Firewall light

vbimport

Hi everyone

I need a  good firewall that doesn't use much memory and resources from my PC.

I was using Norton Firewall but it kept crashing  my Windows while i was internet-surfing , so i need something lighter.

What do you suggest? -- I am using Windows 98.

have you tryed using Zone Alarm… I don’t think that it uses too much memory at all.

yes i use zonealarm and it works great!!! :slight_smile:

but if u have windows xp u will probably need tha newest version of zonealarm :slight_smile:

That depends alittle, I use to use Zone Alarm Pro 3, it was all upto date and when ever I was on the net it would crash my computer and make me have to reboot. ZA the free version is pretty good, so far no trouble with it. Also you could try Outpost, it’s open source.

Also you could try Outpost

Been running Outpost for a few weeks now and i reackon it’s not to bad.

I’ve had no problems with it at all so far.

Kerio isnt too bad … www.kerio.com (can I post a link here? I much prefer it over the bloatware that is ZoneAlarm 3, but thats just a personal opinion/preference :o)

I use tiny personal firewall - very affective and easy to setup, no probs for over a year!

Renke

Tiny and Kerio are the same thing, just under a different name. On Win98 maybe ZAP3 will work but it can be a pain.

I downloaded Tiny firewall , Zonealarm(free) and Outpost and i’ve been trying them the last days (not all at the same time of course).

Tiny and Zonealarm are light programs that don’t use much resources as i noticed , but Outpost has much more potential (ads and cookie blocking).

The problem was that everytime i created a rule with Outpost i kept getting a blue screen about an OE error and the application(Outpost) was shut down :a

When i used it at “allow most” mode i avoided the blue screens but my system was a bit unstable.I don’t know what is the problem - maybe i should try it a bit more and decide for good!

Zone Alram Pro 3 I do belive has the cockie and ad blocking but I think it’s a pile of crap that doesn’t work:a

Tiny and Zonealarm are light programs that don’t use much resources as i noticed , but Outpost has much more potential (ads and cookie blocking).

Zonealarm 3 DOES have this feature…but its not tuned (in my opinion) very well. a lot of sites get blocked out, and just general issues.

nav scope i think its called, is a program ive heard about…its meant to be pretty good at blocking ads / popups

Also for the pop up and stuff, this is what i have done.

I use the zero pops-up and a host list file.
The host list came from http://www.k-lite.tk

I have also modified it so other sites are added to it. I hardly get any popups now

Zone alarm. for w98

XP also has a firewall built in.