Fill free space with dummy data?

vbimport

For example when I burn 3GB ISO to DVD there’s still plenty of space left on media.

Is it possible to fill rest of the availalble space on disc with arbitrary (dummy) data so the disc capacity is 100% used?

Edit: To clarify I need this for couple of specific test scenarios.

You could use something like DVDisaster to fill up the DVD with recovery data (not dummy data). You would have to create an ISO image first.

Thank you for reply. How this would work in practice?
I need to write original ISO image plus dummy data in one closed session. It is critical that given disc still reads normally (and is unaware the existence of dummy data).

Maybe I’m asking something impossible, but I’d like to know if there’s a way :slight_smile:

You can use Dummy File Creator to create a file with the desired size and add it to the .iso with UltraIso.

[QUOTE=Harry4K;2767607]Thank you for reply. How this would work in practice?[/QUOTE] You start with (or create) an ISO image of what you need to write to the disc. Then you use DVDisaster to add redundancy to the ISO image; this is placed outside of the filesystem as far as I remember. Then yo burn the new expanded ISO image to a disc.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2767645]You start with (or create) an ISO image of what you need to write to the disc. Then you use DVDisaster to add redundancy to the ISO image; this is placed outside of the filesystem as far as I remember. Then yo burn the new expanded ISO image to a disc.[/QUOTE]
Outside of the file system? wouldn’t that mean as another session?

[QUOTE=Xercus;2767648]Outside of the file system? wouldn’t that mean as another session?[/QUOTE]

I would think it places them as additional blocks at the end of the image - an ISO can only contain one session

[QUOTE=Matth;2767652]I would think it places them as additional blocks at the end of the image - an ISO can only contain one session[/QUOTE]

:doh:If I actually invoked my brain before answering, I am aware of the 9660 restriction :rolleyes:

Could be I’m missing something here, but DVDisaster creates separate recovery file from the original ISO (ECC file).
How exactly can this be added to original iso as additional blocks, somehow using ISO editor? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Harry4K;2767687]Could be I’m missing something here, but DVDisaster creates separate recovery file from the original ISO (ECC file).
How exactly can this be added to original iso as additional blocks, somehow using ISO editor? :)[/QUOTE] DVDisaster can create a separate ECC file, but for this purpose it’s better to use the ability to “augment” an existing ISO image. You tell DVDisaster to use the Augmented image (RS02) method, point it at your existing ISO image, and tell it to Create the augmented image; this is done by adding ECC blocks at the end of the ISO image.

DVDisaster is currently not being developed for Windows, but the older 0.72-3 version is still available for download.

Excellent, result is exactly what I was looking for.
Augmented DVD ISO is always expanded to max. capacity while retaining original structure and can be burned to disc.
Thanks for the guidance DrageMester.

You’re welcome. Hope it does what you want.