FireWire to USB adapter - Is it worth it...benefits/disadvantages

vbimport

I am currently looking into purchasing a new laptop, and I’ll need to hook up my firewire audio interface to use in conjunction with it. As I am sure many of you know; many laptops don’t come with built in firewire ports. Is getting a firewire to USB adapter (like the one’s seen on ebay for example); truly a solution to this problem or will I be significantly loosing out on the speed (and other things by doing this). Also, to my best knowledge the device is firewire 1 and not firewire 2.

All help will be truly appreciated.

Hold on what did you just say “ebay” more like ripoff bay…I wouldn’t trust that farther then I could toss my volkswagon at it…a little extreme but after hearing stories and ripoffs I have my doubts to their legitmacy as a online seller for people. Maybe take a look at Newegg and see what they offer you that would have some kinda gurantee and warranty for replacement or to that extent. I did find this adapter from Newegg assuming your laptop has USB 2.0 ports built in.

Not sure if this is exactly what you want but it’s not to expensive itself.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=sas84_heavyhitter;2482381]I am currently looking into purchasing a new laptop, and I’ll need to hook up my firewire audio interface to use in conjunction with it. As I am sure many of you know; many laptops don’t come with built in firewire ports.[/quote]There are still enough laptops on the market that have built-in firewire. Make sure it has a TI chipset.

Is getting a firewire to USB adapter (like the one’s seen on ebay for example); truly a solution to this problem
I wouldn’t trust such a converter. It’s performance will be worse than that of a real firewire controller.
If you don’t want to buy a laptop with built-in firewire, then get an add-on card with TI chipset, either ExpressCard or Cardbus, depending on what expansion port is available on your laptop.

Michael

mciahel & coolcolors, thanks for the advice there. Ir would seem more sensible purchasing a laptop with the firewire included. Quite a fan of HPs myself; but many seem to lack this feature…is there anywhere you can recommend to purchase or configure a system with this feature built in.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi,QUOTE=sas84_heavyhitter;2482585 Quite a fan of HPs myself; but many seem to lack this feature…is there anywhere you can recommend to purchase or configure a system with this feature built in. [/QUOTE]Some HP Pro Books and Dell Vostro or Latitude, Lenovo Thinkpad T400/500 come with 1394 (4pin) interface. No idea what chipset is present. You need to ask before purchase.
Since you want to run your 1394 audio device, you may ask the manufacturer of that device for recommendations also.