Firmware 1.04 for Plextor PX-B940

vbimport

Got my new Plex at weekend and after installing I saw that it was shipped with Firmware 1.04 which is until today not available at Plextor America or Europe. My thoughts were sharing this with the other 940 owners in this forum. So my question is, is there any way to dump the 1.04 from my Plex and then flash it to all these who stay with 1.03

That would be great, especially since so far Plextor could not be bothered to release the firmware update for the rest of us :a … but unfortunately there’s no tool available to dump the firmware from Pioneer drives…

Meanwhile, thanks so much dear Plextor support! :rolleyes: :doh: … keep sitting on it, rather than release it! :a

It really drives me nuts when a company clearly has an update available, but they just could not be bothered to move their lazy bums to actually post it on their bloomin’ website! :Z

[QUOTE=cvs;2493026]That would be great, especially since so far Plextor could not be bothered to release the firmware update for the rest of us :a … but unfortunately there’s no tool available to dump the firmware from Pioneer drives…

Meanwhile, thanks so much dear Plextor support! :rolleyes: :doh: … keep sitting on it, rather than release it! :a

It really drives me nuts when a company clearly has an update available, but they just could not be bothered to move their lazy bums to actually post it on their bloomin’ website! :Z[/QUOTE]

+1

Three days ago I sent a message to Plextor Europe asking for firmware 1.04 and I’m still waiting any answer from them (it seems that their message that in 24h I’ll get an answer is a bad joke) :a :a

It seems that since my last purchase from Plextor this company has lost everything that made worth the extra money their drives cost :Z

Are they really getting this bad at support, or is it just a mere delay?

Further, does this fw.1.04 correspond to a particular Pioneer FW version, or is it an inhouse Plextor version?

I also have B940SA with fw 1.03 as Pioneer was not available anywhere here locally anymore (EU).

[QUOTE=Halcyon;2493183]Are they really getting this bad at support, or is it just a mere delay?[/QUOTE]

If its a delay, then its a pretty long one, since clearly they have the firmware for a while now given that the new drives are shipped with it. Pioneer already released fw 1.04 a while back now …
The point is that the firmware exists, they have it, but they clearly aren’t very bothered to release it. Its a simple enough thing to do … minimal effort, but it also requires someone to care / be interested to do it.
Hopefully if enough people are going to pester them with firmware requests and with the spectrum of negative publicity on forums, they’ll finally bother to release it.

[QUOTE=Halcyon;2493183]
Further, does this fw.1.04 correspond to a particular Pioneer FW version, or is it an inhouse Plextor version?
[/QUOTE]

Based on past examples of Plextor Pioneer rebadges, I bet the only difference would be the ID string and a few CRC bits …

[QUOTE=Halcyon;2493183]I also have B940SA with fw 1.03 as Pioneer was not available anywhere here locally anymore (EU).[/QUOTE]

Same here! Otherwise I would not have bought a Plextor rebadge.

So is it possible to cross-flash B940SA with the new Pioneer fw 1.04 firmware?

Here’s the “official” answer I’ve got from Plextor Europe after filling their contact form again, telling that I have firmware 1.03 and a friend of mine has firmware 1.04:

“There is no firmware update available to the PX-B940SA i’m sorry.
We do not have any information whether or not updates to that unit will be published.
This decision is made by our headquarter only.”

Well, then PX-B940SA is gonna be the last Plextor burner I buy… Let’s hope someone finds a way to cross-flash this burner with Pioneer firmware.

So you are a lucky one.
Until today I got no answer from Plextors support.
I also bought my Plex because the Pioneer isn´t available here in Germany.
Set all my hopes in a good support and was disapointed.
And I agree, for all coming updates, I hope someone can find a way of crossflashing, and this will be the last Plextor burner for me.

btw. it would be nice to have a 940 support for Opti Drive Control or PlexUtilities. Maybe Erik Deppe can do anything for us.

Its been several days now, and I haven’t got any reply from them either … :Z

I got my drive in January and it has 1.03 firmware. I emailed the support but haven’t received any reply so far. :frowning:

[QUOTE=BlueBull;2494725]I got my drive in January and it has 1.03 firmware. I emailed the support but haven’t received any reply so far. :([/QUOTE]

Support?? From Plextor?? :Z:Z:Z

Don’t waste your time, after 5 mails in two weeks I finally got one answer from them: “There is no firmware update available to the PX-B940SA”… Good luck.

Bought my Plextor B940SA new off eBay and mine has v1.04 f/w too!

The only comparison of this is too look at the Pioneer 1.04 f/w Supported Media List: http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/pdf/BDR_205_FW104_100121.pdf and hope the Plextor supports the same media!!

After replying two times to the mail from Plextor Europe support, finally they answered me yesterday saying… EXACTLY THE SAME, word by word…

“Recently you have contacted our Technical Support Team regarding a PX-B940SA.

There is no firmware update available to the PX-B940SA i’m sorry.
We do not have any information whether or not updates to that unit will be published.
This decision is made by our headquarter only.”

So I was correct, they don’t even read the mails… I also sent a mail to Plextor America, and at least they have another answer model:

“There is no firmware available for the PX-B940SA yet. Please check back periodically as it is anticipated to be released shortly. In the meantime, please use blank media that is on the recommended disc list, which can be found in your user manual.”

Can we trust them? Let’s hope so.

Could it be Pioneer modify the f/w first for Plextor then ship the drives to them already flashed as Plextor brand :confused:

Maybe it’s Pioneer not releasing the f/w to Plextor so their own branded drives get more exposure :bigsmile:

Available!
http://www.plextor-digital.com/index.php/component/option,com_jdownloads/Itemid,55/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=55&task=viewcategory&catid=132

[QUOTE=benau;2495465]Available!
http://www.plextor-digital.com/index.php/component/option,com_jdownloads/Itemid,55/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=55&task=viewcategory&catid=132[/QUOTE]

Hooray!!! :iagree: Pestering Plextor just enough worked after all :stuck_out_tongue: Better late than never I say :clap:

Oh, and it’s a kernel firmware too! :bigsmile:

PS. A quick look with a hex editor shows that the Plextor 1.04 firmware is quite different from the Pioneer 1.04 firmware … interesting …

Crossflashing from Pioneer BDR 205 to Plextor B940 should be possible. Probably nobody wants it.

Awesome news. I got reply from them today and they mailed me the firmware also. There is a customer support after all. =)

Awesome changelog:

Solving TSA issue with CD-RW media under Cyberlin Powerbackup utility

That’s just what we’ve all be waiting for :clap:

Great, it seems that they only needed some pressure from us :wink: