tray slide physical mechanical mechanism stop to make the drawer tray slide mechanical mechanism extend out any further. The only way a CD and/or DVD Drive a drawer tray can be made to extend any further is to adjust the drawer tray slide physical mechanical mechanism stop to allow further travel.

I don’t believe that their special ‘Modified’ firmware does anything to actually push the drawer tray out any further than any Official Pioneer Firmware does. I believe in order to obtain further drawer tray extension that they actually disassemble the Drive and slightly adjust the drawer tray slide mechanical mechanism limit switch to allow further travel of the drawer tray to obtain slightly more drawer tray extension.

Call me hard headed but personally I don’t believe what some “Tech Support” phone answerer states – In short in my book no special ‘Modified’ Firmware is somehow magically going to circumvent and override a physical mechanical mechanism stop.

Perhaps one of the Forum “Firmware Modifiers” can thoroughly dissect one of the below Perimera Technology modified “Pioneer” Firmwares and compare them to Official Pioneer Firmwares and actually see if there is some magic Firmware coding that allows additional Drive drawer tray slide extension.

http://www.primera.com/downloads/support/DriveFirmware/DriveFirmware.html

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks dcherry!

Please ask a mod to remove the serial no. from the post (its not necessary that anyone knows it).

I’m with bjkg’s thoughts.

Hopefully Primera can supply you an updated firmware.

[QUOTE=bjkg;2213878]I don’t believe that their special ‘Modified’ firmware does anything to actually push the drawer tray out any further than any Official Pioneer Firmware does. I believe in order to obtain further drawer tray extension that they actually disassemble the Drive and slightly adjust the drawer tray slide mechanical mechanism limit switch to allow further travel of the drawer tray to obtain slightly more drawer tray extension.
[/QUOTE]
For a while I shared your believe, but in the mean time I know that it is possible to eject the tray further out by a firmware change :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ala42;2214507]For a while I shared your believe, but in the mean time I know that it is possible to eject the tray further out by a firmware change :)[/QUOTE]

indeed it is, i was surprised by this also, but as Ala posts. it can

[QUOTE=ala42;2214507]For a while I shared your believe, but in the mean time I know that it is possible to eject the tray further out by a firmware change :)[/QUOTE]
Could you please share this knowledge? I’m looking for a firmware solution that would open the tray to the max, allowing robotic access to the disc easier (for this: www.dextimus.com). Thank you! :iagree: