Firmware 1.04 available for PX-W4824TA drives!

vbimport

Plextor America has released it :slight_smile:

Released by Us Plextor,anyone had any "problems"with previous releases from those?Just curious so my upgrade won´t kill any possibilitys to back-up any SD or corrupted music disc ./gs

Is there actually any difference between the european and us firmware of Plextor drives???

Cause Plextor Europe is only at ver. 1.03…

Thats why I asked if ant one has had any problems with earlier firmware releases from the UsPlex,if there would be any differences then I would stick to .Be releases.

There is actually a difference in file size´s between .be and us releases!(correct me if I´m wrong PLEASE!)
( this is for 48x:er!)
-v. 1.01 ,us 494 kb,.be 444
-v. 1.02 ,us 371 kb,.be 445
-v. 1. 03,us 371 kb,.be 443.
Until further knowledge ,I´ll stick to v. 1.03/.be./gs

SORRY! I just found v.1.04 @plex .be!!Size 448kb,us 371 kb.

Actually both the fw’s from us and be are the same. Have experienced that in the past.

As for the download sizes, when you actually download the fw’s from the .com (us) site and the .be site, you’ll see they are of equal size. The reference to 371 kB on the .com site is false (also for 1.03 etc.)

Plextor Europe has a more interesting changelog for this 1.04 firmware:

[i]Fixed Bugs:
-Reformatting a Mount Rainier disc will generate an error.

Added:
-Correct identification of >79 minutes media
-Writing up to 99 minutes
-Limit read speed for digital playback of Audio CD to 8X to avoid noise

Improvements:
-Write quality on Verbatim 16X CD-R media [/i]

Oh, by the way, Plextor America and Europe have the same firmware, identical in size (447 KB (457.832 bytes)).

Sorry for any inconviniance!

The support for 99 min cds is a nice feature!! :slight_smile:

One of the things i was hopin they would fix with a firmware update!!

Cheers, Plextor team!! :bigsmile:

Lets just hope that even though they didnt mention it, copy protection issues have improved aswell…

Hello!

I have updated my burner to 1.04. now, during the update the drive ejected it’s tray. is this normal?

thanx

Ive never had the drive ejecting its drive during an upgrade.

I dont think that is normal, did u remove the cd before u updated???
Cause according to some u should before updating…

Anyway if ure drive works and it displays the correct firmware it should be fine!!!

there was no disc inside it :frowning:

should I try to re-update?
perhaps it’s a new thing in 1.04?

My tray did not eject during the 1.04 upgrade process (US download). Does your burner currently work? What firmware does the BIOS/OS identify the drive as having?

it displays normal plextor name, 1.04.

update: I re-updated it. before it even starts to re-program the firmware, it ejects the tray and then proceeds.

the burner works perfectly. I burned 5 discs with it after the update. that eject thing is just so strange. I can’t understand it and I’m a little worried.

thanx

I donnu, i guess u could always conatct Plextor, maybe they have an idea about whats goin on.

Originally posted by miha
it displays normal plextor name, 1.04.[…]
the burner works perfectly

Then why worry? If the burner is showing the correct firmware version and burning without problems, then where’s the problem?

Thanks for all the support from you guys!

I burned 13 cd’s already and I think it’s ok, I’ll live with it.
Just one more question, could re-flashing the drive with the same firmware cause problems?

Thanx!

Originally posted by miha
could re-flashing the drive with the same firmware cause problems?
Nope, although every time you flash your drive, there’s always a risk since something can happen during the procedure (power failure for example). Other than that it can’t hurt the drive.

Woo lucky me!! I just might’ve had the first 1.04-related problems…

Okay. So I flashed it. And now I have a kinda serious problem. My 4824 appears to not be able to read atip info anymore… but wait–there’s more! Heh. It also recognizes all my yummy 80min TY media as being 32 minutes, which well… I don’t need to tell you why that sucks.

So, naturally the first thing I did was go back to 1.03, but alas… still the same. Yikes. I’ve also noticed some other weird behavior with PlexTools 'n 1.04: specifically, it takes INSANE amounts of time to copy some audio discs to an image file… ones that take much less time with 1.03. (Ahh. I was also switching between 1.19 and 1.20a in there too. Don’t think it made much difference.)

So, in short: everything was perfect; I tried to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, and now… everything’s broken. :smiley:

But seriously though. I’m completely at a loss here.

PS: In reference to the tray opening… I’ve noticed that it does that when you leave a CD in the drive, which I did once accidentally, and once purposefully.

Originally posted by rumokeenme
My 4824 appears to not be able to read atip info anymore… but wait–there’s more! Heh. It also recognizes all my yummy 80min TY media as being 32 minutes, which well… I don’t need to tell you why that sucks.
How do you know the drive cannot read ATIP info anymore? When you can still burn discs, the drive can read the ATIP (since this is read before every burn to determine the available space on the disc, best write speed, etc). Seems like a software related issue to me (installed any new burn software recently?). Your TY discs, have you tried recognizing them with other software (Nero CD Speed, PlexTools for example)?