Firefox lead dev: Microsofts IE9 marketing claims are "nonsense"

Firefox lead dev: Microsofts IE9 marketing claims are “nonsense”.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/03/gcgyp.jpg[/newsimage]Mozilla and Microsoft have been major players and archrivals in the web browser market for several years now, and with all new versions of their software now being released the rivalry is once again heating up.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/firefox-lead-dev-microsofts-ie9-marketing-claims-are-nonsense-41494/](http://www.myce.com/news/firefox-lead-dev-microsofts-ie9-marketing-claims-are-nonsense-41494/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

One thing that I will say is that IE 9.0 launches a hell of a lot faster than the latest iteration of Firefox 3.x. I have tried speeding Firefox up by not loading add-ins, but this doesn’t seem to do anything.

Maybe Firefox 4.x will be better?

Strangely, I have a dual boot computer with Win 7 and Ubuntu, and Firefox loading much faster in Ubuntu than in Win 7. Must have something to do with the way that I have ti set up. Maybe I should do a full uninstall and reinstall in windows and see what happens.

Hi :slight_smile:
IE9 is faster than FF for me.
That is regardless of whether I use FF 3x or FF 4xbeta.
However the latest Opera beta is by far the fastest of them all. :wink:

Speed is relative to what system and how your broswer is setup and what kinda addons you have installed. So for real test would be a no addon browser and most recent final release ie IE9 and FF4 on same computer and O/S. Then we can have a real test of browser performance. So let’s not compare apples and oranges unless we have a real test.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2580345]Speed is relative to what system and how your broswer is setup and what kinda addons you have installed. So for real test would be a no addon browser and most recent final release ie IE9 and FF4 on same computer and O/S. Then we can have a real test of browser performance. So let’s not compare apples and oranges unless we have a real test.[/QUOTE]

My comparison is addon free.
Both IE9 & FF4 are at RC stage.
So it should be relative.
Only Opera is a totally revamped beta.
The OS & the PC are constant too
So like most … can’t see the wood for trees… :doh:
P.S. This is not personal, more of an observation about FF followers in general.
Sorry.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2580352]Hi :slight_smile:
My comparison is addon free.
Both IE9 & FF4 are at RC stage.
So it should be relative.
Only Opera is a totally revamped beta.
The OS & the PC are constant too
So like most … can’t see the wood for trees… :doh:
P.S. This is not personal, more of an observation about FF followers in general.
Sorry.[/QUOTE]

huh??? that sounded like a double edge sword comment though…not to mention the amount of security holes in IE itself…RC stage is a bad comparisons for either browser however you look at it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2580412]huh??? that sounded like a double edge sword comment though…not to mention the amount of security holes in IE itself…RC stage is a bad comparisons for either browser however you look at it.[/QUOTE]

It is all relative … surely?
As such will probably run forever…
You will see what you expect to see more often than not.
My comment is … If it works for you … good.
I would add that to talk about security holes in IE & not mention FF has its own holes too.
Well enough said…

Myself I use Opera 11.01, whilst testing Opera beta 11.10.

BTW 2.35 in the first 24 hours - in the next 24 hours total has risen to 3.5 million downloads of IE 9 (probably even more now).
Lets see how FF 4 gets on next week. :iagree:

To all of those using FF.
FF 4 RC2 beta is available now…

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/RC/?WT.mc_id=hp_1&WT.mc_ev=click

The fact that FF is on it’s “RC2” pre release isn’t exactly confidence inspiring…

Browsers are FREE so I don’t understand why some people get so passionate (negatively or positively) about any of them

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2580572]The fact that FF is on it’s “RC2” pre release isn’t exactly confidence inspiring…

Browsers are FREE so I don’t understand why some people get so passionate (negatively or positively) about any of them

AD[/QUOTE]

That what I attempting to say that it doesn’t matter which broswer you use regardless you will get to yoursite one way or another… :confused: RC or Beta that how software is built and fixed we just have to admit to that is how development goes for software. I got IE9 loaded and it wanted to kill my addons from the software I instaleld and I told it No to not let it stop my running program that I use. But it did inform me the option to disable them which is a good thing rather then just stopping my programs without my permission.

[QUOTE=blegs38552;2580338]One thing that I will say is that IE 9.0 launches a hell of a lot faster than the latest iteration of Firefox 3.x. I have tried speeding Firefox up by not loading add-ins, but this doesn’t seem to do anything.

Maybe Firefox 4.x will be better?

Strangely, I have a dual boot computer with Win 7 and Ubuntu, and Firefox loading much faster in Ubuntu than in Win 7. Must have something to do with the way that I have ti set up. Maybe I should do a full uninstall and reinstall in windows and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

I’m also running a dual boot but of XP and Win 7. Firefox 3 gets bloated with add-ons and is slower than Firefox 4. I run Firefox 4 with AdBlock Plus, No Script, Ani Weather and Flashgot and it still fires up just about the instance I execute it. Firefox 3 on the other hand is slower and for some reason specially with add-ons takes forever to load, it sometimes took about a minute to load while my PC was sitting idle, but FF4 even with my PC under some hefty stress still started up instantly.

I would recommend upgrading to FF4 and just wipe FF3 from your system, it’s a hell of a lot better and way faster.

BTW, this entire topic reeks of “conflict of interest” starting with it’s title

Of all the people who’s opinion on IE9 that we should pay attention to the head developer of the newest Firefox is pretty much the bottom of the list (right next to M$ public relations people or IE9’s head developer) because the idea that he doesn’t have “an axe to grind” on the topic is simply unbelieveable.

And to simply say “time will tell” which group will get to sell the banner advertisements, tracking your web activity (and selling that information) and route you to different search pages (and toss up different “seeded” search results) wil play out in it’s own time.

AD

Here are the latest (03/22/2011) speed tests from Lifehacker:

Hardware and OS: ThinkPad T61p, with a 2.0 GHz Intel Centrino Duo processor and 2 GB of RAM. A Fresh Windows 7 installation.

Although I use all browsers on different desktops, my “precious” is an old Panasonic Toughbook PII, 6GB HD, 128MB ram running Puppy Linux. Since using IE is out of the question and I’ve yet to get Chrome or Safari to compile and run on Puppy I’m left with FF or Opera. Opera uses 85% memory with 4 tabs open, no add-ons except it’s built in ad blocker while FF uses 165% memory with no add-ons.