Final version of Windows 8 will have start menu code removed

Final version of Windows 8 will have start menu code removed.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/final-version-of-windows-8-will-have-start-menu-code-removed-61930/](http://www.myce.com/news/final-version-of-windows-8-will-have-start-menu-code-removed-61930/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Wow, that’s a bit of a kick in the teeth from Microsoft! :eek:

That kind of kills it as a viable choice for me.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’m already using libre office at work, and have installed it for everyone else, and slowly peppering our little office with odf format documents to slowly introduce libreoffice to other people.

I use libreoffice at home and so does my wife.
As it stands, we both have android tablets which we use 90% of the time for everything, and laptops for the remainder. I dual boot with ubuntu, but keep windows for work programs.

I’m considering installing Ubuntu for her. She G-mails, plays movies, listens to music, writes libre office documents, connects to our openmediavault server.
We really don’t need anything microsoft anymore .

Windows 8 makes me realise how divergent Microsoft really is to what the world wants/needs.

Something business people realise is that you are only as good as your last job/product.

Microsofts established userbase is being eroded, and they really don’t have the luxury of experimenting with enforced useless interfaces.

This really is the beginning of the end for M$.

I will be very surprised if Windows 8 does as well as Vista did.

Another problem I see is that whatever comes after Windows 8 is unlikely to include a start menu either. Vista did poorly mainly due to its clumsiness, stability (prior to SP2) and PC makers shipping it on under-powered hardware with far too little RAM.

With Windows 8, the main hardware issue will be the legacy mouse and I somehow doubt that people are suddenly going to give up their trusty mouse for touch-screens. Hasn’t Microsoft heard of “Gorilla Arm”?

[QUOTE=Seán;2637649]Hasn’t Microsoft heard of “Gorilla Arm”?[/QUOTE]

They may well have heard of it Seán but it doesn’t look like they’re paying it much attention. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

If you have any stock in Microsloth, dump it now!
I’d rather use ME (another blazing success for Microsoft) than have Metro forced upon me.
It might be “Neet” for the brainless under 30 crowd but those of us in Business are going to tell Gates exactly where to put Win 8, sideways and without lubricant!

Perhaps you should look at it in another perspective. Windows 7 is finally moving business off of XP in large numbers. Win 7 is stable, well liked, has good driver support, and has a interface that is easily learned by the millions who have been using Windows in business environments since Win 95 debuted. This is the operating system that Microsoft expects business to use now and for the foreseeable future for desktops and laptops, perhaps even to its end of life in 2020.

But anyone who is looking ahead in computer trends knows that we are gradually moving to more portable devices for many of the day to day tasks, slightly more in home use now, but it is also becoming a force in business environments as well. Microsoft has to do something to make themselves relevant in this newer market, and Windows 8 and Windows RT are their solutions for this. By giving users an interim operating system that will work on both their older systems and in the new portables that are being developed, Microsoft hopes to remain dominant and offer their customers some hands on experience using this new type of interface.

As we become more accustomed to the touch screen interface in portables, and learn how to use the desktop within Win8 with more traditional mouse and keyboard, Microsoft intends to wean us off the older style and be ready in 2015 for Win9, which I predict will again look nothing at all like Win7 and the traditional MS operating systems of the past.

Personally, I don’t like the looks of Metro in the slightest, and wouldn’t have much use for it on my desktops. I doubt I will stray from Win7 without some major inducement…say $50 for an upgrade version of Win8. And even then it better have some major improvements under the hood to make me endure Metro.

But if we are considering tablets only, I think Microsoft’s new operating system might tempt me to dip into those waters. But they will have to compete with Android in price and features of the hardware. Microsoft is somewhat at the mercy of their hardware partners in this.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2637735]Perhaps you should look at it in another perspective. Windows 7 is finally moving business off of XP in large numbers. Win 7 is stable, well liked, has good driver support, and has a interface that is easily learned by the millions who have been using Windows in business environments since Win 95 debuted. This is the operating system that Microsoft expects business to use now and for the foreseeable future for desktops and laptops, perhaps even to its end of life in 2020…[/QUOTE]

Yes they are moving to it because of SP1 not because they have to upgrading has a big downside COST…but it does have a big Benefit of being newer and able to be truly multuser access like Unix with one Admin and many users accounts something which XP had problems doing that actually works.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2637735]But anyone who is looking ahead in computer trends knows that we are gradually moving to more portable devices for many of the day to day tasks, slightly more in home use now, but it is also becoming a force in business environments as well. Microsoft has to do something to make themselves relevant in this newer market, and Windows 8 and Windows RT are their solutions for this. By giving users an interim operating system that will work on both their older systems and in the new portables that are being developed, Microsoft hopes to remain dominant and offer their customers some hands on experience using this new type of interface. .[/QUOTE]

Trends are trends but not everyone can afford such devices or need or have to weigh their cost and benefits will they get much in return or do they even really need it? People now days have so much gadgets and yet when the battery or dies they become zombies and can’t do much anything else. We are so stuck to our devices we forgot how to communicate by land line and letters or face to face meetings or emails aka that still exists.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2637735]As we become more accustomed to the touch screen interface in portables, and learn how to use the desktop within Win8 with more traditional mouse and keyboard, Microsoft intends to wean us off the older style and be ready in 2015 for Win9, which I predict will again look nothing at all like Win7 and the traditional MS operating systems of the past…[/QUOTE]

That will be in the eye of the beholder…Once your touch screen no longer register any touch what will you do then??? The good old mouse and keyboard that is what…having a backup is a good alternative to something that can fail whenever.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2637735]Personally, I don’t like the looks of Metro in the slightest, and wouldn’t have much use for it on my desktops. I doubt I will stray from Win7 without some major inducement…say $50 for an upgrade version of Win8. And even then it better have some major improvements under the hood to make me endure Metro…[/QUOTE]

I double that more with a passion…is it so hard to listen to legitiment customer concerns and make a O/S that address their concerns and not your bottom line figures???

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2637735]But if we are considering tablets only, I think Microsoft’s new operating system might tempt me to dip into those waters. But they will have to compete with Android in price and features of the hardware. Microsoft is somewhat at the mercy of their hardware partners in this.[/QUOTE]

Tablets only are a niche market just like smartphone is a niche market. You will never have the retail space a laptop or desktop in screen quality or visual aspects. Lugging around a 20 tablet isn’t what I call a fun day at the office. And also those system are limited in what they store and can offer when you need programs on demand and don’t need connections to do so as they come with full programs and can do more then just text and video chat as laptop can program anaylse webchat and video out something a tablet or Ipad can’t do or have the power to do. Sure the tablets and Ipad can do similiar but those system come with trade-offs with laptops being the weight that is the big concerns. I may be out of the main stream but they way I see it is Tablets and Ipad are just a niche market and just like laptop and desktop are but they reason laptops and desktop still exist is because they will always be there remember all those tablets and Ipad need a laptop or desktop to program and design them…tablets and Ipad don’t design themselves…

Windows 8 seems to be trying to capture two different devices with the same OS.

It might be good for tablets, but I think MS is alienating their bread and butter. IE the PC users.

Metro isn’t very PC friendly. Most people have decently sized screesns with a mouse/keyboard combo.

Surely MS could of put out different editions of Windows 8. A tablet edition and a PC edition.

I tried out the release candidate. Metro might be cool on a tablet but I don’t like it all for the PC. I find myself trying to find ways to circumvent it.

I really think Microsoft missed the ball one this one. Abandoning the PC market (in which they have a huge presence) for a unproven tablet market.

I’m not sure what to think.

[QUOTE=Zod;2637895]

Surely MS could of put out different editions of Windows 8. A tablet edition and a PC edition.
.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. How difficult could it be.

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2637931]Exactly. How difficult could it be.[/QUOTE]
Must be very difficult - considering the fact that the code for a startmenu already exists :doh:

What I heard from my boss who recently visited Microsoft is that “the border belongs to the user - not the OS”

[QUOTE=Liggy;2637950]What I heard from my boss who recently visited Microsoft is that “the border belongs to the user - not the OS”[/QUOTE]
More like, “intelligence belongs to the user, not to Microsoft,” and they’re proving it day after day.

[QUOTE=MJPollard;2637999]More like, “intelligence belongs to the user, not to Microsoft,” and they’re proving it day after day.[/QUOTE]
:clap::iagree:

Waiting for a more thorough discussion about this topic with her. She got “Windows 8 on a USB key” from that meeting. She was not too negative about it. And I agree that Metro could potentially be a good user interface - but not when using mouse and keyboard, but only if you have a touchscreen and probably not too many people have that

Waiting for a more thorough discussion about this topic with her. She got “Windows 8 on a USB key” from that meeting. She was not too negative about it. And I agree that Metro could potentially be a good user interface - but not when using mouse and keyboard, but only if you have a touchscreen and probably not too many people have that[/QUOTE]

Yeah it’s ‘horses for courses’ as we say and in a way I think Microsoft is kind of trying to fit a round peg into a square hole if they’re not providing an alternative for desktop users. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Something tells me M$ will not care much for PC users if they can sell millions of copies of Windows 8 on tablets and Ultrabooks.

[QUOTE=Bunny;2638046]Something tells me M$ will not care much for PC users if they can sell millions of copies of Windows 8 on tablets and Ultrabooks.[/QUOTE]
They will even sell millions of Windows 8 copies for PCs - bundled with every new PC. :Z

[QUOTE=Liggy;2638066]They will even sell millions of Windows 8 copies for PCs - bundled with every new PC. :Z[/QUOTE]
Plus their “I[/I] recommends Windows 8” banners and logos everywhere and shop staff paid to push it upon unsuspecting users. :doh:

On the other hand, this might have a side-effect of keeping Windows 8 piracy rates down. I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft will brag about Windows 8 having the lowest ever piracy rates of any Windows OS by ignoring the fact that pirates don’t want it either. :disagree:

^
^^
In this case, I’m so glad I never buy a pre-built PC. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee;2638070]^
^^
In this case, I’m so glad I never buy a pre-built PC. :)[/QUOTE]

That shouldn’t matter. I bought a laptop with Vista pre-installed. I didn’t even turn it on before installing XP onto it.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2638066]They will even sell millions of Windows 8 copies for PCs - bundled with every new PC. :Z[/QUOTE]

Looks like we Techs will have an abundance of work again.
Removing the virus (Win 8) from your shiney new PC and installing a
sensible, funtional OS. Linux

Format C:, insert Linux disk, start working.