Firefox pulled following security scare

vbimport

I just posted the article Firefox pulled following security scare.

Mozilla’s latest Firefox browser taken has been taken offline due to a security vulnerability.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/firefox-pulled-following-security-scare-64281/](http://www.myce.com/news/firefox-pulled-following-security-scare-64281/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Reason #4782 to turn off auto-updates and wait a week or two or ten.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2658977]Reason #4782 to turn off auto-updates and wait a week or two or ten.[/QUOTE]

You got that right, Christine.

Mr.Bill :iagree:

Version 16 is now patched according to Mozilla. Version 16.01 is available.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2658987]Version 16 is now patched according to Mozilla. Version 16.01 is available.[/QUOTE]
But is it 50% faster? Or are they just Keeping up With the Chromes’es?

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2658977]Reason #4782 to turn off auto-updates and wait a week or two or ten.[/QUOTE]

I’ve always thought that myself. :iagree:

I think that’s probably the real lesson here.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2658987]Version 16 is now patched according to Mozilla. Version 16.01 is available.[/QUOTE]

They must have been [U]really[/U] keen to get that one out as soon as possible.

Thanks for reporting that.

[B]Wombler[/B]

This was about the quickest patch-fix I can remember (albeit, only maybe 15 years of paying attention to this sort of thing).

Of course, “if it works” is the bigger question.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2658991]But is it 50% faster? Or are they just Keeping up With the Chromes’es?[/QUOTE]

As matter of fact, it is faster. :bigsmile:

:cool::cool:

I assume that Aurora (FF17) is OK??

OK, I jumped the gun and loaded 16.01 on a system and it’s been there for two whole days now. Wow - almost a world record, eh?!!

I keep waiting for 16.02 to show up - today’s Monday so maybe by tonight? I mean, what’s the chance of an Immediate Fix NOT needing a Fix-To-Fix-The-Fix?!!

I’m not exactly holding my breath here…

Do you also notice a speed increase Christine?

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2659843]…notice a speed increase?[/QUOTE]
No, not specifically, but I haven’t timed anything.

I think there are far too many unmeasurable and unknowable variables: ISP and measuring every switch’s and every cell’s traffic load and capability between my location and a server’s replicated location, for example.

When I can’t reach a server as quickly as I once did, I think “server load” and “traffic” have greater impact than my browser’s version.

Firefox 16.01 does take a bit longer to ‘install updates’ during it’s re-start of browser. This tells me “substantially more updates are being loaded” or “the checks for performance is far more exhaustive”. Or both.

All services seem to function as they always have, although I haven’t tried “import favorites from other browser” which has been BAD since 15 arrived. (An earlier version - 11 or 12 - had that Favorites Import failing, which were corrected one version later. But Version 15 returned this error, and 16.00 didn’t address it so I haven’t bothered to check 16.01 since it supposedly is a security update.)

OK, just testing IMPORT FAVORITES FROM OTHER BROWSER and IMPORT FAVORITES FROM HTML FILE, and both continue Version 15’s failures.

Version 13 and 14 handled these properly, and this service was correct for many versions up to either 11 or 12. That one version failed to properly import them, but the next version corrected it. I know v.13 and v.14 handle those correctly.

I suppose we must make these sacrifices as the world approaches 50% faster speeds.

Much less 1700%.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2659854]OK, just testing IMPORT FAVORITES FROM OTHER BROWSER and IMPORT FAVORITES FROM HTML FILE, and both continue Version 15’s failures.
[/QUOTE]Think they are concentrating more on google sync now than importing, Have you tried sync yet?

I like the Firefox Sync functionality - altough I personally would prefer to also synchronize (persistent) cookies which currently does not seem to work.

I even set up my personal Sync server - don’t want to rely on Mozilla

[QUOTE=Liggy;2659903]I like the Firefox Sync functionality - altough I personally would prefer to also synchronize (persistent) cookies which currently does not seem to work.

I even set up my personal Sync server - don’t want to rely on Mozilla[/QUOTE]It’s great, Saves me ages trying to remember all the addons I have installed. Just put in the key and it’s all back.

I haven’t tried Firefox Sync since I discovered early-version failings, but I should try it again.

I use Firefox as my default browser, but when I discover favorite websites, I load those into IE as my master bookmark-favorites keeper - since all browsers claim to import from it, and it offers few import abilities on its own. And has Harley and others have mentioned, many money-sites have simplified their programmers’ toolboxes by only subscribing to IE encryptions, so I imagine I’ll always have IE loaded somewhere. Just with few uses (money sites, visiting Microsoft, letting Ballmer and BillG know what I think of them, etc.).

So IMPORT remains important and it irritates me that they’ve got an IMPORT module for some versions that worked perfectly, and then other versions use bad code, bad quality control, bad oversight and bad corrective measures.

But Firefox still offers me a lot better features than its competitors.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2659933]I haven’t tried Firefox Sync since I discovered early-version failings, but I should try it again. [/QUOTE]Works fine now although you get the occasional error that it can’t sync but that’s nothing.

That’s odd I haven’t had to switch to IE for any site in at least 3 years probably longer about when Microsoft actually started to use the HTML standard instead of compatability mode. You know M$ create a standard make everyone else use it but don’t themselves.

Yeah I keep going back to it, I try others but it’s just annoying getting used to them.

“…annoyed trying to get used to them”…

YES. Macs and Linux provided browsers feel more comfortable to me than Chrome’s Zero UI.

I’d like to oversee a useability lab and see what all the different browsers’ fans are doing, and why they have their preferences. I get the feeling some browser fans are doing something completely different than other browsers’ fans.

I know, for me, Firefox offers a superior set of choices for Cookie Control (Options, Privacy, “Use custom…”) so I can set ‘remember Form & Search cookies’, but dump everything else.

I much prefer Firefox to all the other browsers. I occasionally use Chrome, but I find it strange and it doesn’t do all the things Firefox does. As for speed, I’ve never really had a problem with it. It works fine for me.
This news article about FF16 was a little scary, but they sure did fix it fast.
As ChristineBCW says it has loads of useful custom tweaks.

I’m having fibre broadband fitted on Monday, I wonder how much difference that will make to Firefox’s speed?