File Too Large to fit on the CD (HP dvd writer dvd300i)

[qanda]This thread is about the HP dvd writer dvd300i. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just want to burn an 80 megabyte mp3 file to a CD. It says “700 MB” capacity on the CD. HP’s “Record Now” software tells me the file is too large to fit on the CD. What am I doing wrong??
Thanks,
Nick

Are you trying to burn as MP3 or standard Audio CD…
What is the playing time of the MP3?
If burning as MP3, burn a DATA CD…
If burning a standard AUDIO CD, then chances are the MP3’s playing time exceeds the CD’s max playing time…74-80 min max…

Thanks for the reply-
I selected “make a music disc from audio files” which I assume is a standard audio CD.
I can’t find a time for the run, but you’re right- I think it’s 'way over the 80 minute limit. I’ll try as a data disc. This won’t run in a CD player, tho, correct?

[QUOTE=Niko48;2294735]Thanks for the reply-
I selected “make a music disc from audio files” which I assume is a standard audio CD. [/quote]:iagree:

I can’t find a time for the run,
Just load the file in your favourite media player software. :wink:
I’ll try as a data disc. This won’t run in a CD player, tho, correct?
That’s correct.
In doubt, read the manual of the player since newer players may have support for mp3 and/or wma.

Michael

In doubt, read the manual of the player since newer players may have support for mp3 and/or wma.[/QUOTE]
Good car players have been playing .mp3’s from a data CD for quite a while .
Finding a manual written well enough for most players is difficult.
So just burn it as a data CD & see if any or all of your players will play it.
Also a lot of DVD players will play it.
My older CD player won’t play these but I have my settop DVD player connected to my stereo receiver & that’s how I play a data CD of .mp3’s.
I can get approx 8 albums on one so 80 MB should be no problem.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great. I loaded the complete mp3 file into Audacity and split it into two files. Made separate CD’s out of both halves. This is a lecture, so doesn’t matter about continuity. Thanks for the more complete understanding of this stuff. It will help us as we develop our teaching tools.
Best,
Niko:)