Firewall suggestions!?

vbimport

What is everyone’s suggestion for a great free firewall download? I have Windows XP, but from what I understand, it only protects against purely internet originated threats, and doesn’t account for spyware etc.

Also, I have used and loved Ad-Aware free before… but I’m having trouble getting it to download on my laptop now for some reason.

My thoughts for this tag team are… Ad-Aware and Comodo w/Anti-Virus? Thoughts…

Zone alarm for firewall- Sypbot S&D for spyware- both free

one of the best firewalls out there in windows firewall…n best of all is vista’s firewall…Same as Jethro said, try zone alarm…Zone alarm very good…

For spyware u can also try spyware doctor…

Firewall
I am happy with the Firewall in Comodo Internet Security.
I install the firewall with defense+ only, as I think the other security components of this “suite” still need some improvement.
The weakness of Comodo is the UI, which is not that intuitive and you will need to visit the Comodo forum to get the firewall and defense+ set up properly. But once set up right, its great and the settings can be saved to a separate file for future installations.
Spyware & Malware
I use Spybot SD for the immunizations mostly in combination with SuperAntispyware.
This all works well, without any apparent conflicts in XP SP3.

i am happy with firewall.

[quote=overclocking;2186319]one of the best firewalls out there in windows firewall…n best of all is vista’s firewall…Same as Jethro said, try zone alarm…Zone alarm very good…

For spyware u can also try spyware doctor…[/quote]

Thanks a lot everyone, great advice! I am going with Zone, since it’s free and also had a great write-up in this month’s PC Magazine along with your rec’s.

Above Overclocking, I always thought Spyware doctor was a paid download and program? Thanks again.

PS: Anyone else have any input on the superantispyware program? I visited the website, but can’t decide if I should replace AVG 8.0 Free with that, or run them in conjunction with SpyBot or what? Thanks.

honestly… as far as those ‘anti-spyware’ applications… unless you got alot of people you dont trust using your PC i dont think there worth having run in the background as it just burns up resources.

typically speaking if your careful on what you download odds are you will rarely (if ever) get infected with adware etc etc.

as far as (free) Anti-Virus programs… just use Avira anti-virus ( http://www.free-av.com/ ) i find it far better than the bloated/resource hog that Avast is (especially on Vista)… if you want to ‘pay’ for a Anti-Virus i would probably be using NOD32.

as far as a Firewall i just prefer a hardware firewall (i.e. Router, preferably one that can run DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) )

[quote=NBR;2186877]honestly… as far as those ‘anti-spyware’ applications… unless you got alot of people you dont trust using your PC i dont think there worth having run in the background as it just burns up resources.

typically speaking if your careful on what you download odds are you will rarely (if ever) get infected with adware etc etc.

as far as (free) Anti-Virus programs… just use Avira anti-virus ( http://www.free-av.com/ ) i find it far better than the bloated/resource hog that Avast is (especially on Vista)… if you want to ‘pay’ for a Anti-Virus i would probably be using NOD32.

as far as a Firewall i just prefer a hardware firewall (i.e. Router, preferably one that can run DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) )[/quote]

A lot of good points about system memory usage… I tried installing the free zone alert firewall, and it kept my pocket pc cell phone from tethering to my laptop for internet connection, which annoyed the crap out of me, I didn’t know if there was a way to stop that so I just uninstalled it.

Any ideas on a firewall that would be useful for my situation? I don’t have a router since I connect to the internet through my cell phone, and I only visit (95% of the time) trusted redundant sites (like this one) so is Window’s XP firewall enough, or should I check into Comodo? I just don’t want something that is going to screw everything up and annoy me with 1 million pop ups, thanks!

[QUOTE=dual layer dvd;2186969]… or should I check into Comodo? I just don’t want something that is going to screw everything up and annoy me with 1 million pop ups, thanks![/QUOTE]

In this case, I wouldn’t recommend the Comodo Firewall, particularly if you disliked ZA which is probably easier to set up and understand.

Thanks userkey, makes sense. Would you be able to point me to an easy to set up and dependable free firewall aside from the Windows XP one I have already?

Also… does anyone know of a way I can secure my external hard drives I have synced with my computer so that if the small chance happens when someone does hack into my computer somehow, they cannot access the data on those hard drives? Thanks as always guys! :slight_smile:

[quote=NBR;2186877]honestly… as far as those ‘anti-spyware’ applications… unless you got alot of people you dont trust using your PC i dont think there worth having run in the background as it just burns up resources.

as far as a Firewall i just prefer a hardware firewall (i.e. Router, preferably one that can run DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) )[/quote]

Hey NBR, I just installed AV a couple days back after you suggested it… and it seems to be good. But after a scan, it says I have “9 Warnings” which in AVG I could click a tab and remove/fix the warnings, but in AV I wasn’t sure how to take care of the warnings, any help? Thanks a lot :slight_smile: