Firmware 2.01 for LG GCE-8160B

vbimport

Is the lastest firmware(2.01) for this drive still able copy safe disk 2.51? Does anyone know the changes this firmware makes to the drives performance or is there even a difference? LG's website gives no information about this at all. Thanks

If it’s copying 2.51.021, as it should, why bother?

Because maybe it will improve other functions and because hey they probably didn’t update the firmware for nothing. But you got a point so unless I get some more information about it I wont flash it.

I didn’t mean to come across as flippant. The media catalogue is often updated, so if there were probs with media, yeah - good idea. I have the LG GCC-4120B combo…best darn SD error skipper I’ve come across! It makes my GCE 16x pale away LOL

You should hang onto this writer until you upgrade to another known SD2 killer. Couple your GCE with a Toshi or LITEON DVD-ROM and you’re still :smiley:

The new firmware still do not fix the bug with nero, when you make a test of overburn on a cd-blank.

Gotcha. Have you posted in the Nero Forum about this? If not I’ll copy the thread over for you…

There is not a post about that LG in the section of nero.

Originally posted by FutureProof
I have the LG GCC-4120B combo…best darn SD error skipper I’ve come across!
Off topic but can it beat my Mitsumi?

:smiley:

I have a GCE-8160 too, and I flashed the unit with the 2.01 and it (still) can write SD 2 images. I tried with Max Payne and it worked without CloneCD AWS. (If you activate it the image won’t be writed correctly). I don’t know with what revision of SafeDisc Max Payne is protected, but I burned it sucessfully :slight_smile:

Btw, I talked about a month with the Nero team about the support for this unit and now it’s working perfectly since version 5578. All the functions. I never had problems with Overburn, at least with 80min CD’s (never tried a larger disc…)

Hope this could help.

Originally posted by DArch
I have a GCE-8160 too…I tried with Max Payne and it worked without CloneCD AWS. (If you activate it the image won’t be writed correctly). I don’t know with what revision of SafeDisc Max Payne is protected, but I burned it sucessfully :slight_smile:
The GCE-8160 is a SD2 killer - it will backup 2.51.021 (MOHAA et al) with no additional measures :slight_smile:

I wrote to LG Canada back when 2.01 came out.
I was advised that it was for XP users only, and not to bother with it if I didn’t plan on using XP.

I’ve heard from several other people that are still using 1.01 firmware with XP and have NO problems.

I’m still with 1.01 and have no plans to upgrade it.
I’m enjoying the ability to write a full 99 minute cd upon occasion.

I’ve yet to hear from a user of 2.01 if they can write 99 minute discs.

Of course, since I wtote that last post I’ve been having trouble with 700mb cd-rw discs. Nero doesn’t like them with my ver. 1.01 of the firmware. But CloneCD uses them without trouble…so I’m not sure if its Nero or firmware or a bit of both. In Nero I keep getting write errors (about 95% of the time).
I’m using: Nero 5.5.7.2.
Clone CD 3.3.4.1
Clone CD has never had a write error with the Laser Calibration turned on.

Spasmo, beggining with the version 5.5.7.8, Nero works correctly with the LG. I remember that versions prior to that doesn’t recognize the unit correctly (speeds and so) as far as I can remember.

I got a little conversation by e-mail with people at Ahead, to solve the problem. If you like I could post it here.

About the CCD support, I can’t tell you about, since I never had problems with Clone.

Hope this could help

Thanks for the information on Nero.

I was hoping it wasn’t a firmware problem.

Looks like I’ll be upgrading Nero this weekend and if that doesn’t cure it, then it’s either bad media or it’s firmware upgrade time.

CloneCD works as I hoped it would. Perfectly!

I upgraded my Firmware to 2.01 AND upgraded Nero to 5.5.8.0 and the problem is still there…but I found the cause.

I finally created a 700mb image file of mp3’s and read it with CloneCD. Then I wrote it to the 700mb CD-RW disc with Clone CD.

I then did a scan disc with Nero’s cd speed program.

5 of the 10 pack of Memorex 700mb Cd-RW discs are buggered!!!
50% error rate right out of the box!

I took a few screen captures of the cd speed results, but I can’t figure out how to include it with this message :frowning:

Nero spots the bad sectors as the information is being written, but CloneCD doesn’t :frowning:

So, CloneCD wasn’t as “perfect” as I thought. BUT I’m still very glad I bought the licence for it. It’s been excellent otherwise. :slight_smile: