Firmware/Driver updates for TSST TS-L632H CD/DVD writer

[SIZE=2]I have replaced the original TSST TS-L632D drive with a new TSST TS-L632H drive in my Toshiba P200 laptop, now running Windows 7.

I continue to get write errors (power calibration area error 380381-26-00037304 - please check if the disc has any scratches, dust or grime) and the DVD-RAM utility reports that the discs are not recognised. I have tried both DVD+R and DVD-R drives from two different manufacturers (Sony & Verbatim), both of which worked fine previously.

Windows reports that drivers are up to date and I suspect the problem is firmware since the new drive has CH01 firmware. I cannot, though, upgrade to TO02 or TO03 firmware as downloaded from the Toshiba website as the upgrade package reports that the existing firmware is incompatible.

I it possible and safe to try to upgrade the firmware using SFDNWIN.exe (and the TO03 BIN file) with the NOCHECK option?

What else might be causing the problem, and how can resolve it?

Resolution urgently required. Any help gratefully received.
[/SIZE]

Hi,[QUOTE=balwan;2539303][SIZE=2]I have replaced the original TSST TS-L632D drive with a new TSST TS-L632H drive in my Toshiba P200 laptop, now running Windows 7.

I continue to get write errors (power calibration area error 380381-26-00037304 - please check if the disc has any scratches, dust or grime) and the DVD-RAM utility reports that the discs are not recognised. I have tried both DVD+R and DVD-R drives from two different manufacturers (Sony & Verbatim), both of which worked fine previously. [/quote]Can you exclude a bad drive? Even with the firmware this drive has now, it should work fine with Verbatim and Sony blanks. That said, I’d rather return the drive as defective than playing with firmware with questionable success.

Windows reports that drivers are up to date and I suspect the problem is firmware since the new drive has CH01 firmware.
I doubt, it is a firmware problem. Even the most crippled OEM firmware should be able to handle Verbatim and Sony discs.

You might try if cleaning the lens does help (no cleaning disc, try a soft brush at first).

I it possible and safe to try to upgrade the firmware using SFDNWIN.exe (and the TO03 BIN file) with the NOCHECK option?

It is possible, but I do not know if it is safe. Reason: These drives came in two flavours: “Master” and “Slave” configuration, which is determined by the firmware.
At first, you need to find out if your own drive is configured as master or as slave (the latter is not widespread, but such exists). Next problem would be to find out if that Toshiba OEM firmware is for Master or Slave type drives. I have no idea, that’s why I vote for “not safe”.
For Master type drives, I’d rather suggest to use Samsungs SCxx firmwares for this drive. For downloads, see my signature please.

What else might be causing the problem, and how can resolve it?

A dirty lens or a faulty drive. Each of these is more likely than a firmware related issue.

Michael
P.S.: Thread moved to Samsung DVD writers section.

+1 faulty drive, not sure a new firmware will improve… About flashing with an other firmware, be careful with Toshiba laptop as mentionned before, they used to be very selective about master/slave configuration (sorry for the english, difficult for me to explain what i want to say !)…

Edit : if you could get a remplacement, choose Optiarc AD-7590A or 5590A if possible :wink:

The drive has already been replaced once by the supplier as I had similar problems with the first TS-L632H they sent me.

Since both were new drives, it seems unlikely that the problem is a faulty drive or dirty lens.

I am cautious about installing a different model due to the issue of master/slave that I have seen reported elsewhere.

A new drive HAS to work with medias such as Sony & Verbatim !
So maybe it is a bad buch of drives (?), maybe the problem is elswhere… have you tried something like that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 ?

That’s what I thought - it should work. Hence my suspicion of the firmware.

I had a quick look at the Optiarc, but it does not seem to be Windows 7 compatible.

I’ve searched MS and elsewhere for solutions, but no joy as yet. Lots of hints such as Upper and Lower filters, but nothing relevant.

Of course the optiarcs are W 7 compatible !

[QUOTE=balwan;2539520]The drive has already been replaced once by the supplier as I had similar problems with the first TS-L632H they sent me.

Since both were new drives, it seems unlikely that the problem is a faulty drive or dirty lens.[/quote]Perhaps they have a whole container of faulty drives :wink:

I am cautious about installing a different model due to the issue of master/slave that I have seen reported elsewhere.
Have you already checked the configuration of your drive?

Some additional hint about the firmware of that drive: CH01 seems to be genuine TSST firmware - but for the Chinese market. Perhaps they only support fake stuff :bigsmile:
I don’t have much hope, but the SC firmware could be an option.

Michael