Finally figured it out!

vbimport

Hi! Guys :bigsmile:

Just thought I'd share some info with you all.....

Some of you may remember my post concerning Mt. Rainier and the LITE-ON LTR-40125W , Firmware version WS05 anyway after OC-Freak informed me that this particular drive doesn't yet have a Mt. Rainier supported firmware upgrade I then asked what could cause my Lite-On to stop recognising the info on CD's with the "Smart Burn Media Check" utility.

I was informed that maybe it was because of some bug in these CD utilities which may require an Aspi layer to be present so I installed Force Aspi but still didn't get any Joy!

Today I mistakenly accessed an old Roxio EZCD, Direct CD formatted CDR disc which wasn't closed and got Error Drive D is not accessible and then noticed that I couldn't even access regular data CD's. Restarting had no effect either.

At this point I thought I frigg'd my new Lit-On.

As a last ditch attempt I uninstalled Nero and installed my old copy of Roxio EZCD Platinum 5.02 with the latest update 5.1 and now everything works great.

I think EZCD must have inadvertently messed up my system when I uninstalled it.

I know most people don't like EZCD and I am aware that there are incompatibility issues with it and other writing softwares but no other software will allow you to format CDR's like EZCD's Direct CD which really has its upsides. I also read somewhere that Lite-On writers and EZCD don't really get on hence my initial reason for uninstalling it in the 1st place but I can tell you that this updated version has added new drive support which seems to work fine with mine.

I just wanted to provide you guys with information concerning my experience in the hope that it helps someone as much as I've been helped by reading the many posts displayed in this fine forum.

Keep up the good work guys! :cool:

If you can test how this new version performs in DirectCD with CD-Rs (not CD-RWs), let us know!

I have abandonned making DirectCD CD-Rs because it was so much slower with the Lite-ON (writing at 2X-4X) than with my old Plextor 1210A (wriyting at about 10X)…

TIA…

No problem here… just took a crappy no name Imation disc and formatted it with Direct CD which took all of about 3 seconds and now I can drag and drop to my hearts content and when I can’t fit anymore on the disc I’ll finish it which will make it accessible in any CD drive…:slight_smile:

Seriously…my Lite-On writes to the disc quite fast just like if it was a floppy. :bigsmile:

How would you know the exact speed its doing this???

OK, make a test 100MB file and transfer it to the DCD disk, then do the same for a 100MB selectio of files (through explorer)

Now watch how it writes. On mine (40125S, ZS08), the burn was stop and go, with the burner speeding up than slowing down again after roughly every 2MB chunk. Normally it should burn in oine stretch. On mine it would alternate: burn, stop, burn, stop,… Red light on for a second, then stop, then again and again. You get the picture… No need to say I quickly abandonned ever making succesful, practical DCD CD-Rs…

Time the transfer (how much time to transfer the 100MB). That should give you a good idea of true burn speed.

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated! :slight_smile:

83bj60 :

If you’re determined to write UDF to CDR’s, try WriteCDRW, the latest version will do so. There is a free trial version that will NOT do so, but the pay version will. I just happen to possess a copy, tried the CDR feature once and it seemed to work, but is also slow. It caches the entire session to HD, then writes when you hit the eject button. I haven’t been willing to keep this one installed, as I have system crashes with any UDF utility installed, but it seems to be about the best UDF I’ve tried.

Originally posted by 83bj60
[B]OK, make a test 100MB file and transfer it to the DCD disk, then do the same for a 100MB selectio of files (through explorer)

Now watch how it writes. On mine (40125S, ZS08), the burn was stop and go, with the burner speeding up than slowing down again after roughly every 2MB chunk. Normally it should burn in oine stretch. On mine it would alternate: burn, stop, burn, stop,… Red light on for a second, then stop, then again and again. You get the picture… No need to say I quickly abandonned ever making succesful, practical DCD CD-Rs…

Time the transfer (how much time to transfer the 100MB). That should give you a good idea of true burn speed.

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated! :slight_smile: [/B]

O.K! 83bj60

Just finished your 100 MB test regime…

Results:

Single 100MB file took ~1min 38sec to complete with NO start & stop interuptions.

Selectio of 100MB mp3’s via explorer took ~1min & 52 sec to complete with ~5 speed up, speed downs.

These were my results hope it helps.