Firefox Cookie Management

vbimport

Firefox on one PC has 3 choices under the “Keep Until” tab of Privacy settings, but a second PC has only 2 choices and is missing the third choice “Ask me every time.” I think both PCs had 3 choices, but it’s now missing on one PC. Why is this, and is there a way to regain that missing third choice?

I like Cookie Monster.

It appears the option was removed. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1101070

CDan’s suggestion will help replicate the lost functionality.

You can’t win with cookies. If you try to maintain control you wind up seeing sites that don’t work because cookies are blocked. If you delete all cookies at close, you lose wanted stuff too.
Somebody needs to come up with a better way. Even blocking 3rd party cookies can cause problems on many sites.

[QUOTE=CDan;2778832]You can’t win with cookies. If you try to maintain control you wind up seeing sites that don’t work because cookies are blocked. If you delete all cookies at close, you lose wanted stuff too.
Somebody needs to come up with a better way. Even blocking 3rd party cookies can cause problems on many sites.[/QUOTE]
If you have the “Ask me every time” available in Firefox and select it, it will ask every time whether you want to accept or deny eavery cookie. That way you keep the ones you want and deny those you don’t want.

Recently I installed Firefox in WinXP, and it still has all 3 choices. If it’s not available in latest Firefox version, I gues the only way to regain and keep it is to download an earlier version and turn off automatic updates. I suppose Mozilla will next remove the option to block third party cookies. Sounds like Mozilla is following Microsoft’s lead in eliminating privacy by taking away user controls. What a disappointment!

[QUOTE=CDan;2778832]You can’t win with cookies. If you try to maintain control you wind up seeing sites that don’t work because cookies are blocked. If you delete all cookies at close, you lose wanted stuff too.
Somebody needs to come up with a better way. Even blocking 3rd party cookies can cause problems on many sites.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, you can learn to live without wanted stuff as far as cookies go. I have finally gotten rid of the last cookie and delete everything on session close, can’t say I miss it. All it takes is to start using the brain again :bigsmile: - Back in the early '90s I remembered each and every phone number I needed for day to day work, about 30-50 of them. Then the mobile phone came along and handled it all… Today I only remember three phone numbers, my own, my wife’s and my daughter’s. :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

What I find somewhat annoying though is that it means I will have to click on ‘OK’ each and every time I enter as site, even here where I am greeted by

on every visit, ‘[B]OK, got it[/B]’, still I do not keep cookies, no matter how much this or other websites wish I did and so after clicking the button for a hundred visits or so I gave up and now I simply have that bar at the bottom of my browser at all times. In other words, in my case it has become part of the sites design…

I have been using CCleaner for quite a while to deal with wanted and unwanted cookies. It takes a little time to populate the “save cookie” list but once you do it is easy to add or remove them as needed. This way every time I run the program it wipes cashe, cookies, temp folders etc. It really helps to keep things in check.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2778816]Firefox on one PC has 3 choices under the “Keep Until” tab of Privacy settings, but a second PC has only 2 choices and is missing the third choice “Ask me every time.” I think both PCs had 3 choices, but it’s now missing on one PC. Why is this, and is there a way to regain that missing third choice?[/QUOTE]
FF48-I still have those options showing. So what version are you talking about? Did you use 3rd party software to change FF settings?

Also version 48 for my PC, and no third party software was used to change any settings.

Self Destructing Cookies extension for firefox does a great job! It deletes cookies a set time after you leave whatever site set them.

If you’re using Firefox, there’s an addon called “I don’t care about cookies”. I’ll bet you can’t guess what it does!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=“kusmy, post:11, topic:313709, full:true”]
Self Destructing Cookies extension for firefox does a great job! It deletes cookies a set time after you leave whatever site set them.
[/quote]I also use Self Destructing Cookies. It’s a pretty good addon for Firefox, it’s too bad it isn’t available for other browsers.

I sandbox the entire browser to avoid anything being left behind. No history, no ‘popular’ destinations, no cookies, no nothing.

I’m having a new challenge I have not yet found time to look into which means I can’t use the last few new versions of Firefox since it will not show any contents (it is there though).

I’ll probably have to explain that. Most installs are done in VMWare Workstation on a separate server which I connect to remotely using VNC as KVM only and in a sandboxed session. Starting Firefox and entering i.e https://club.myce.com will render the page but only a white blank page shows. I know the page is there as it shows on the server when viewed directly, just not in the remote session.
I think this is some hacking protection of sorts which makes it useless for remotely connected VMs and so I have to resort to other apps based on the Gecko engine…