Finally, finally, finally!

vbimport

After 2 RMAs I finally received a good working burner. TLA 308 June 2005.
Only burned one CDR with it though. I’m just happy it can read both cdrs and dvds now. Haven’t done a DVD burn with it yet but I’m sure it will work fine. I think Plextor has finally got around building a PX-716a burner that works. Well at least for me. My faith in them is somewhat restored. I’ll give this new burner a full weekend of DVD burning and hopefully it will remain fully operational afterwards. I’ve only run acouple tests with Plextools on a cdr. I’m still not exactly sure what these tests actually tell me. I’ll try and do a few tests and provide the results here and maybe someone can tell me if they are good. I have plenty of TY disks (both cdr and dvd-r) to burn with.

BrianS

Thanks for the info BrianS. Now at least three people (bulletx, Two Degrees and you) reported that US Plextor is sending brand new drive TLA 0308 for RMA.

Did I hear someone say my name?

Glad to hear someone else is sharing a little happiness today!

We all deserve a little every now and then.

DVD Writer Plextor Px-740A & CD Writer Px-230A is OEM of BenQ ? is this Truth?

I don’t know about the 230, but the 740 is 100% BenQ.

What was even better was the fast turnaround time. Received the new drive 5 days after they received my returned one. I think maybe they finally got all the bugs out of the design. Only time will tell as I put the drive through numerious burns this weekend.

I think just by reading all the failing drives reported on this forum that they must have aquired really bad laser diodes (cheap ones), and used them in the PX-716 model drives. If thats the case maybe they are putting in better quality ones. Something as stupid as saving a few dollars and not opting to get better quality parts could kill a product line such as this burner. That is just my opinion of what the problem could have been. It’s not what actually could have been the problem. I’m just guessing. I’m a electronic technician and have been repairing consumer electronic products for over 25 years.
I’ve done alot of CD player car and home models and know that companies will try to get the cheapest parts they can get their hands on just to make their products work.

Anyway, I hope more people get this model TL-308 for their RMA return as it seems to be working nicely without any problems.

BrianS

Well, I burned a Sony DVD-R (manufactured in Japan) with this new burner (TL-308 June 2005). Not sure what it really means, or how good this is. Don’t know if I scanned it with the correct setting in Plextools either. Maybe someone can comment on this and let me know? It was only about 3.4 gig on the disk. Burned it at 8x.

ID 0:(E:) PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.08 (S/N:707742) (0.0.0A - 0.0.0A)
Read speed: 3-8X CAV, Jumper settings: 001, Buffer under run proof enabled

Type : DVD-R (General) ,1 layer(s) BookType : DVD-R
Label : 08_12_05 (08-12-05)
Application : Nero Burning ROM
Publisher : -
Contents:
4.38 GB, ISO 9660, Joliet
Disc Region: 1 2 3 4 5 6 8

Certified Write Speed: 8.0 X
Drive Write Speed : 4.0 X - 6.0 X - 8.0 X
Manufacturer ID : SONY08D1

PlexTools Professional V2.23 Q-Check PI/PO Test
Copyright © 1999-2005 Plextor SA/NV
Friday, August 12, 2005

PIE        POE        POF
   Avg      10.25          -          -
   Max        220          -          -
 Total    1149455          -          0

Not the very best numbers on a SUM-8 scan ever posted, but well within specification; you should have no trouble reading/playing this disc - fairly typical results for non-recommended media. The SUM-1 test would be a better indicator, as long as the PIF counts stay under 4.

BTW, Alexnoe’s Pxscan/Pxview produces a better graph and you can do the SUM-8, SUM-1, and beta/jitter scans with one command. :cool:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~noe/Plextor/

Thanks, will give that a try.

Brian

BrianS, I posted a SONY 08D1 (made in Taiwan, though) burn & scan done on a PX712 <a href=“http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1084765&postcount=1373” target="_blank">here</a>.

True for the 740a. I do not have asolute proof concerning the 230a, but the information i was able to gather seems to indicate that this drive uses a Philips chipset like the 740a too, which makes it verly likely a BenQ.