Finally 16x on my xford 911+ ads enclosure

vbimport

I have had issues with this enclosure since I got it some 2 years ago. Finally found the latest uploader for windows uploaded it to 1.02 firmware and change the default settings to work with udma mode (not sure why it wasn’t to begin with, I am thinking because of udma harddrive compatability). If you have a oxford 911, 911+, 912, 922 enclosure and want to update it go here http://www.cooldrives.com/firewireinfo.html
choose windows oxford.
you need to find the latest firmwares for it here http://www.fwdepot.com/firewiredepot/firmware/firmware.html

I set mine up with the following settings and finally could get to 16x (25mps burst) with firewire.

Awsome news! I owe you, I have 4 drives connected to 911 bridgeboards and I cannot wait to see what happens. :bow: :bow:

Nything I need to know in advance?

also set master as cd/dvd

you have to reboot after install or it will not work.

I think by enabling the atapi udma mode it started using udma on the cd drive instead of dma mode. I would think for udma harddrives you would want to leave those unchecked.

?? what are you referring to here?? Did yours work with the 911? I assume the others were already able to do faster throughput?

master details above dropdown cd/dvd drive.

I’ll go try things out on my other computer. I’m sure I’ll see what you are talking about there. Crossing my fingers…I thought I had that firmware already.

just match my screen prints and then upload changes. to load a .bin file you use upload upgrade firmware. the site i provided above has the firmwares for all the oxford chipsets. You may have the firmware its not that new. but the advanced settings are what helped me. After your done with the advanced settings just hit upload changes to save it to the enclosure.

Well, I already had that firmware, ver 4.0. I got into the advanced settings and enabled UMDA for both slave and master. Uploaded the changes, still only get 13MB/s burst rate.

I can add a flash with Burst read enabled but I don’t think that is waht you had in mind. Sorry, your images aren’t loading.

Any suggestions?

Ah. I see, you have the 911+ I have the ordinary version. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. Do you happen to have a website that sells 911+ bridgeboards? Assuming they are Firewire 1394 (not b). I think I see it at Cooldrives. No deal, only works for one drive. At that price, I will just get the boards out of the Plumax cases and adapt them to my tower.

Oh well, for a while I was happy.

Well I finally saw your images. I guess the new server is having trouble with Firefox. Even Explorer had to load the images seperately. Your advanced options have more settings for the Plus chip that aren’t in mine, most notably the max file transfer is half yours.

Ah well, if you do see any 911+ master/slave bridgeboards, point them in my direction.

prolly the plumax are the fastest make sure you get the latest firmware for them as i posted in the big external enclosure thread sticky.

My oxford 911+ were ads dual drive enclosures bought at circuit city they were expensive though.

For anyone following along, and there may be a few, I found a source for Oxford 911 Plus firewire 1394a bridgeboards. The bad news is it will cost $70 delivered. I have yet to understand how Plumax can take a board, add a power supply, put it in a case, add power, USB, and firewire cords, make a profit, and sell retail for $30. Either these Plumax cases are the bargain of the century or the bridgeboard sellers are making waaaaay too much money.

http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_info.php/products_id/719

Time to buy a lifetime supply of TYG02; then my problem is theoretical.

Well done Jamos. :clap:

I was also excited for a moment or two, but like chas0039 it seems I’m out of luck with my standard 911, (no *+).

More testing required. :slight_smile:

With this enclosure ADS Dual I can get 16x on my liteon, pioneer, LG, and NEC. Benq still has issues with 16x, best I got was barely burst of 21 mb/s with my 1655, DW1620 burst, even flashed with EW162I firmware, was 20 mb/s.

Looking for a case right now. I might have to get this from www.ads.com, which if anyone wants it is the cheapest place to find it. It is 69.99 plus shipping.

http://www.adstech.com/products/DLX185/intro/DLX185intro.asp?pid=DLX185

That is pricy for a case. Is there something unique? Do you need Mac? I get 27 MB/sec with Liteon and Prolific 3507 with no problem.

I just want to make sure I get 16x burns with my NEC 3500a in an external. Will the Plumax withthe Prolific chipset work? http://www.dealsonic.com/plpmblcousb22.html

I can get 16x with my prolific and my NEC 4550 but I have a very fast NF4 AMD64 motherboard/cpu combo, the ADS will probably be about 1 mbs faster than the prolific if its the 911+ enclosure and not the 911 one. (how you tell is the newer 911+ doesnt have a special power cord for it…ie case power cords work with it).

and I have seen the ADS enclosure on sale for around 50$.

Thanks for the info. Well this is going to be used with a HP laptop with a Turion 64 ML-40, which they use HP made motherboards. Its an HP Pavillion dv5035nr. If the prolific will hit 16x I might just try the plumax case.

I think these are my USB drivers. Not sure if this helps.

Driver : usbehci
Description : EHCI eUSB Miniport Driver
Version : 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Company : Microsoft Corporation

Driver : usbhub
Description : Default Hub Driver for USB

Driver : usbohci
Description : OHCI USB Miniport Driver

Driver : usbser
Description : USB Modem Driver

Driver : USBSTOR
Description : USB Mass Storage Class Driver