Firefox VS Internet Explorer

vbimport

Thursday January 20 12:00 AM ET
Browser Showdown
Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
By Brian Briggs

Other tech sites will bore you with in-depth “technical details” and performance specs in their product analysis. At BBspot we pull back from the boring benchmarks to compare the superficialities, and we do it all on a single page. Now that Firefox is gaining ground on Internet Explorer it is time to compare the two face to face.
Names

FirefoxInternet Explorer - Microsoft leaves no doubt what their products are. If they made toilet paper it would be called Butt Wiper. Internet Explorer isn’t a bad name, but it’s not spectacular.

Firefox - On the other end of the spectrum, the name Firefox gives no clue to what it is. Could be a car? 80s video game? Lame comic book superhero? Flaming dish at a wild game restaurant? A browser would probably be your last guess. No matter, it is a much cooler name than the utilitarian Internet Explorer.

Advantage - Firefox
Domain Names

FirefoxFirefox - firefox.com Some kind soul donated the domain to the Mozilla Foundation. At least they own their own domain name.

Internet Explorer - internetexplorer.com Microsoft doesn’t even own this one. It’s one of those generic search portals masquerading as an IE site.

Advantage - Firefox
Mascots

Internet Explorer - The big blue e with a swirly around it. A nice simple graphic, but not necessarily a mascot. However, with Microsoft’s history of mascots (Clippy, Bob), maybe it’s better they just stick with a letter.

FirefoxFirefox - A giant fox with his tail on fire attacking the earth. That’s the stuff of nightmares. Not as scary as a communist Godzilla but close. It’s a cool graphic but Internet Explorer has to win something doesn’t it?

Advantage - Internet Explorer
Google Fights

Why does Internet Explorer crash all the time? - 2.57 million results

Vs.

Why does Firefox crash all the time? - 218,000 results

Next…

Internet Explorer - 22.8 million results

Vs.

Firefox - 23 million results

That one is definitely a surprise.

Next…

Internet Explorer will help me get laid - 1.34 million results

Vs.

Firefox will help me get laid - 75,700 results

A much better chance of getting lucky with IE.

Next…

Internet Explorer came with my computer - 6.9 million results

Vs.

Firefox came with my computer - 659,000 results

Tie breaker…

Internet Explorer is the best browser ever - 2,110,000 results

Vs.

Firefox is the best browser ever - 474,000 results

Advantage: Internet Explorer
Coin Flip - Best of 7

The coin flip was conducted using a 2000 Sacajawea dollar.

FirefoxInternet Explorer - Heads

Firefox - Tails

Results: H-T-T-T-T-H-T

Advantage - Firefox
Stereotypical User

Internet Explorer - Brain dead newbie. Loves pop-ups, viruses, and spyware. Just wants to “surf the Internet and check my email.” Oblivious to alternative lifestyles. Seeks help from “computer smart” nephew.

Firefox - Proselytizing ubergeek. Loves freedom, choice, and tabbed browsing. Just wants to “improve mankind with Open Source Software.” Oblivious to market forces and the power of money. Seeks other geeks to join in on the evangelism.

Both are equally annoying.

Advantage - Even
Conclusions

It was a close battle, but Firefox edges out a victory against the Internet Explorer by a score of 3-2 with 1 tie and wins our Technical Award of Excellence.

heres the web page…

So bias, and funny way to compare.

Firefox = :bow:

Internet Explorer = :Z

Jailed for using a nonstandard browser

A Londonder made a tsnuami-relief donation using lynx – a text-based browser used by the blind, Unix-users and others – on Sun’s Solaris operating system. The site-operator decided that this “unusual” event in the system log indicated a hack-attempt, and the police broke down the donor’s door and arrested him.

From a mailing list:

For donating to a Tsunami appeal using Lynx on Solaris 10. BT [British Telecom] who run the donation management system misread an access log and saw hmm thats a non standard browser not identifying it’s type and it’s doing strange things. Trace that IP. Arrest that hacker.
Armed police, a van, a police cell and national news later the police have gone in SWAT styley and arrested someone having their lunch.

Out on bail till next week and preparing to make a lot of very bad PR for BT and the Police…

So just goes to show if you use anything other than Firefox or IE and you rely on someone else to interogate access logs or IDS logs you too could be sitting in a paper suit in a cell :frowning:

Original url: http://www.boingboing.net/2005/01/27/jailed_for_using_a_n.html

By the way , i use Maxthon: All the good stuff from IE and all the good stuff from all other browsers, multiple browser windows, popup killers and adverstisement removers. Beats Firefox every time.

Geeks use Opera and obscure browsers that I’ve never heard of.

Hey Im Not A Geek Opera Is Leet!111111

IE for me, not because I dont like FireFox, I suppose it is better, but I prefer the feel of IE.

The only open-source program I use is VirtualDub, that I find better than all the closed-source video programs, I have allways used closed source, and by far prefer it.

Ben :slight_smile:

Tabbed browsing rules.

Ditto…

Ditto again.

I wasn’t going to post that thread…but I’m a firefox user…and I really like the way it performs…and plus i figured CODE would have a comment too :slight_smile:

I installed it but i found it slower to load pages ?. don’t know if a config problem or not but i went back to IE

Bj

could be…i’ve got a fix for that if you want…speeds it up …even if your on dsl…my pages load almost 3 times faster

Use FF for a week or so. Get some of the kewl plug-ins then decide. I love FF

ok i say no to fire fox dont like the javascript inject that geos along with it but it is up to you cus i have hear some good thing’s and bad i use a program called maxthon and it is the same as fire fox with the tab’s but just more user friendliy

ditto to all the dittos, FF blows IE away. the only problem is due to the ubiquity of IE, some web pages don’t display properly in FF (because they’re actually NOT coded to the WWWC standards). the more firefox becomes used, the more webmasters will recode their pages correctly.

SS is right, there’s “Tweak Network Settings” plugin that will speed things up. alternately, you can type “about:config” in the address bar and tweak the MANY variables manually (there are many web resources on what these variables are and what the ideal settings for them are).

once you have tabbed browsing, you’ll never go back.

Maxthon is actually just an IE reskin/recode…the rendering engine is based on IE. i used to use it but it suffers from the same security holes and bugs that IE does.

i haven’t noticed any differences in the handling of javascript in FF compared to IE.

btw, i love BBspot…so funny in contrast to the overly technical nature of geekdom. they just did a similar article comparing Nvidia’s 6800 to ATI’s X800…believe the X800 won in the end :wink:

…there a link to a HOW TO …in my signature…just for those who might wanna try it

I use Konqueror. Clean, fast, tabbed browsing, and tweaked to accept and use Netscape plugins. Konqueror’s engine is used for Safari in Mac land.

is Firefox = Netscape?

No. Firefox=Mozilla. :wink: Anyways, I too am a Firefox user. I tried a couple of other browsers (ie Avant, Opera, IE) and none of them did what I wanted. As mentioned above Firefox does have certain limitations, however FF is gaining ground with each revision and eachtime I run my spyware checkers I am reminded why I prefer it. I know there are ways to tweak IE to make it more secure but why bother when with a free D/L you can have a secure browser that is all set and ready to go. I really don’t understand people complaining about the layout of FF, the default configuration is virtually identical to IE. It was by far the easiest browser to get adjusted to after years of IE use. Also the built-in pop-up blocker in the browser is one of the best I have ever seen. A number of pop-up blocker programs out there are nothing more than spyware invitations. So it is nice to have a secure one built right into the browser. As much as I like CDfreaks, I absolutely detest the fact that they use pop-ups on this site and having FF certainly comes in handy here.