Finally fgured out why DVDFab does not recognize my drives!

vbimport

A bit of backstory:

I upgraded to a laptop with 32-bit Vista in April 2007, and then to a desktop with 64-bit Vista in August 2007. DVDFab always worked fine on my laptop with its DVD burner. However, I never could get it to recognize either of my burners on my desktop. Thinking this was likely a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue, I hunted around for 64-bit ASPI drivers, etc., etc., etc.

To make a long story short, I never could get DVDFab to work on my desktop. If I came across a disc I could not backup using DVD Decrypter, I would bring it over to my laptop, then transfer the resulting ISO file back over to my desktop.

A couple of weeks ago, I reinstalled Vista from scratch on my desktop (I’ve been playing around with vLite). Hoping that perhaps something had been changed or fixed, I installed DVDFab again. Lo and behold, it worked now! I did a test rip of one of my movies, worked fine, etc. Awesome!

I went about configuring my fresh OS install with my usual complement of software and settings. A week later, I fire up DVDFab again… and back to the old problem of not recognizing either of my drives! :confused: Application conflict? Driver conflict? Something that I had removed with vLite? But why did it work at first, but not now? And yet it continues to work fine on my laptop (also with a vLited Vista install)!

After more head-scratching and quiet meditation, I figured it out: DVDFab 5 (including 5.1.0.8 beta) appears to ignore the A: and B: drives (bolded for those who want to cut to the chase :bigsmile:). Since I have no floppy drives on my system (haven’t touched one in years, and have no intention of ever touching one again!), I assigned my two burners as A: and B:. Upon reinstalling Vista, the drives went back to their default assignments (J: and K:, or something like that). DVDFab worked fine like that. When I reconfigured things to my liking, I switched drive letters around, created additional volume mount points (I have a lot of drives), etc.

It works on my laptop, because the DVD burner there is F:. Yet all my other DVD-related software recognizes A: and B:… Windows Explorer, DVD Decrypter, ImgBurn, Nero DiscSpeed, DVD Shrink, DeepBurn, etc.

I’m thinking that for some reason DVDFab is hard-coded to ignore A: and B: as potential optical drives, when it really ought to be scanning down the list of devices, without discriminating based on drive letter. Can anyone else test this out to confirm? I’m going to try this on my laptop next.

Amazing! I would sure have still been looking for a conflict with one of the apps that were reinstalled. There may be a reason for the “ignore A:\B:” but I can’t imagine what it is. Were those drive letters reserved for the floppy controller in Win95 or something?? Thanks for sharing this with the forum :clap:.

What do you think I had been doing for the past 15 months? :frowning: :bigsmile: A: and B: are the traditional floppy drive letters, but I don’t know if it was ever mandatory? Yeah, maybe way back with Windows 95 or earlier… but c’mon, we’ve moved on since then. :wink: Anyway, as I say, all my other apps that scan specifically for optical drives do not suffer from this problem.

You can imagine my frustration doing searches for this problem, when the search terms include “a” and “b”. :eek:

Should I PM fengtao or is there an official bug report forum? Or is this post enough?

[quote=taob;2149539]What do you think I had been doing for the past 15 months? :frowning: :bigsmile: A: and B: are the traditional floppy drive letters, but I don’t know if it was ever mandatory? Yeah, maybe way back with Windows 95 or earlier… but c’mon, we’ve moved on since then. :wink: Anyway, as I say, all my other apps that scan specifically for optical drives do not suffer from this problem.

You can imagine my frustration doing searches for this problem, when the search terms include “a” and “b”. :eek:

Should I PM fengtao or is there an official bug report forum? Or is this post enough?[/quote]He may see this but I would still send him an email [B]fengtao(at)dvdidle(dot)com[/B] with a link to this thread. Excellent detective work.

Good idea, thanks. And yes, I confirmed this behaviour on my 32-bit Vista laptop as well. I would have DVDFab already open with a disc in the drive, then swap drive letters. I can move the drive from F: to G: to H: to I:, etc. and DVDFab would pick it up each time. Move it to A: or B: however, and it loses sight of the disc.

Just for giggles, I fired up my XP SP3 VM and tried it there. Same deal. So it definitely looks like a DVDFab issue, and not specifically related to a particular version of Windows.

A and B was hard coded into XP on back to Win 3.1 if I am not mistaken as a floppy drive a= 1.44 b=5.5, Had not heard of Vista untill this post

[QUOTE=bean55;2149651]A and B was hard coded into XP on back to Win 3.1 if I am not mistaken as a floppy drive a= 1.44 b=5.5, Had not heard of Vista untill this post[/QUOTE]
It does not appear to be an OS issue, though. I can easily assign the DVD drive as A: or B: in both XP SP3 and Vista SP1. I have not come across anything in a very long time that still works on the assumption that A: and B: must be floppy drives. Windows still defaults to assigning floppy drives A: and B:, but that’s more of a legacy thing than any “hard-coded” value.

What’s wrong with D-Z? I’m almost out of drive letters with ODD’s :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Bob;2149675]What’s wrong with D-Z? I’m almost out of drive letters with ODD’s :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Technically, nothing. But it really bugs me seeing my nice drive mount configuration not start at the beginning of the alphabet. :bigsmile: I figured “hey, I have two drives, and two available drive letters!”. Also, when I look down the front of my tower, the drives are physically mounted in alphabetical order, with A and B (and thus my two burners) at the top. :iagree:

[QUOTE=taob;2149706]Also, when I look down the front of my tower, [B]the drives are physically mounted in alphabetical order[/B], with A and B (and thus my two burners) at the top. :iagree:[/QUOTE]yeah same here but my case is tool less.

I have simular problem: if DVDFAB doesn’t reconize my dvd drives (E & F drives) as sccidrives when i clk START nothing happens My Drives are SCSI\CdRomASUS____DRW-1814BLT_____1.13 &
SCSI\CdRomASUS____DRW-2014L1T_____
BOTH SATAII

I’m very pleased to report that the problem with A: and B: drives has been fixed with this morning’s release of 5.1.1.0! Discs are now recognized in either drive, and there were no other problems doing a test rip. Huge kudos to Fengtao for such a quick response to a problem that had been bugging me for over a year! Nothing stopping me from upgrading to the Platinum version now!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

[QUOTE=Ralfcndy;2149757]I have simular problem: if DVDFAB doesn’t reconize my dvd drives (E & F drives) as sccidrives when i clk START nothing happens My Drives are SCSI\CdRomASUS____DRW-1814BLT_____1.13 &
SCSI\CdRomASUS____DRW-2014L1T_____
BOTH SATAII[/QUOTE]
Seems like a different problem from mine (which appears to be specific to A: and B: drives). I assume your drives show up in Windows Explorer? Have you tried other software like ImgBurn or Nero DiscSpeed to see if they recognize the drives?

[QUOTE=taob;2149962]I’m very pleased to report that the problem with A: and B: drives has been fixed with this morning’s release of 5.1.1.0! Discs are now recognized in either drive, and there were no other problems doing a test rip. Huge kudos to Fengtao for such a quick response to a problem that had been bugging me for over a year! Nothing stopping me from upgrading to the Platinum version now!

:bow: :bow: :bow:[/QUOTE]Glad it’s fixed for you now :slight_smile: