Firefox 4 moves out of RC and is officially released to the public

vbimport

Firefox 4 moves out of RC and is officially released to the public.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/03/7qDQd8.jpg[/newsimage]It's been a long wait for web browser Firefox's fourth iteration, but today is the day. Originally scheduled as a November 2010 release, Firefox 4 hit technical snags despite a beta period that started early last July. The final version was pushed back into a vague 'Early 2011' period before a solid release date - March 22nd - was nailed down. Just last Friday its Release Candidate was improved, paving the way for the official launch. So, how much has changed within the popular browser?

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/firefox-4-moves-out-of-rc-and-is-officially-released-to-the-public-41806/](http://www.myce.com/news/firefox-4-moves-out-of-rc-and-is-officially-released-to-the-public-41806/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m having more trouble customizing FF 4 than earlier editions. They have removed some of the options, and have placed certain controls where I don’t want them. I’m sure I’ll adjust, but the overall feel is one of less concern over how an individual can set up the browser, and more emphasis on performance.

Those sliding tabs were making me crazy!

about:config

browser.tabs.animate;false

I noticed some of my plugins that worked in FF3 now doesn’t work in FF4 but I do hope they will release update soon to work with FF4. Other then that is seems to work good so far. I play with it more and see how it work and runs. Next step would be to place it on my laptop and see how it really work on a laptop.

I’m a huge fan of Firefox but can confidently say IE9 surpasses Firefox 4 for speed. IE9 is currently the fastest browser available.

[QUOTE=Anton P. Enus;2581339]I’m a huge fan of Firefox but can confidently say IE9 surpasses Firefox 4 for speed. IE9 is currently the fastest browser available.[/QUOTE]

Again speed is relative to the browser and the system setup. What is faster to one will be slower to another. So comparing again oranges to apples tells us nothing useful to determine from.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2581362]Again speed is relative to the browser and the system setup. What is faster to one will be slower to another. So comparing again oranges to apples tells us nothing useful to determine from.[/QUOTE]

I’m talking about using the same system setup to test both browsers, all things being equal, IE9 is the fastest browser out there. Don’t take my word for it, you can read just about everywhere else and they come to the same conclusion. Even MS haters are having trouble criticizing IE9.

I have to agree that IE9 works with lightening speed but I never liked the cluttered interface. Too many social banners and too much wasted space. IE seems to lack tools for customizing.

FF4 is fine for me - fast, no fuss and a lot less annoying concerning flash spam pop-ups in IE9. Will take some time until all add-ons are compatible.

[QUOTE=Anton P. Enus;2581366]I’m talking about using the same system setup to test both browsers, all things being equal, IE9 is the fastest browser out there. Don’t take my word for it, you can read just about everywhere else and they come to the same conclusion. Even MS haters are having trouble criticizing IE9.[/QUOTE]

Not all system Rigs are equal in their setups and not everyone here has the same Rig or setup as you as well. So to Generalize everything as working as yours is also problematic as well as those articles don’t reflect the vast majority of different hardware and setups that aren’t taken into account when making such claims. As you didn’t see I said is relative to the browser and system setups. There hasn’t been any kinda of official independent testing to verify any claims made beyond one speculations. Not til there is a real independent test outside of any influences from either camps this debt is just a mute point. Fact remains some site are programmed to run better with IE and some with either browser that most would agree to. As some feature would show up in IE but not FF and some site load correctly in one but not in another. That is just the nature of programming you program to run better with one or both browsers so there are trade-off when you do so.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2581419]FF4 is fine for me - fast, no fuss and a lot less annoying concerning flash spam pop-ups in IE9. Will take some time until all add-ons are compatible.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments as well some of my plugin for FF are currently disable cause they aren’t compatible with FF4. But FF4 still work as well as IE9. As other on here are keen to notice I don’t limit my browsing to just one browser to just surf the net.

FF4 is great but again, plug-ins I use every day won’t work. I’m kind of fond of Opera, seems to be one of the more sophisticated browsers out there, however, the Beta version seems very unstable. Also, can’t import Norton to Opera so it’s FF for now.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2581362]Again speed is relative to the browser and the system setup. What is faster to one will be slower to another. So comparing again oranges to apples tells us nothing useful to determine from.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
You keep stating the same thing.

All I can say is that the company I work for has over 350 users working from home.
According to their “Intranet” forum.
They all have found similar to me.
IE 9 is faster than Firefox 4.
I can also confirm that Opera beta has stability problems.
Even though not mentioned here.
Google Chrome is also very fast, possibly the fastest.
Though not as well liked as IE 9, Firefox 3/4 or Opera non beta.
In that order.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2581463]Hi :slight_smile:
You keep stating the same thing.

All I can say is that the company I work for has over 350 users working from home.
According to their “Intranet” forum.
They all have found similar to me.
IE 9 is faster than Firefox 4.
I can also confirm that Opera beta has stability problems.
Even though not mentioned here.
Google Chrome is also very fast, possibly the fastest.
Though not as well liked as IE 9, Firefox 3/4 or Opera non beta.
In that order.[/QUOTE]

How you came to such a conclusion with 350 members is beyond real conclusion. You do know IE comes with Windoze no matter if you want it or not?? And people only go to other browser when they feel the need to have more options. The word here is “Options” just sounds to me like your not willing to let others have their choice of browsers for their their needs.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2581571]You do know IE comes with Windoze no matter if you want it or not?? [/QUOTE]

In the EU you have the right to select it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2581571]How you came to such a conclusion with 350 members is beyond real conclusion. You do know [B][U]IE comes with Windoze no matter if you want it or not??[/U][/B] And people only go to other browser when they feel the need to have more options. The word here is “Options” just sounds to me like your not willing to let others have their choice of browsers for their their needs.[/QUOTE]

As stated elsewhere.
[B][U]In Europe Windows hasn’t come with IE for over 2 years[/U][/B]. :rolleyes:
As for conclusions.
You appear to have done a survey of 1. :wink:
Enough already.
Oh! BTW I actually use Opera myself.
Again as already stated elsewhere.
So I do believe in choice.
Just do not understand why followers of Firefox are so blinkered.
Hence my trying to redress the balance… :iagree:

[QUOTE=cynthia_old;2581575]In the EU you have the right to select it.[/QUOTE]

Thankyou… :clap:

[QUOTE=cynthia_old;2581575]In the EU you have the right to select it.[/QUOTE]

I always wondered about this - what’s the point since you do not need to use IE. My best bet it was a stunt from the EU to screw big money out of MS.

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2581657]I always wondered about this - what’s the point since you do not need to use IE. My best bet it was a stunt from the EU to screw big money out of MS.[/QUOTE]

The point was to not force a certain program to the users, instead they should have the right to select the program that they wished to use.

Consumer power is another word.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2581631]Hi :slight_smile:
As stated elsewhere.
[B][U]In Europe Windows hasn’t come with IE for over 2 years[/U][/B]. :rolleyes:
As for conclusions.
You appear to have done a survey of 1. :wink:
Enough already.
Oh! BTW I actually use Opera myself.
Again as already stated elsewhere.
So I do believe in choice.
Just do not understand why followers of Firefox are so blinkered.
Hence my trying to redress the balance… :iagree:[/QUOTE]

That is the mindset that goes nowhere and it’s just Euro not around the world. There are more users out there that use the IE that comes with M$ regardless of whether they know about the other browsers. So until that is taken into account trying to redress doesn’t do much.