Firmware 1.08 for PX-708A/UF now available

vbimport

at Plextor Europe http://www.plextor.be/technicalservices/downloads/firmw_708A.asp?choice=DVD-Recorders

Improvements:
Read support for DVD+R DL media.

Thanks aberzins! Added it to our Firmware database:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/drive/firmware/1112

Anyone already tried if it works? I dont want to be the first one :stuck_out_tongue: !

anyone here tried the new firmware? keep us posted… :slight_smile:
thanks…!!

Hi!

I think there is no need to update to 1.08, unless you are using dual-layer DVD+R without booktype-setting to DVD-ROM.

Well I may give it a try after work tonight but I kinda don’t want to chance it. 1.07 was the first firmware that made my 708a work 100%. Anyone notice that this firmware is 10kb smaller than 1.07? Did they delete write strategies for some media or something?

I think I may pass on this one.

I agree with Hirngrantn, why update unless you’re willing to pay big bucks for dual-layer and thank you Plextor for 1.07. Before firmware 1.07 the drive was a piece of junk now it will burn just about everything I throw at it.

If it ain’t broke why upgrade to the latest firmware. But I’m curious to see if my 708A will function ok if I used the latest firmware. I’m still using firmware 1.04 and have had no problems with the drive. I’ll sleep on it and decide tomorrow if I should try out the latest firmware. I do see that the change log is READ SUPPORT for DVD+R dual layer media.

RIG 1

PENT 4 3.0C Northwood chip (800fsb), ASUS mobo, 1 gb PC3200 (2x 512mb) Crucial & Kingston RAM, Pioneer 107D, Toshiba 1612 Dvd-Rom, Canopus ADVC-100, 200 GB Maxtor Hard Drive, 160 GB SATA Maxtor Hard Drive.

RIG 2

PENT 4 2.4 Northwood Chip (400fsb), Shuttle mobo, 1 gb PC2100 (2x 512 mb) Crucial & Kingston RAM, Plextor 708A, Toshiba 1612 Dvd-Rom, Plextor 48x24x48 CDRW, Maxtor Internal Hard Drives 60 gb, 120 gb, 200 gb. External Firewire 120 gb hard drive

im still using 1.06 and i really dont want to mess with it :smiley: works great for me

Sorry guys, I would have installed this version but I’ve sold my computer… Hopefully my new one will arrive here next Saturday so I can install firmware 1.08.

I flashed to 1.08 and so far it works just like 1.07. The interesting thing is the dvdinfopro doesnt say that it can read dvd+r DL.

Neither does Nero Infotool…

My PX-708A with 1.07 FW was able to read a DVD+R DL disc with booktype set to DVD-ROM, so 1.08 is mainly for reading DVD+R DL with DVD+R booktype, right?

I’m not realy sure. I cant get any programs to say that it can read DVD+R DL.

I thought it wasn’t possable to change the booktype on a DVD+R(RW) using a Plextor. Did I miss this feature being added through a firmware update? I’m currently using a Plextor PX-708A with firmware 1.07.

-D j K i l l a-

It still is impossible to change booktypes with Plextor burners.

Thanks for the reply Arrow. I was starting to get a little excited for a second but should’ve known better than to expect Plextor to make its customers happy. :wink:

-D j K i l l a-

g :iagree:

Any chance for RPC1 version ?

this from plextors website…

Date posted: September 21, 2004
Added support for reading of Dual Layer DVD+R media
Added support for new +R and +RW media
Improved write quality on Ritek and Gigastorage 4X media

ive been having problems burning ritek dvd-rs at 4x without having rings in them, maybe ill get some help.