In recent days, I've been searching around a lot for the right storage solution with my PC. I've a decent left-over pc (Dell inspiron 6400) and a couple of ext. HDs, so I wasn't immediately planning to buy a separate NAS unit. As I was searching around, I noticed that there are a LOT of solution available. Many different RAID levels (hardware as well as software based), JBOD and other types of storage. Besides that, there are many managing tools and programs (OS based, separate ones like freenas etc.). So I hope you guys can help me which is the right solution for me.. Here are some things I'd like to see/not to see:
- I can't really afford things like raid 1.. raid 5 is a bit cheaper I still don't prefer it. I'd like my hard drives only used for storage.
- I'd like to see several hard drives in one volume. But I don't want to lose the complete volume in the case of a failure of 1 HD. The rest of the volume should 'survive' (if that's possible)
- The used software should be easy to use and above all pretty light. I don't have huge amounts of RAM, only 512MB.
- I don't need top performance, because I don't really transfer files a lot. I mostly stream files which have a 10-20Mb bit rate.
- I don't really need many different added functions. Streaming is really the only thing I do.. download function would be nice but only if it doesn't limit anything else.
So, that's about it. I hope anyone can help me with this. Thanks!