Finalizing compatibility?

[qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic DMR HS2. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a DMR-HS2 that no longer recognizes CD-R discs (and recognition of comercially recorded DVDs is on the way out).

I know the DVD drive used in the HS2 is shared by the E30 and the T3040 … but have not been able to pick up any for replacement.

On ebay I see some E85 (among other models). What is the model-to-model compatibility? If I get an E85 will it be able to finalize the unfinished discs I recorded on the HS2?

What about other models? Are all panasonics capable of finishing off discs from other panasonic models, or are there some combinations that won’t work?

[QUOTE=rmhartman;2309508]I have a DMR-HS2 that no longer recognizes CD-R discs (and recognition of comercially recorded DVDs is on the way out).

I know the DVD drive used in the HS2 is shared by the E30 and the T3040 … but have not been able to pick up any for replacement.

On ebay I see some E85 (among other models). What is the model-to-model compatibility? If I get an E85 will it be able to finalize the unfinished discs I recorded on the HS2?

What about other models? Are all panasonics capable of finishing off discs from other panasonic models, or are there some combinations that won’t work?[/QUOTE]

I am familiar only with 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008/2009 model year Panasonics. DVD Drives of those model years may be swapped only between machines of the same model year, not between models of different model years. Used DVD Drives of this vintage may be in the same or worse condition as yours. Generally, most Panasonics will finalize discs recorded on other Panasonics.

Your DVD Drive may need only a routine lens and rubber hub cleaning. (Lens cleaning discs do not clean the rubber hub atop the spindle.) If the rubber hub is dirty or has oily residue the disc may slip during read, write, and finalizing operations. This will cause “no read” and or writing or finalizing failures as well as any number of other problems.

Routine lens and rubber hub cleaning should be performed at eight to ten month intervals, more often with heavy use or in warm, dusty or smoking environments, or where discs are handled with a finger through the center hole.

See this thread for more information, advice, and photos:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/

The DVD Drive in your HS2 may be similar in appearance to the one pictured in this post:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/index3.html#post2181779

[B]Take care to follow the instructions and heed the cautions.[/B]

Nah. I did the hub cleaning thing and it was no help.

But it does should like if I get an 85 I will be able to finalize my HS2-created discs. That’s good news. Thanks.

It’s also been reported older JVC built DVDRs (not the current outsourced ones) will finalize a Panasonic DVD although it’s much easier to find a used Panny to do the job. Try wegotbetterdeals.com for referbished Pannys starting at $72 for the ES-15 which is a decent machine(no HDD).