Firmware alternatives required for seagate hard drive

vbimport

Dear Sir/Madame,

I bought Seagate Hard disk drive 8 months back approx. It is 500 GB, the model is ST3500418AS.

Now, I find the firmware behind the HDD is not working. The model no. of the firmware is CC38, the date code is 10292.

I want to change firmware so that I can get back my HDD in use. I have a stored a lot approx. 400 GB. I cannot give the HDD to a service center as it has a risk of Important Data getting copied by a third person.

Though the product is in warranty, seagate people are not willing to give me the firmware alone as replacement, they are asking for the whole HDD.

I normally don’t like to do chip replacement in the same board as far as possible as it may give lot of interface problems as the soldering is done manually.

KINDLY SUGGEST ME THE BEST ALTERNATE MODEL NO. FOR THE FIRMWARE CC38, WHICH IS AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET, EVEN IF IT IS NOT SEPARATELY AVAILABLE, LET ME BUY THE HDD IN WHOLE AND LET ME REPLACE THE FIRMWARE WITH MY OLD HDD.

KINDLY HELP ME OUT.

ALSO PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO SEND PERSONAL MESSAGES.

With Regards,
A.Senthilkumar.

Forget it.

I assume, you can’t access the HDD at all.
The firmware of a HDD is not stored in a chip on the PCB, but on the HDD itself. At least partially.

So, if the defective HDD contains confidential and important data, then destroy it physically and restore the data to a new HDD from your backups.

You may also ask data recovery companies like Kroll-Ontrack for assistance.

Michael

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=213891
There is an update, but whether the drive is in any condition to accept it is another issue - if it’s a “kill or cure” shot, may as well try to apply it.

If by the firmware not working you mean that the printed circuit controller board is faulty then there is a possible cure.
Buy or borrow another drive identical to the faulty one in every respect.
Swap out the two controller boards and if there are no problems with the heads or platter motor you should be able to retrieve your data.
I must stress however the drives must be identical for this to work and you still may not retrieve the data if the motor or heads are faulty.
Use best practice for handling and static electricity.
If you recover the drive save all you data to backups or a new drive, do not rely on the old one. Wipe the old drive replace the circuit boards and return under warranty.
Best of luck.

[QUOTE=weedougie;2577603]Wipe the old drive replace the circuit boards and return under warranty.[/QUOTE]Warranty is void after having swapped the PCB.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2577579][B]Forget it.
[/B]
[/QUOTE]

The simple truth in this case.