Files to DVD - feature request

Hello,

I am a newbe here.
Have vainly tried to find a possible earlier posting on the below matter.

Some time back Nero started to focus on multimedia matters and right now Nero is full of bells and whistles I donot need. In fact, when installing I only select ‘burning ROM’.
By far Nero does not have the same features as DVDFab (removing protection, splitting DVDs, selecting audio and subtitles, things like that).

I am now comparing various products, like DVDFab, AnyDVD, DVD Cloner, 1Click DVD Copy, etc.
DVDFab I like most, nice and easy to understand GUI, it can rip fm harddisk to harddisk (which is handy in case you donot have he original DVD anymore and is faster), etc.

But close to the point that I wanted to say ‘bye bye’ to Nero I discovered that it is impossible to burn single files to DVD or CD. Just simple non-DVD files, like documents, photos whatever.

Now I still need Nero and have two applications on my system…

Likely this feature is not something DVDFab is designed for to do and is not it’s first priority, but I definitely think there is a market there.

People like me, who donot need all the extra’s Nero and alike are offering, because they have dedicated flexiable media-software to do that, but need the DVD-featurers of DVDFab (and similare software) but also wish to burn single non-DVD files.

Request is to add a feature to write “File to DVD/CD”.

Don’t know whether it is difficult to implement… DVDFab already has something like ‘File to Mobile’.

Thank you!

[QUOTE=mrwul;2282234]Hello,

I am a newbe here.
Have vainly tried to find a possible earlier posting on the below matter.

Some time back Nero started to focus on multimedia matters and right now Nero is full of bells and whistles I donot need. In fact, when installing I only select ‘burning ROM’.
By far Nero does not have the same features as DVDFab (removing protection, splitting DVDs, selecting audio and subtitles, things like that).

I am now comparing various products, like DVDFab, AnyDVD, DVD Cloner, 1Click DVD Copy, etc.
DVDFab I like most, nice and easy to understand GUI, it can rip fm harddisk to harddisk (which is handy in case you donot have he original DVD anymore and is faster), etc.

But close to the point that I wanted to say ‘bye bye’ to Nero I discovered that it is [B]impossible to burn single files to DVD or CD[/B]. Just simple non-DVD files, like documents, photos whatever.

Now I still need Nero and have two applications on my system…

Likely this feature is not something DVDFab is designed for to do and is not it’s first priority, but I definitely think there is a market there.

People like me, who donot need all the extra’s Nero and alike are offering, because they have dedicated flexiable media-software to do that, but need the DVD-featurers of DVDFab (and similare software) but also wish to burn single non-DVD files.

[B]Request[/B] is to add a feature to write “File to DVD/CD”.

Don’t know whether it is difficult to implement… DVDFab already has something like ‘File to Mobile’.

Thank you!
==[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum!

I’ve read your request, and as usual, I have a couple of comments.

Single layer DVDs have a data storage capacity of 4.7 GB, and dual layer DVDs are almost double that. Most of those two kinds that you see on store shelves are the write-once variety (more in a moment).

The exception to those are the RW kinds, which are eraseable and re-writeable, but there are limitations there, too.

CDs, of course, have significantly less storage room available, and suffer from the same limitations as DVDs. (Again, more later).

Now, please never use the word ‘impossible’. It is possible to write a single file (photo, data, whatever), using Nero.

If you select the ‘Make Data Disk’ option, your next screen will allow you to start adding files for the write. When you click on add, a new window will open, allowing you to narrow down your search. As long as you stick to the little plus signs (+) beside each option - like My Computer, Local Disk C, etc. - it is possible to enter a target folder, and select an individual file.

And Nero will write that one file, with a major limitation…the only way you can retrieve that file, especially if the file was written in ‘append’ mode (in other words, written with the hope of being able to add other files at a later time) is, with (I think) the same version of Nero, and definitely the same OS.

In other words, if you wrote that file with Windows XP, and Santa brought you a new computer with Vista on it, that single file could not be retrieved with the Vista OS from that DVD (CD). The same holds true for RW disks.

The only dodge around that is to write the file as if it’s to be the only file on the disk…that makes it OS free - any OS should read that DVD.

But the other aspect of this (just how big is a single file going to get - several MB - maybe even a couple of hundred MB), still seems like a terrible waste of storage space for one DVD (not to mention the accumulated cost, if you do this alot) and makes it seem almost ridiculous.

Makes me long for the days when at least 3.5" floppies were still installed on computers. They were good for that sorrt of thing.

Another dodge around that DVD-single file situation is to email the file to yourself. As long as your email storage is intact, the file will always be available, and should be accessable by any OS with a program capable of reading that kind of file, but it’ll still be cluttering up your HD, though the cost of HD storage has dropped so much as not to really be an issue these days.

Don’t think I’ve sounded too encouraging… sorry about that.

OC

:slight_smile:

Hello to you,

Thank you very much for your elaborate reply.

I was wondering, maybe I did not express myself clearly and I discovered that indeed this was the case… :o :o

Where I wrote

‘bye bye’ to Nero I discovered that it is impossible to burn single files to DVD or CD. Just simple non-DVD files, like documents, photos whatever.

I should have written

‘bye bye’ to Nero I discovered that it is impossible to burn single files to DVD or CD [U]using DVDFab[/U]. Just simple non-DVD files, like documents, photos whatever.

I have been using Nero for many many years now, but they fail to have a suite that does what DVDFab does (removing copy protection, removing subtitles, etc.)

In fact I would need DVDFab but DVDFab should also offer the feature of burning single non-DVD-files, like documents.

This area is again covered by Nero.

Bottomline:
I need DVDFab for all DVD-matters, including removing copy protection, ec.
I need Nero for burning NON-DVD files
(I know Nero can burn DVD’s, but then again, it misses a lot of DVDFab things)

For that reason DVDFab should have an extra feature File to DVD.

In that case I can remove Nero and there is no need for 2 licenses.

==

[QUOTE=mrwul;2282463]Hello to you,

Thank you very much for your elaborate reply.

I was wondering, maybe I did not express myself clearly and I discovered that indeed this was the case… :o :o

Where I wrote

‘bye bye’ to Nero I discovered that it is impossible to burn single files to DVD or CD. Just simple non-DVD files, like documents, photos whatever.

I should have written

‘bye bye’ to Nero I discovered that it is impossible to burn single files to DVD or CD [U]using DVDFab[/U]. Just simple non-DVD files, like documents, photos whatever.

I have been using Nero for many many years now, but they fail to have a suite that does what DVDFab does (removing copy protection, removing subtitles, etc.)

In fact I would need DVDFab but DVDFab should also offer the feature of burning single non-DVD-files, like documents.

This area is again covered by Nero.

Bottomline:
I need DVDFab for all DVD-matters, including removing copy protection, ec.
I need Nero for burning NON-DVD files
(I know Nero can burn DVD’s, but then again, it misses a lot of DVDFab things)

For that reason DVDFab should have an extra feature File to DVD.

In that case I can remove Nero and there is no need for 2 licenses.

==[/QUOTE]

The best thing you can do at this point is to check out the top of this forum. There is a thread there (READ FIRST) that covers feature requests for DVDFab.

Suggest you post your request in that thread, and the program’s authors will consider your request along with all the others that come in.

Thanks for your ideas.

OC

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just posted my feature request there.

Frankly speaking, I hesitated to do this as I have seen ‘feature request’ threads on other forums to have over 200-250 pages.
In the end there is/was a lot of discussion about everything except feature requests.

Therefore I can imagine that the developers are not looking anymore into such threads.

Anyway, let’s see - hopefully the developer will be looking into this one… :slight_smile:

==

[QUOTE=mrwul;2282772]Thanks for the suggestion.

Frankly speaking, I hesitated to do this as I have seen ‘feature request’ threads on other forums to have over 200-250 pages.
In the end there is/was a lot of discussion about everything except feature requests.

Therefore [B]I can imagine that the developers are not looking anymore into such threads.[/B]
Anyway, let’s see - hopefully the developer will be looking into this one… :slight_smile:

==[/QUOTE]

That maybe the case on other forums like you stated by not here , or we wouldn’t have all the features we have today and they are still being added after bugs get worked out :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=mrwul;2282772]Thanks for the suggestion.

Therefore I can imagine that the developers are not looking anymore into such threads.

==[/QUOTE]

The only reason I made the suggestion I did is because suggestions made here in the general threads eventually get shuffled off the first page by new threads, and because of that, tend to get forgotten by all (including the developers/programmers).

At least posted in the appropriate thread, they’re always there for review, when that thread is reviewed by those concerned.

I know I came across as somewhat negative to your idea, but, I’m not one of the developers/programmers, and my opinion is not the one that counts. In that thread, they’ll get to see it and decide its merits.

And they do review that thread on a regular basis.

OC

Don’t worry - definitely no problem.

As said, I have posted my message there and am keeping my fingers and even my toes crossed …:slight_smile:

Hope developers will get back my suggestion.