Firefox 4 moves out of RC and is officially released to the public

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2581704][B][U]That is the mindset that goes nowhere[/U][/B] and it’s just Euro not around the world. There are more users out there that use the IE that comes with M$ regardless of whether they know about the other browsers. So until that is taken into account trying to redress doesn’t do much.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
What is this?
Self analysis?
Nothing works better than word of mouth.
If Firefox was really streets ahead of the competition.
Surely it would have a greater market share.
Though I would concede that Opera appears to suffer a similar fate. :eek:

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2582753]Hi :slight_smile:
What is this?
Self analysis?
Nothing works better than word of mouth.
If Firefox was really streets ahead of the competition.
Surely it would have a greater market share.
Though I would concede that Opera appears to suffer a similar fate. :eek:[/QUOTE]

That is the kinda response is from those that fail to see that IE comes with windows even if it is not included in the euro version. Ahead of competition is subjective if at best. You fail to notice that software programmers and webmasters write their software to work with one or both browsers. So until you take that into account your analysis is never complete or showing the whole picture.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2582802]That is the kinda response is from those that fail to see that IE comes with windows even if it is not included in the euro version. Ahead of competition is subjective if at best. You fail to notice that software programmers and webmasters write their software to work with one or both browsers. So until you take that into account your analysis is never complete or showing the whole picture.[/QUOTE]

Ha! ha!

OK… So if Firefox is great.
How come most Linux users see a need for an alternative.
This of course excludes any interference from IE. :wink:
My friend.
I believe your are by far, the more blinkered one.
Most software will work with virtually any browser.
IMH experience that is.
I also rate Opera as the best myself.
Features of which have been copied by mozilla… :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2582839]Ha! ha!

OK… So if Firefox is great.
How come most Linux users see a need for an alternative.
This of course excludes any interference from IE. :wink:
My friend.
I believe your are by far, the more blinkered one.
Most software will work with virtually any browser.
IMH experience that is.
I also rate Opera as the best myself.
Features of which have been copied by mozilla… :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I think your closed mindset has gotten the better part of you. How you came to that conclusion is beyond any good judgements. Since when did I even say FF was great or even better?? Sounds like your trying to put words and statements into someone mouth and saying they said it. That to me just means someone with closed mindset unwilling to see there are options to just having one browser and software are programmed to work better and give more options on one browser then another and that is just the nature of the computing environment. And Unix is a totally different O/S from Win how you came to see them as the same O/S is indicating your the one that got taken for the long ride.

I can synchronise my bookmarks over multiple computer systems!

And therefore Firefox 4 is most awesome.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2582928]I think your closed mindset has gotten the better part of you. How you came to that conclusion is beyond any good judgements. Since when did I even say FF was great or even better?? Sounds like your trying to put words and statements into someone mouth and saying they said it. That to me just means someone with closed mindset unwilling to see there are options to just having one browser and software are programmed to work better and give more options on one browser then another and that is just the nature of the computing environment. And Unix is a totally different O/S from Win how you came to see them as the same O/S is indicating your the one that got taken for the long ride.[/QUOTE]

I just wish you would take time to actually read my posts properly.

Unix is a totally different O/S from Win

You think I am not aware of this… Please…

My point here is that IE has no game play.
Firefox does.
Yet most of the Linux users I know, would still rather use anything other than Firefox.

The fact you seem to be, always defending Firefox.
Trying to highlight, what a poor browser IE is.
Implies you are trying project your bias.

Again I state I prefer Opera to anything else out there.
Again (repeating myself to the point of boredom :wink: )virtually all the really innovative aspects of Firefox.
Would appear to be loaned from Opera :bigsmile:

So in conclusion … get the really … truly … best browser… Netscape…
Any doubts!
Just ask Charlie Sheen.
He knows a “WINNER”… :doh:

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2582997]
My point here is that IE has no game play.[/QUOTE]

If that isn’t a delusional mindset already - I am afraid your too off the edge already to have a meaningful discussion.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2582997]Yet most of the Linux users I know, would still rather use anything other than Firefox.[/QUOTE]

And this is based on?? And how many Win users are there compared to Unix. Those are odds you will not win any time soon.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2582997]So in conclusion … get the really … truly … best browser… Netscape…[/QUOTE]

Yes, and get hacked and botnet to the high heaven since that has been long dead and can no longer compare or give anyone with a reasonable mindset that browsing the net gives any security protection anymore.

"coolcolors"
You see what you want to see. :eek:

Regardless of OS.
The best percentage Firefox has is about 30%.
IE Has somewhere between 55 & 60% (Windows).

You take it all to seriously.
‘Netscape’ was a joke :doh:

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2583145]"[I]coolcolors[/I]"
You see what you want to see. :eek:

Regardless of OS.
The best percentage Firefox has is about 30%.
IE Has somewhere between 55 & 60% (Windows).

You take it all to seriously.
‘Netscape’ was a [I]joke[/I] :doh:[/QUOTE]

See what I want to see nah that is the reality of the browser world that is what is seen and user percentage is user percentage there is no sugar coating that will change it. That’s what people reply like when they are told the real numbers show what users use in-conjunction with their O/S.

Found something that Firefox 4 doesn’t do well. I was trying to watch streaming coverage by CBS of the Masters golf tournament. The streaming video tries to load, but never does.

Chrome does it in a matter of a few seconds.

Its the flash player in the browsers.

I have been a Firefox user for years, but starting with version 3,X, I notice that it was taking longer and longer to start up. Since I.E. 8 was no better, I stuck with Firefox. I recently downloaded both Firefox 4 and I.E. 9.0, and definitely saw I.E. as much faster. I thought it might have been the various Firefox Add-Ins, but faster is faster.

This weekend, I had to reinstall Windows 7, and installed both browsers as soon as my windows install and all updates (including SP-1) were done. Same conclusion,I.E. is much faster, and this is on a four year old Gateway laptop with an Intel 1.6 Ghz chip and 2 GB RAM.

Adding Firefox Add-ins only increased the difference. There are a few that both have in common - Norton and Adobe Acrobat PDF Converter, so these cannot be blamed.

I did notice one annoying is when you want to go back there isn’t the small arrow allowing you to choose how far you can go back but you have to click and hold the main back arrow button to see the back up features. That I find just annoying as heck…

"coolcolors"
When performing a clean install in europe.
When it comes to browsers.
This is what we see.

The order of these will change.
I just like the above preferences from left to right.
Opera > IE9 & stop. :cool: Enough for me.
If you click the link below you probably will get a variation of the above.
If you do not.
Just refresh to see the sequence is random.

http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserChoice/browserchoice_en.htm

It was not only for a clean install. All that had Windows installed got a KB through Windows Update with the same message as above. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2583797]Found something that Firefox 4 doesn’t do well. I was trying to watch streaming coverage by CBS of the Masters golf tournament. The streaming video tries to load, but never does.

Chrome does it in a matter of a few seconds.

Its the flash player in the browsers.[/QUOTE]Try loading a pdf in FF4, It can’t handle secure certificates very well either. It looks like a bastardisation of IE and chrome and acts like something that was coded by chimps. Then there’s it’s foot print, last time I tested it was 285mb with one page open and that was only after a minute, It was rising at all times. Firefox 4 is a slow buggy piece of crap, after a month couldn’t handle it anymore and went back to3.6 and wont be going to FF4 anytime soon again.

^ no problems with FF4.0x here. :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=slayerking;2588456]Try loading a pdf in FF4, It can’t handle secure certificates very well either. It looks like a bastardisation of IE and chrome and acts like something that was coded by chimps. Then there’s it’s foot print, last time I tested it was 285mb with one page open and that was only after a minute, It was rising at all times. Firefox 4 is a slow buggy piece of crap, after a month couldn’t handle it anymore and went back to3.6 and wont be going to FF4 anytime soon again.[/QUOTE]

That would hard to even know without knowing what you were doing and what site you were on to even make a assumption that no one here can reproduce or know about. Going back to prior version makes you a prime target for malware and virus and spoofing web sites that have already compromised prior version and their securities.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2588506]^ no problems with FF4.0x here. :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

I also had no problems using FF4 or IE9. What I would say is that sites are also written to work and give more features depending what browser interface the web or software programmers program to use. So one should also be aware of that fact. And it never hurts to keep your O/S up to date as well as your browser and flash plug-ins or shock-ware or silver-light plug-ins up to date as well. That way you reduce and eliminate possible bottlenecks or browser performance. Not all sites are equal browser friendly that should be taken into note.

Using FF 4.10, Opera 11.10, Chrome 11.0.696.68.
Clean install of FF and Chrome, no add-ons and whatever plug-ins they come with. With Opera I’m using the built in content blocker which loads a list of blocked sites on startup and I cleared the cache and history. The only page loaded in each browser is the Myce Forum page.

From Task Manager Process

FF memory 102,452
Opera memory 101,064
The strange thing about Chrome is there are five instances shown running all with different memory usage
Chrome instance 1 memory 14,872
Chrome instance 2 memory 15,282
Chrome instance 3 memory 7,128
Chrome instance 4 memory 34,452
Chrome instance 5 memory 41,320

I really don’t know Chrome that well and will have to investigate as to why five different instances are running. As for FF, the memory usage has increased to 122,528 since I began this post and I’ve done nothing but display the Myce Forum page since it was loaded. I’m typing this post using Opera, it’s memory usage hasn’t changed, holding at 101,102.

Windows XP(32 bit sp3) box, 2MB memory, AMD 3800 X2

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2588514]That would hard to even know without knowing what you were doing and what site you were on to even make a assumption that no one here can reproduce or know about.[/QUOTE]Well I wasn’t asking for your diagnosis I was stating actual bugs that exist. There’s a massive list in bugs that aren’t being fixed and are just being ignored. Like the installing of add ons without asking the end user.

Going back to prior version makes you a prime target for malware and virus and spoofing web sites that have already compromised prior version and their securities.
No being ignorant makes you a target.