Firefox 53 marks the end of support for Windows XP and Vista

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Firefox 53 marks the end of support for Windows XP and Vista[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2012/02/FirefoxLogo.jpg[/newsimage]

Windows XP and Windows Vista will no longer be supported starting with Firefox 53, scheduled for March 2017. After that date none of the popular browsers provide an up-to-date browser for both outdated operating systems.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/firefox-53-marks-end-support-windows-xp-vista-80548/](http://www.myce.com/news/firefox-53-marks-end-support-windows-xp-vista-80548/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

And firefox this they are the only browser in town? Being a open source another will pickup where firefox left off.

Pale Moon already did that and long before Firefox started going downhill :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Zod;2781502]Pale Moon already did that and long before Firefox started going downhill :)[/QUOTE]
Another taking up challenge to revise for older O/S is far different then saying it is going down hill. Last I looked Firefox was along one of top used Browser so far - not sure where the downhill is coming from but haven’t seen FireFox go downhill yet.

I wasn’t a big fan of the comestic changes that came a long when they moved the australis (sorry if I got the name wrong) interface.  The nice thing about firefox is it’s pretty customizable, so I found an addon that makes it work a bit older school.   It’s why I like Pale Moon too.  The Gui is based before Firefox took that fork in the road.

I wasn’t a big fan of the comestic changes that came a long when they moved the australis (sorry if I got the name wrong) interface.  The nice thing about firefox is it’s pretty customizable, so I found an addon that makes it work a bit older school.   It’s why I like Pale Moon too.  The Gui is based before Firefox took that fork in the road.

[QUOTE=Zod;2781591]I wasn’t a big fan of the comestic changes that came a long when they moved the australis (sorry if I got the name wrong) interface. The nice thing about firefox is it’s pretty customizable, so I found an addon that makes it work a bit older school. It’s why I like Pale Moon too. The Gui is based before Firefox took that fork in the road.[/QUOTE]
But since is is open source others can make other versions of Firefox to use so it’s really up to other versions to do what they want as well. No one has to do same as Firefox they are more or less developing it to General uses that maybe why people use it more often. And users can customize if after that to what they want.

While I think PaleMoon had a better momentum before FF went 64-bit, I think Zod got a point in this, it is actually a good fork (in the road) and right now I am using it again myself.
Like Zod, I am not too in for cosmetic changes (and shit), but rather like to keep it down to functional levels and in this respect, PaleMoon seem to still have the edge. Sadly a few plugins cause troubles when run within SandboxIE, like the mega.nz plugin. Apart from that, it’s great.

Sure, there will always be people who will fork for reasons like keeping backwards compatibility, but that is all of a somewhat esoteric nature, like when I surf darkweb with a virtual Amiga 3000 to make sure I won’t catch a virus… MC680xx forever :flower:

If Mozilla really wants to save themselves some time, they should consider slimming Firefox down. They need to stop developing features no one wants in the first place. EME, and Pocket are both great examples of unwanted features, and are the reason I’m using Abrowser instead of Firefox.

As for Windows XP and Vista, that’s going to be a real problem for many users. I know a handful of people who haven’t upgraded from XP yet, and need modern browsers to browse the modern web. I also use Vista every once-in-a-while, mostly for Windows-only games, and occasionally need to browse the web for one reason or another.

Thank goodness GNU/Linux upgrades tend to be so much easier then Windows upgrades (not to mention free), since they sometimes have much shorter lifespans than Windows.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2781656]If Mozilla really wants to save themselves some time, they should consider slimming Firefox down. They need to stop developing features no one wants in the first place. EME, and Pocket are both great examples of unwanted features, and are the reason I’m using Abrowser instead of Firefox.

As for Windows XP and Vista, that’s going to be a real problem for many users. I know a handful of people who haven’t upgraded from XP yet, and need modern browsers to browse the modern web. I also use Vista every once-in-a-while, mostly for Windows-only games, and occasionally need to browse the web for one reason or another.

Thank goodness GNU/Linux upgrades tend to be so much easier then Windows upgrades (not to mention free), since they sometimes have much shorter lifespans than Windows.[/QUOTE]Til those other broswer start to bite at the heels of FireFox they will not do that. Those other browser based on the source code should take it to Firefox but they don’t do that either so that will not help establish those Browsers. It’s about name brand, I use FireFox and don’t worry to much about those other parts - I just customize it and it has been working fine. And my plugins don’t die or stop or freeze - all are living just fine. Problem is if you have to many Distro the usage is so small there will never be a consensus to win over Windows users. That’s Linux problem right now so many Distro competing with each other doesn’t help to get it more accept or help users learn it sooner. If one looks at the overall pictures Windows holds the largest market share and iOS next and then a distant 3rd is Linux Distros that are fighting a 3rd place spot what they need to do is knock off iOS and then Windows will get worried.