Find Password

I just purchased a used Mac on E-bay, it is a Mac G5 M9454ll/A using Leopard 10.5.8. It came with no disks (I just ordered 10.6 from Apple), according to the info the, OS was a fresh install and all old info erased, my problem is I don’t know how to go about creating a new passsword, if it was a PC I would have no problem, been using them for about 30 years. Mac is new to me, like starting over. I e-mailed the seller for advice also, but that could take some time. Any help on setting the password? Thanks

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2679182]I just purchased a used Mac on E-bay, it is a Mac G5 M9454ll/A using Leopard 10.5.8. It came with no disks (I just ordered 10.6 from Apple), according to the info the, OS was a fresh install and all old info erased, my problem is I don’t know how to go about creating a new passsword, if it was a PC I would have no problem, been using them for about 30 years. Mac is new to me, like starting over. I e-mailed the seller for advice also, but that could take some time. Any help on setting the password? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi durkinit:
I am not that computer savvy but what good would a password be if it could accessed by anyone else but Apple? Just interested to know, I never owned an Apple.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2679182]I just purchased a used Mac on E-bay, it is a Mac G5 M9454ll/A using Leopard 10.5.8. It came with no disks (I just ordered 10.6 from Apple), according to the info the, OS was a fresh install and all old info erased, my problem is I don’t know how to go about creating a new passsword, if it was a PC I would have no problem, been using them for about 30 years. Mac is new to me, like starting over. I e-mailed the seller for advice also, but that could take some time. Any help on setting the password? Thanks[/QUOTE]

We unforunately can’t help with anything related to passwords or BIOS protection that is between you and the seller. Rules prohibits us from giving help there. Otherwise your left with talking to Apple assuming they can verify the ownership of the Mac…

I’m assuming you’re trying to set the password for a user, not the system password? If this is true, and if the default account on the system is an administrator account (which it likely is) With no password, you can always make a new basic user account with a password, then make sure you have a second administrator account with a password for times when your normal primary user account just isn’t useful. Or (still assuming the account has no password set currently), you could assign a password to the current account. After that, you could maybe delete the original password-less account from the system. All of this can be done through System Preferences --> Accounts (or Users, or something to that effect. It’s been a while since I used 10.5.8).

But if the current user account has a password and you don’t know it, you’ll have to wait…

Once you get the 10.6 installation disk, you can wipe the hard drive yourself and start from scratch, making a password-protected admin account during initial setup. Then you can make a normal user account for regular usage.

However, if there is a password on the system preventing its boot, Apple can probably offer advice. Google might actually offer better advice. [Seriously, I know articles about such a problem exist, and you can find countless threads on the topic around the Internet with decent solutions].

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2679182]I just purchased a used Mac on E-bay

according to the info the, OS was a fresh install and all old info erased[/QUOTE]

I would never be so sure about that… It’s not that difficult to obtain the OS and it’s not expensive. Why not obtain one and make really sure you have a totally clean system?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2679250]I would never be so sure about that… It’s not that difficult to obtain the OS and it’s not expensive. Why not obtain one and make really sure you have a totally clean system?[/QUOTE]
Unless I can’t read, it looks like an OS X 10.6 upgrade disc (which also performs clean installs) is on the way.

As far as I remember, you can also boot from the OS disc and run a password reset from there.

Thanks Liggy, say hello to Dee!

Just found out the upgrade to Mac 10.6 requires an Intel processor, which I do not have. That being the case should I get the 10.5 OS, I currently have 10.5.8.

To create or change a password on a mac, click apps>disk utility>images, drop down menu to change password. You don’t have to have a password. I’ve had a mac for 12 years and I have never had one. Only when you start from scratch with an apple disk, apple will ask you for a password which you can create just for that purpose of setting up. Then you will never use one unless you want to log in every time you boot up.
Hope that helps. BTW, If you go to the top lefthand corner under the apple, click “about this mac” and then click ‘more info’ and you will have all the info re your mac. If you have intel, you will see it near the top of the list.
macbass