Firmare backup

I’m looking for a software to make a firmware backup to my Plextor DVD. Do you any which can do this ?

can u tell us what is the model number of your plextor dvd drive?

OC-FIRMWARE TOOLS AND HOW TO BACKUP FIRMWARE

firmware page

Official plextor page ( contains upgrade progs )

Thanks for the info.
The model is Plextor 116A2 drive.
I have some problems with it susspect the firmware for them.
The first link is for Lite-on drives and I have already tried mtkflash but it didn’t work.
From the second one I shall take the new firmware but first I want to make a backup to the existing one because I’m not 100% shure the firmware is responsible for my problems and probably upgrading with that one would cancel waranty which is not a good thing right now. That’s why I want to be able to restore the old one. I didn’t manage to find it on any site :frowning:
Plextor only offers the tools to upgrade, not to backup the existing one. For this model they offer no firmware upgrade.

Originally posted by azertiti
Thanks for the info.
The model is Plextor 116A2 drive.
I have some problems with it susspect the firmware for them.
The first link is for Lite-on drives and I have already tried mtkflash but it didn’t work.
From the second one I shall take the new firmware but first I want to make a backup to the existing one because I’m not 100% shure the firmware is responsible for my problems and probably upgrading with that one would cancel waranty which is not a good thing right now. That’s why I want to be able to restore the old one. I didn’t manage to find it on any site :frowning:
Plextor only offers the tools to upgrade, not to backup the existing one. For this model they offer no firmware upgrade.

Unzip mtkflash to the floppy disc or to a FAT16/32 formatted drive.

Now make sure that the drive that you are going to read the firmware from/write firmware to is connected to the main IDE controller and not to a secondary IDE controller card, also make sure that your drive is NOT configured as cable select(set it to either Master or Slave). Also write down/remember how it’s connected.

Boot your computer from the diskette containing the system files and make sure that NO CD-ROM drivers is loaded.

Go to the same drive/folder where you have mtkflash.

To backup your firmware type:

MTKFLASH “x” R /B /M filename.bin

Where “x” is a number from 1 to 4:

1: Primary master
2: Primary slave
3: Secondary master
4: Secondary slave

R is for Read out the firmware
/B is to save the firmware as a binary file
/M is to Merge the whole firmware into one file.
filename.bin is just an example, name your file so it will be easy to find back. I use the firmware version as the name like firmware version XS0U will be xs0u.bin. Don’t have the filename longer than 8 characters + bin extension.

these lines are from the first link i provided you . the other pages are just for finding the latest firmware for updating the drive .

please be careful while flashing and follow the instructions properly

mtkflash supports only drives that use mediatek chipset. I think Plextor doesn’t because the program stops responding when I try to make the backup. The led flashes for a moment and than nothing. I followed the instructions but it doesn’t work. I was looking for a software like mtkflash which supports my drive.