Firefox losing internet connection

Hi All,

This site has been a godsend for me with issues in the past and I have where possible helped, I hope I have anyway.

My latest issue is with Firefox (3.0.10) losing the connection to the internet. When this happens IE doesn’t work either I’ve tried to turn off the firewall, reset proxy settings turned off anti virus etc etc etc. and it works fine for a couple of hours then I lose it again I get a message about the connection being reset and being unable to connect, then when I close of firefox and restart it I get a message advising that it is still running but not responding and get told to either shut it or the system down, I usually just click ok and restart firefox and away we go.

It’s driven me to distraction and I’m starting to think it might be an a issue with my ISP but I want to rule everything else out first.

I’m running:
XP SP3
3.2 G Dual Core Processor
1G Dual Channel DDR1 RAM
120G Hard Drive
1TB Hard Drive
Pioneer DVD-RW DL
LiteOn DVD-RW DL
Samsung DVD-ROM

My experinece has been the opposite here lately. IE drops or hangs and FireFox is good and steady.I still have IE7

Try with another browser first…

[QUOTE=sherman1972;2291454]

It’s driven me to distraction and I’m starting to think it might be an a issue with my ISP but I want to rule everything else out first.

[/QUOTE]

My suspicion is with both browser not connecting would be the ISP problem. One browser dropping would results in uninstall and reinstalling it. But my money would be for ISP problem or line problem. What kinda BroadBrand did you have would be also helpful???

My problem is similar to Sherman 1972 but has been occurring very sporadically the last few months with recent versions of firefox. After I close it, firefox won’t restart. It seems to hang. I start IE Explorer and everything works ok except for all the 0x800… errors I get when I close a tab or even when I don’t close a tab. {:] Firefox will work fine as usual after a reboot for weeks and then the same problem. I think the problem is my system specific because not too many people seem to be having this problem. This particular system is a 4year old Dell which I haven’t reinstalled the OS (XP) in many a year… I have a lot of various programs and too many processes but I use it more than my Vista 32 & 64 because I have adapted to all its quirks and idiosyncracies. This gives me an opportunity to solve more problems for future reference. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=sherman1972;2291454]

[/QUOTE]

Harder to troubleshoot or isolate but maybe a bad modem or router, if you are using one to share your internet connection.

I seem to think it might be something to do with MSN Messenger when ever it’s logged in I have the issue but the weird thing is the browser in Bitlord works fine while IE and Firefox don’t work.

I’ve also had a problem over the last month or so with suddenly losing my Internet connection. As I have two PCs connected to a router and a cable modem, spotting the problem is like finding a needle in a haystack.

As my home network is still operational, I’m not sure it’s the router (kind of eliminated this anyway by only plugging one PC directly into the modem and still not getting a net connection).

I’m thinking ISP problems as well in my case (I’m with Virgin Media in the UK, who - up until all this - have been uber-reliable). Another thing I’m suspicious of is the modem, as brokenbuga suggested - I’ve had this same modem, in constant use, for about 4 years or so.

I also wondered if it could be related to Vista in some way, but then surely other complaints of the same from Vista users would be all over the place by now.

However - I do happen to be also using Firefox. Updated to the latest 3.5.2 yesterday though, so we’ll see how that goes.

I’ve kinda gotten used to it now, though. It comes back up when it feels like it. :slight_smile: